The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Have you given up on this season. Let's take a poll!

Rate this topic

Ghostsof1915

Is the season over? Yes, No, Maybe?  

283 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Confession: I've already pulled a rare delayed watch.  After they were 0-7 in wins for the Seattle game.  Where I admit I couldn't bear to watch another painful game of them blowing a lead in real time.  So I got some other work done, waited until it was over, and then looked at the score to decide if I would watch it, recorded.  They won! So I watched it.  Its getting to that point again for me.  There's only so much suffering a fan can take! :unsure:

I delay watch all the games

I can't watch Murph, Sat, Ian or  dude who sits beside Sat, most of the player interviews, Keys to the game, Subway Something or Other, the Anthems, the first Nations, the siren, Amber, McLean, the Panel, even when Bieksa is on it, John and John talking about pizza, oh and the ads

I usually get the game down to an hour and a half

Some games recently I fast forward through the "action" as well

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, lmm said:

I delay watch all the games

I can't watch Murph, Sat, Ian or  dude who sits beside Sat, most of the player interviews, Keys to the game, Subway Something or Other, the Anthems, the first Nations, the siren, Amber, McLean, the Panel, even when Bieksa is on it, John and John talking about pizza, oh and the ads

I usually get the game down to an hour and a half

Some games recently I fast forward through the "action" as well

Sadly, I've been doing the same for years - I can watch a complete hockey broadcast in less than 30min.  Partially because of time (busy family, young kids, ect....) and partially just because the 'in-between stuff' is just a complete waste of my time.  I do this with regular television programs as well - my time is worth more to me these days than to watch commercials. 

Really the only games I watch live without PVR is sports playoffs that have the possibility to end in OT sudden death - and then it's really only because I have a very old/cheap PVR that can't be programmed to end exactly when the live sport event ends. 

2 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Sadly, I've been doing the same for years - I can watch a complete hockey broadcast in less than 30min.  Partially because of time (busy family, young kids, ect....) and partially just because the 'in-between stuff' is just a complete waste of my time.  I do this with regular television programs as well - my time is worth more to me these days than to watch commercials. 

Really the only games I watch live without PVR is sports playoffs that have the possibility to end in OT sudden death - and then it's really only because I have a very old/cheap PVR that can't be programmed to end exactly when the live sport event ends. 

I can program my PVR to end an hour after the scheduled time

but it is a new season and those need to be reset

every year this time, there is a game of two the stop with 3 minutes to play

its always a tie or one goal game, never a 7-1 blow out

I'll follow my last post with an optimistic one.   I am puzzled somewhat by the Canucks horrible start.  Its partly because of new players inserted into the lineup, which keeps changing every game.  Injuries. New shuffling of lines due to injuries. Underperformance of players like OEL Myers, Boeser, Demko.

But it shouldn't be this bad.  And I don't believe the team is this bad.  This is basically the same team that was the second best team in the league in the last half of last season.

I still think this team could gel fairly rapidly and do some damage. To me its more a question of....when that happens, just like last season....will it be too late? 

I know the temptation is to blow it all up immediately.  But I'll give them 20 games.  If they still show no signs of recovery, I'll have to rethink the urgency for a rebuild.  But even then, I think a change in coaches, might be tried first.  It would be such a tragedy to waste Pettersson's best years stripping down the team. Along with Hughes and Millers and Bos as well.  First see what a strict disciplinarian with a tough detail demanding systems coach could do with this squad. Probably too late by then for this season, but maybe a different style of coach could start to instill some discipline in details defensively by the seasons end.  JR is right, a full scale rebuild will take a long time.  And there is no guarantee that it will work as planned. Sometimes it does in short order...Rangers.  Sometimes it takes a long time....Buffalo. Sometimes it takes forever....Edmonton.

I hate that it usually comes down to something completely unrelated to hockey.  Or how much the owner spends to the cap. Even who is the GM or coach.  It comes down to simple LUCK.   Luck of the lottery.  And also the luck of players developing as you envision them to.  There is only so much scouts can predict about even top prospects. We will still see a Alexandre Daigle at #1, and a Pavel Datsyuk at #171.  And everything in between.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, lmm said:

I can program my PVR to end an hour after the scheduled time

but it is a new season and those need to be reset

every year this time, there is a game of two the stop with 3 minutes to play

its always a tie or one goal game, never a 7-1 blow out

My problem is PO and OT when the broadcast goes an undetermined amount of time after the regularly scheduled broadcast window - I can't program my PVR to stop recording a program that has no definite end time? 

