The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Sat. Oct. 22, 2022 Buffalo Sabres(3-1-0) @ Vancouver Canucks(0-3-2) 7:00pm PT at Rogers Arena (HOME ICE!) HNIC SNP SN650AM

Rate this topic

Goal:thecup

49 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

What would you expect from the "KING Of Leaky Condo" Builder !

Thing is you don't really need to fill the arena to make a profit as a NHL owner. You are A) guaranteed 51% revenue every year B) league distributes revenues between all teams so even a low market team makes money C) Owners make more money off TV deal than ticket sales D) Radio rights and streaming revenue E) Forget merch sales + arena food- the biggest revenue is ARENA BOARD advertisements and now with digital advertising that revenue has doubled and ON top of that Canucks now have TD on the helmet and jersey so there is even more revenue.

Aqua man mentioned Canucks income is like 30 million a year and is one of his biggest money making business's. 

Edited by CanuckRookieFan
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

I was against moving the Utica team to Abby and scratch my head over what I was thinking of? The fact that Juulson can possibly play for the Canucks after playing last night is a major positive.  

The fans is Utica were fantastic, and it's far away from our media. So that's understandable.

5 hours ago, Googlie said:

How so?  10 points in 9 games is over .500

4-3-2 is over .500

I get that we'd have won 4 and lost 5, but the point for a regulation tie is part of the calculus 

What am I missing?

(I still wish we'd go to the IIHF 3-2-1 system (3 points for a reg win, 1 point each for a reg tie with a second point for the OT winner) where every match is worth the same number of points, not some worth 3 and others just 2

Available points Awarded

the Canucks currently have 2 points

but they have given up 10 points

they have accrued 2/12 available points, their winning % is .166

if they win the next 4 games in regulation they will have 10 points in 9 games

but they will have given up 10 points in 9 games, they will be at .500, not above

if they win the next 4 games in OT / SO they will have 10 points in 9 games and have given up 14 points

of the 24 points allotted they will have picked up 10, so they will be amassing points at a rate of .416, not 500 or .555 ( 10 points in 9 games appears to be .555)

This is all a product of the NHL not understanding math

the concept of .500 hockey should have died a peaceful death with the advent of the loser point

remember all the talk about "the Historical record books" when the NHL refused to go to a full 3 point system

the "Historical record books" were ruined with the advent of the loser point, but the NHL has pulled the wool over the eyes of any fan that chooses or cannot do simple math

in summary

the old days

2 points awarded, each team take 1 point, 1 divided by 2 = .5 or .50 or .500 or .5000000, we  call it five hundred

you can use the same method to find the "true" points % by dividing points taken by total points awarded

if the Canucks win the next 4 games, but win 1-2 or 3 giving up a loser point their winning % will be different with each scenario

but you can use this formula for their winning %

This is important when playing teams in your division or even conference, but not so important when playing the East, (until you make the finals, where 1 loser point might give you home ice advantage)

Math is fun

Edited by lmm
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Ghostsof1915 said:

The fans is Utica were fantastic, and it's far away from our media. So that's understandable.

I miss the Utica fanbase, they were great. Fantastic jerseys too. 

I liked having our prospects further away from this fishbowl but the convenience is nice. 

18 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Going to the game tonight so they better win! They've gotta break through at some point.. (right?!?)

If they lose in regulation I could see them getting boo'ed off the ice.. but we'll see!

GCG

Don't be surprised if a jersey or two appear out  of nowhere after the team setting new Historical Low of lows - unseen in recorded human history on this planet!

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Going to the game tonight so they better win! They've gotta break through at some point.. (right?!?)

If they lose in regulation I could see them getting boo'ed off the ice.. but we'll see!

GCG

Pls report back on how many fans you see with paper bags on their heads because sometimes that's hidden off TV especially in the upper bowl where "REAL FANS" are seated.

• Vintage 1