The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Bruins trade Jack Studnicka to Canucks for Michael DiPietro, Jonathan Myrenberg

Someone please remind me, how long we held on for JV and OJ hoping they would be fantastic?

The team is in need of a centre man/prospect and the cost is a defender picked in the 5th round...

Warhippy posted a list of our RHD prospects drafted since 2004 and that lest was less than impressive, so forgive me for not walking the plank in disappointment or anger over this...

Canucks probably have the biggest front office ever, so if they can't assess the likelihood of it being an NHL'er, what's the point?

Management have shown they are in the retool mode, so it may make sense...

If it we were rebuilding it probably wouldn't make much sense, as a long shot is better than no shot... 

Time will tell...

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, JM_ said:

he's good now, but he nearly got bounced out of the league before finding his footing in FLA. Its a good example of how you never really know how some prospects will turn out, sometimes they suck for one of two teams and are good for another. Its why we can't freak out over these minor deals, maybe this time the guy we got is the "Forsling" but what I do know is no one knows.

People seem to be mad on principle, and thats fair. But no one knows what the real quality of any of the players are in the deal yet. 

I know right. Boston’s a deep team  they used his value whilst accommodating studs needs. This “ minor “ deal  is in studs hands now.  Grab that ring kid.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, chon derry said:

I know right. Boston’s a deep team  they used his value whilst accommodating studs needs. This “ minor “ deal  is in studs hands now.  Grab that ring kid.  

from the snippets on him, I'm hoping for a Motte that can take face-offs. 

• Cheers 3

At this stage of Studnicka's development, it seems he's probably a sure NHLer but in a bottom-6 role.  He still has top-6 or middle-6 upside, so that's what we'll have to wait and see as and when he is given an opportunity (which I assume will be soon given all the injuries).

Giving up DiPietro is neither here nor there (at this point - it's a shame how he has been handled).  I don't like giving up Myrenberg but there's still a long road between his promising development and actually becoming an NHLer.  What I don't like about giving up the most is that he's developing well and he's still only 19 years old, but even with his promise he's probably still several years away before possibly getting a chance in the NHL.  The team is also bereft of RHD prospects that it just feels strange to deal pretty much the only promising one.  Having said that, the odds of Myrenberg becoming a NHL D, let alone a top-4 NHL RHD, is so low that I don't necessarily blame management for trading him to get a better qualitiy prospect.  

My suspicion is that the signing and good play of Filip Johansson (in the SHL) might have made management more willing to give up Myrenberg. Johansson is far more likely to have an NHL opportunity in the next 1-2 years.  If Myrenberg becomes a top-4 RHD in the NHL someday, then that will obviously be disappointing, but the odds are low for that happening (not that I don't wish it for him) and the problem for the Canucks isn't so much about the loss of Myrenberg but the severe lack of other prospects at his position.

Studnicka is a prospect that I thought the Canucks should have interest in but it's certainly not encouraging that he has had a tough time making the Bruins roster.  Additionally, he's described as a C but my understanding is he now projects more as a winger.  Hopefully Studnicka can solidify himself as a NHL-level C as that would give the Canucks more flexibility for line-ups, especially with Miller having shifted to the wing again.  Personally, if Studnicka can play C and at least be a serviceable 3C who kills penalties and can contribute a bit on offence (at least for this season), then I think this trade is decent with a possible future sting of seeing Myrenberg become a serviceable NHL D.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 3

10 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

So now we're comparing Myrenberg to Lidstrom? Cya guys... :lol:

Nobody is comparing them at all.  Someone rightfully pointed out that at the jr level by today's standards lidstroms production would make him equally as expendable because he'd be a long shot.

Don't overthink things to much

2 hours ago, JM_ said:

if Studnika turns into a RH3C for us, and Myrenberg a bottom 6 RHD or less its a win for us. If Myrenberg turns into a middle pair RHD then it was bad. No one knows what either of these guys will be, have to wait and see. 

Absolutely we have to wait and see. That said and others have voiced their skepticism. With the moves like these over the years, the short term trade as not benefited this franchise. Forsling for Clendenning, a 2nd that turned out to be Ramus Andersson for Bärtchi among other shortcut trades that hasn’t moved the needle at all.

Not that this trade moves either teams, it’s the principle that the team isn’t patient enough to allow our own D prospects to develop and graduate onto the team. 

No question we won’t know who becomes what for years, but the skepticism of have impatience from the top is warranted as we have seen this play out before. 

On another note, what trade that was focused on the here and now, in the last fifteen years and three different management teams has come out as a win? Miller comes to mind but there aren’t many. That’s where I’m coming from JM. We need to have a long term plan, especially on RD and I can’t see us contending in the here and now. 

The most likely scenario is that both players are nothing burgers, as you said we will have to wait and see. 