After 20 games, teams not in the top 8 of their conference overwhelmingly do not make the second season. At least .500 hockey at that point or golfing in April!

Canucks have 6 points in their first 10 games. They will need to gather 14 points in the next 10 games to be at .500. 

That's 7 wins out of 10! A turnaround that drastic, that quickly, is almost unfathomable to me.

Still...I have not written off this season yet.

12 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I watch online Rogers streaming.  Similar to PVR in that I can skip forward for commercials and period breaks, any stoppage in play actually.

But I usually like to watch it in real time if I can. Something about knowing that the action is happening at the moment is important.  Someone do a study on that!

The other reason to watch it live is to cheer....or commiserate.....with my fellow CDCers on the GDT.  Closet thing to watching it in a pub filled with Canuck fans.

The only reason I would watch it later this way, was because I was busy or away at the time of the game. Which happens.  What I'm talking about is deliberately not watching it until I know the game is over and I see what the score is.  And then maybe not watching at all depending on if they won. Sacrilege I freely admit.  That is something I have rarely ever done if at all.  But I've done that once already this season.  My heart just can't take it.  Go Canucks Go

Yeah I have, not because of our record, but because I'm not seeing any positive signs that we can turn it around. It's not like we have been playing well and just running into hot goalies or getting unlucky. We're getting completely outplayed in every facet of the game. We're being outshot, we're not generating quality scoring chances, our special teams are brutal, and players like Brock and JT, who we re-signed to lucrative contracts last season, are underperforming. 

I don't see the process being there where I can say "ok if we do this, this, and this, we can turn it around." I don't see this group having the skill or the character to do that.

I haven't given up on the team but as we saw last season, the 20-25 game mark clearly tells the tale of what's possible.

I can't believe I'm going to say this, because I've never been a tank guy ...

BUT ...

With each passing day, it's just making more and more sense for us to be gunning for Bedard or at least have a shot at the Top 5 of the draft. The talent in the top 4-5 is just too good and it's a deeper draft. We need elite franchise talent to turn this thing around.

We should also be thinking of moves to somehow get another 1st in 2023. If we could come out of the next draft with a Top 3 pick and another good first rounder, that'll do wonders in the immediate short-term. 

Gunning to squeak into the playoffs isn't going to get us the young talent we desperately need. This organization needs a first overall or elite second/third. We're just spinning our wheels here each year. 

If we're going to do something like this, do it THIS YEAR. 

Part of me is hoping we turn it around and we have a special season. The other part of me is 100% fine with finishing at the top of the Bedard sweepstakes or the highest draft spot we can. 

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

My problem is PO and OT when the broadcast goes an undetermined amount of time after the regularly scheduled broadcast window - I can't program my PVR to stop recording a program that has no definite end time? 

I have Telus PVR 

I can record for 3 hours past the scheduled time

24 minutes ago, lmm said:

I have Telus PVR 

I can record for 3 hours past the scheduled time

I have Shaw - they keep phoning me and leaving messages that I am eligible to 'upgrade' to a better system, but then I keep thinking, isn't anyone eligible to upgrade if they pay for it lol....

2 hours ago, kilgore said:

I'll follow my last post with an optimistic one.   I am puzzled somewhat by the Canucks horrible start.  Its partly because of new players inserted into the lineup, which keeps changing every game.  Injuries. New shuffling of lines due to injuries. Underperformance of players like OEL Myers, Boeser, Demko.

But it shouldn't be this bad.  And I don't believe the team is this bad.  This is basically the same team that was the second best team in the league in the last half of last season.

I still think this team could gel fairly rapidly and do some damage. To me its more a question of....when that happens, just like last season....will it be too late? 

I know the temptation is to blow it all up immediately.  But I'll give them 20 games.  If they still show no signs of recovery, I'll have to rethink the urgency for a rebuild.  But even then, I think a change in coaches, might be tried first.  It would be such a tragedy to waste Pettersson's best years stripping down the team. Along with Hughes and Millers and Bos as well.  First see what a strict disciplinarian with a tough detail demanding systems coach could do with this squad. Probably too late by then for this season, but maybe a different style of coach could start to instill some discipline in details defensively by the seasons end.  JR is right, a full scale rebuild will take a long time.  And there is no guarantee that it will work as planned. Sometimes it does in short order...Rangers.  Sometimes it takes a long time....Buffalo. Sometimes it takes forever....Edmonton.

