The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ethan Bear | #74 | D

-AJ-

51 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

There may be a chance that they do not qualify him but look to re-sign him as a UFA for a shorter term and slightly less money in a show me contract. Stranger things have happened.

If the plan is to retain him it makes sense, can't overspend on bottom pairing D or bottom pairing tweeners. I've no issues with letting Bear walk to UFA if we can find an upgrade, be that via UFA, trade, or internal promotion. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

If he's injured, not taking a chance of having his service with potential months of missing games with just one year contract and cost of qualifying at a higher salary is not worth it.  That is why if I'm a player, I wouldn't risk my career if I'm pending free agent by playing world championships even if it's an honor to play for my own country unless I'm under contract for next season.  Let him go UFA and try to sign him at a cheaper rate but I'm thinking teams will risk scooping him up at a lower cost than the qualifying and he choose to go better team than the Canucks.

• Cheers 1

Classic Canuck luck. At least we didn’t sign him before he got injured this time.  

2 months recovery does give him time before the season but, yeah, risky stuff.  Wonder how this affects our offseason.  

Another year of OEL-Myers doesn’t sound fun.

7 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Classic Canuck luck. At least we didn’t sign him before he got injured this time.  

2 months recovery does give him time before the season but, yeah, risky stuff.  Wonder how this affects our offseason.  

Another year of OEL-Myers doesn’t sound fun.

My first thought was 'Oh $hit!'

I instantly see an OEL year coming from this guy.

Trying to be ready for training camp and not totally ready or having the surgery and not joining the group until later in the season. The two options if they resign him. 

Begs the question if they should resign him under the present circumstances. Can they afford the time to wait for him to heal. He did go to the World Championships on his own accord, a chance I think every player that goes takes. 

Looking back on OEL's past season and thinking Bear could have a similar season makes me simply wonder if Vancouver should move on from this guy. A tough heartless business decision.

I'm sure it's on the option board. 

$hit luck for both Vancouver and Bear. 

• Cheers 1

17 minutes ago, aqua59 said:

My first thought was 'Oh $hit!'

I instantly see an OEL year coming from this guy.

Trying to be ready for training camp and not totally ready or having the surgery and not joining the group until later in the season. The two options if they resign him. 

Begs the question if they should resign him under the present circumstances. Can they afford the time to wait for him to heal. He did go to the World Championships on his own accord, a chance I think every player that goes takes. 

Looking back on OEL's past season and thinking Bear could have a similar season makes me simply wonder if Vancouver should move on from this guy. A tough heartless business decision.

I'm sure it's on the option board. 

$hit luck for both Vancouver and Bear. 

Yep just all around crappy situation.  With Hughes, Hronek and Bear we were small but could at least get the puck out of our own zone. 

With us being so close to the cap even his 1 year QO is significant so it’s a pretty big decision.

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Yep just all around crappy situation.  With Hughes, Hronek and Bear we were small but could at least get the puck out of our own zone. 

With us being so close to the cap even his 1 year QO is significant so it’s a pretty big decision.

Can they afford to walk on Bear?

1 hour ago, aqua59 said:

Can they afford to walk on Bear?

Personally, I don’t think so unless they’re particularly worried about the injury.  

I’m high on Bear and I’ve read some things about how his underlying numbers match what I saw this season - he simply played good hockey for us. 

https://canucksarmy.com/news/amp/ethan-bear-demonstrably-made-his-canucks-teammates-better-throughout-2022-23 )

He’s the type of guy we’ll be always on the hunt to upgrade on but right now looks like a solid placeholder on the right side and won’t break the bank.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Personally, I don’t think so unless they’re particularly worried about the injury.  

I’m high on Bear and I’ve read some things about how his underlying numbers match what I saw this season - he simply played good hockey for us. 

https://canucksarmy.com/news/amp/ethan-bear-demonstrably-made-his-canucks-teammates-better-throughout-2022-23 )

He’s the type of guy we’ll be always on the hunt to upgrade on but right now looks like a solid placeholder on the right side and won’t break the bank.

I like his game as well but see him more as a regular season d-man. Playoffs not so much. Canucks have to get bigger on the back end. Bear doesn't do that for them if Hughes and Hronek are keepers. 

30 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I like his game as well but see him more as a regular season d-man. Playoffs not so much. Canucks have to get bigger on the back end. Bear doesn't do that for them if Hughes and Hronek are keepers. 

We need to get older on D too. The average age of the Vegas D is early 30’s. We only have OEL and Myers in that age group. Need more of those 30+ guys. 

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Bears at The bottom of the top 4 and at the top of the bottom 4. Seriously he can play in any situation.                          “ Hamhuis Lite”

• Cheers 1

56 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Yeah, I can see us trying to upgrade on him next offseason - could be easier to do if he has another good season and has some value. 

In the meantime, I’m happy enough to have him as at least he’s shown he can play and has chemistry with OEL and Hughes.  He should grow in value with another good season.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

Yeah, I can see us trying to upgrade on him next offseason - could be easier to do if he has another good season and has some value. 

In the meantime, I’m happy enough to have him as at least he’s shown he can play and has chemistry with OEL and Hughes.  He should grow in value with another good season.

I'd have to agree, barring this injury tripping things up I'd have to have more faith in the coaching structure to continue his game growth better than Bruce's system brought to the table. 

This damn injury is the wild card. Thats the chance any player takes playing outside of the NHL and I just hope it goes well for him. I'd just get the operation over with because it always seems in theses cases that they hope the injury will heal and over time it doesn't and they end up operating. i just hope they don't fumble around with the decision to operate.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, aqua59 said:

I'd have to agree, barring this injury tripping things up I'd have to have more faith in the coaching structure to continue his game growth better than Bruce's system brought to the table. 

This damn injury is the wild card. Thats the chance any player takes playing outside of the NHL and I just hope it goes well for him. I'd just get the operation over with because it always seems in theses cases that they hope the injury will heal and over time it doesn't and they end up operating. i just hope they don't fumble around with the decision to operate.

Yeah,  Bear’s health isn’t getting the discussion it warrants.  Having him AND Hronek on the right side is a huge step towards actually playing decent hockey.  

Only one leaves a big Myers-sized hole. Hope he makes the decision and starts the road to recovery asap!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Alflives said:

We need to get older on D too. The average age of the Vegas D is early 30’s. We only have OEL and Myers in that age group. Need more of those 30+ guys. 

Chris Chelios is 61, if we get him in our lineup, our average age will shoot right up and pass Vegas

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

Not sure I'd be willing to give him more than a 1 year deal at this point.

Still a lot he needs to prove before you make a sizeable bet on him long term.  Not a great gamble by him going to the Worlds without a deal in place. Certainly now opens a door for the likes of Woo, Juulsen, and others to outshine him now.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Not sure I'd be willing to give him more than a 1 year deal at this point.

Still a lot he needs to prove before you make a sizeable bet on him long term.  Not a great gamble by him going to the Worlds without a deal in place. Certainly now opens a door for the likes of Woo, Juulsen, and others to outshine him now.

Same. He's serviceable, but nothing special. 

• Like 1