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Cheers 1

If he can be a 3rd line C option this helps to replace what Dickenson was supposed to bring. Also Helping the club become in a better financial position to make a move for a big player in the future. I like these kinds of moves and want the team to make more of them. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, EP Phone Home said:

It's funny that people on here are saying how he is 5-6 years away and yet you look at our prospect pool on RD and wonder why we don't have many. Is 4-5 years too long for this management/organization to develop Defensemen? The words that stuck out to me in all this is "he is an interesting player but he is 5 years away" so basically don't bother developing Defense because that's how long it usually takes. While sure he could be nothing. It's the principle of not being patient enough to show the fruits of your labor. It takes a long time to get D prospects to make the team. The teams impatience of drafting and developing shows. But what do we know WH, mere mortal fans that are tired of seeing this.

Yup.

I'm upset over losing an RHD prospect that was doing everything right and trending upwards.

But I'm far more upset at Allvins comments about why.  5 years is to much?  Too long?  That essentially floats the suggestion that we're not willing to be patient with prospects or development.

Our last actual group of successfully developed prospects was Bieksa, Burrows, Kesler Hansen and Edler.

Essentially we're hearing outright without question we're not going to look to the future we're looking to the now.  The now with a core that can't get it done with a program that has needed to be scratched since 2012.

Possibly the most frustrating thing about this trade, is we traded two prospects, one who wanted out; for a 2 week injury replacement in Studnicka.

Except, the guy he's filling in for in Lazar, is the SAME guy Studnicka couldn't outplay for a roster spot in Boston over the last two years on the 4th line.

Makes zero sense.  At all.  Eventually the team will have to be torn down to the foundation because we cant tear it down to the studs when we don't have any

Edited by Warhippy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

History of trading with the Bruins:

Vancouver Aquires:

Chris Oddleifson
Fred O`Donnell
rights to Mike Walton

Cash

Barry Pederson

Peter McNab

1989 12th round pick (#248-Jan Bergman)

1992 2nd round pick (#40-Michael Peca)

1998 8th round pick (#219-Curtis Valentine)

Future Considerations

Jason Studnicka

Boston Acquires: 

Bobby Schmautz

Mike Stevens

Cam Neely
1987 1st round pick (#3-Glen Wesley)

Jim Nill

Frank Caprice

Grant Ledyard

Petr Skriko 

Jiri Slegr

Mike Dipetro

Jonathan Myrenberg

Moral of the story: DON'T TRADE WITH BOSTON

Edited by Aladeen
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

If he can be a 3rd line C option this helps to replace what Dickenson was supposed to bring. Also Helping the club become in a better financial position to make a move for a big player in the future. I like these kinds of moves and want the team to make more of them. 

Or...  he helps the team just enough to miss the playoffs picking once again in the middle of the first round rather than a high first round pick that could have actually contributed to moving the needle on this team. 

If the Canucks were contending for the division and were a team poised to take a shot at the Cup, do this move all day, everyday, but they're not, so that's why the trade is not a good one. 

The trade itself is not a bad one one it's when viewing it from the context of where this team is at and what they need to do to actually challenge for the Cup, which is, what I thought was the point of all this in the first place. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

38 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

Absolutely we have to wait and see. That said and others have voiced their skepticism. With the moves like these over the years, the short term trade as not benefited this franchise. Forsling for Clendenning, a 2nd that turned out to be Ramus Andersson for Bärtchi among other shortcut trades that hasn’t moved the needle at all.

Not that this trade moves either teams, it’s the principle that the team isn’t patient enough to allow our own D prospects to develop and graduate onto the team. 

No question we won’t know who becomes what for years, but the skepticism of have impatience from the top is warranted as we have seen this play out before. 

On another note, what trade that in the last fifteen years and three different management teams has come out as a win? Miller comes to mind but there aren’t many. That’s where I’m coming from JM. We need to have a long term plan, especially on RD and I can’t see us contending in the here and now. 

The most likely scenario is that both players are nothing burgers, as you said we will have to wait and see. 

yep I get that. But people also lose their shiz over principles way too much on here. I guess to a hammer everything looks like a nail. 

The odds that Myrenberg was going to see any NHL time or make the club was very, very low statistically. People on here acting that just because he was right handed he had some sort of inflated value.  He was a 5th round pick, which means he has a 34% chance of playing one NHL game , and a 7.5% chance to play 100 NHL games. 

People place too much emphasis and value on picks outside the first two rounds, because statistically outside those rounds the success rate of becoming a regular NHL contributor drop off dramatically. Yes, Myrenberg was a RHD, and yes that's a position of need but you can't inflate a players value and future based on that alone. He doesn't have a better chance or batter odds to make the team because he's a RHD lol By the time he would be ready to compete for a spot this team would very likely have other RHD on the roster. 

This is a trade to do DiPietro a favor and move him somewhere where he'll get some playing time and we sweetened the deal with a low tier mid-late round pick defenseman. Not likely a franchise altering move. 

• Cheers 1