I hate that it usually comes down to something completely unrelated to hockey.  Or how much the owner spends to the cap. Even who is the GM or coach.  It comes down to simple LUCK.   Luck of the lottery.  And also the luck of players developing as you envision them to.  There is only so much scouts can predict about even top prospects. We will still see a Alexandre Daigle at #1, and a Pavel Datsyuk at #171.  And everything in between.

When i take all the emotion out of it , i don't think this team is bad at all. Look around at the rest of the league. There is some awfully lean forward groups out there. And we aren't one of them. 

• Huggy Bear 1

Just now, MaxVerstappen33 said:

When i take all the emotion out of it , i don't think this team is bad at all. Look around at the rest of the league. There is some awfully lean forward groups out there. And we aren't one of them. 

it is decent, but the problem is twofold by my eye: there's a culture issue, and there's a timing issue. The timing problem is too hard to overcome on fixing the d, we just don't have years to wait for prospects to fill the major gaps.

Blow 'er up, JR. 

4 minutes ago, JM_ said:

it is decent, but the problem is twofold by my eye: there's a culture issue, and there's a timing issue. The timing problem is too hard to overcome on fixing the d, we just don't have years to wait for prospects to fill the major gaps.

Blow 'er up, JR. 

New Jersey just rebuilt their entire RD in two off seasons. No reason we can't do the same if we actually do the work. Shame we didn't start to do it this past spring/summer.

Edited by aGENT

Just now, aGENT said:

New Jersey just rebuilt their entire RD in two off seasons. No reason we can't do the same if we actually do the work.

and how likely is that, based on what you've seen so far? 

it also doesn't solve the issue of lack of elite talent. 

Just now, JM_ said:

and how likely is that, based on what you've seen so far? 

it also doesn't solve the issue of lack of elite talent. 

Getting likelier with every game we don't show up for and lose.

So much lack of vision... Sign a UFA, make a trade, pick a solid D in the draft...Maybe Myers is our "Severson" next year that we can either "own-rental" or sell for additional assets at the TDL like they'll be able to.

Sell off other vets of value to gain picks, draft some extra guys. Hopefully a couple turn in to "elite talent". Not actually that hard. But you need to do solid scouting and get some bounces. 

Key is, that we actually have to make those moves/take those gambles. Worry about "blowing it up" in a couple years, if that fails.

17 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Getting likelier with every game we don't show up for and lose.

So much lack of vision... Sign a UFA, make a trade, pick a solid D in the draft...Maybe Myers is our "Severson" next year that we can either "own-rental" or sell for additional assets at the TDL like they'll be able to.

Sell off other vets of value to gain picks, draft some extra guys. Hopefully a couple turn in to "elite talent". Not actually that hard. But you need to do solid scouting and get some bounces. 

Key is, that we actually have to make those moves/take those gambles. Worry about "blowing it up" in a couple years, if that fails.

I mean as usual the ideas you propose are logical, its just I don't see why they'd start now. 

20 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I mean as usual the ideas you propose are logical, its just I don't see why they'd start now. 

The team's performance seems to be forcing their hand. Don't confuse their patience thus far with an inability to act. 

There's not too many teams looking to add RIGHT NOW, even if we do/have decided to sell guys. We're going to have to wait for injuries and teams to suss out their playoff chances before teams decide to add guys. Likely a window before the winter roster freeze and then again up to the TDL. 

None of this is going to happen instantly.

Edited by aGENT

26 minutes ago, aGENT said:

The team's performance seems to be forcing their hand. Don't confuse their patience thus far with an inability to act. 

There's not too many teams looking to add RIGHT NOW, even if we do/have decided to sell guys. We're going to have to wait for injuries and teams to suss out their playoff chances before teams decide to add guys. Likely a window before the winter roster freeze and then again up to the TDL. 

None of this is going to happen instantly.

no the TDL is the obvious place, just due to cap issues. Unless some team comes forward with something they cooked up.