The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Have you given up on this season. Let's take a poll!

Rate this topic

Ghostsof1915

Is the season over? Yes, No, Maybe?  

283 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I keep Schenn. As much as a statement to everyone else. I would have been announcing an extension the day after he was giving JTM crap for his lazy play. 
Rest of the vets past the age of Bo would/should be up for auction. 

I think Schenn would likely make a great coach, if he wants to.

9 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I keep Schenn. As much as a statement to everyone else. I would have been announcing an extension the day after he was giving JTM crap for his lazy play. 
Rest of the vets past the age of Bo would/should be up for auction. 

I'm open to entertaining offers at the TDL if he wants to go compete somewhere. He'd make a solid rental and likely has a fair bit of value. But I'd prioritize extending him if not.

I'd retain Schenn if he'll stay, he's won two cups and has nothing to prove to anyone, he could be a great character guy and leader during a rebuild.

But yeah, I'd move him if he doesn't plan on returning. Gotta get pieces for guys who won't stay at this point.

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

IMO, you're being dramatic. "Irreparably broken"...come on :rolleyes: Is this team good enough? No. Is there roster issues/elements of the roster that aren't working/need to be removed? Abso-f'ing-lutely. Does it need pretty major surgery? Yup.

Does it also have a few, key, good pieces to build around. Yup.

At this rate, we'll be getting "it" regardless of what we do/don't do. Ride it out or strip it down, we're looking to pick high this year (thankfully a good year to do so). If it were up to me, we'd also be selling off near anyone with value, that's 28+ and/or $2m+ that we can, add additional picks and prospects (additional "it!"). Retain/take back short term cap and warm bodies as required. BUILD.

its not "dramatic" if its true. Some teams do get to the point where things are just not going to work. 

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

You'll excuse me if I don't buy your take on this I hope. You were wrong on the Miller signing and you're just not seeing what's completely obvious again. I've explained it many times before but you choose to make up fake things like 23 yr old Petey or 23 year Hughes might not want to stay as a reason for getting rid of them now. It was silly then and it's silly now. They can always be traded later if need be they're not losing any value like JT is every second. Good young players don't need to be thrown away in any situation.

you'll excuse me if I don't buy into your arrogant take on this. You don't know anything more than someone else about what Petey will do or not. I happen to think he won't stick around. You may feel differently, but to call my view "fake" and "silly" is just you being an asshole. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, JM_ said:

its not "dramatic" if its true. Some teams do get to the point where things are just not going to work. 

It is dramatic. Things aren't working. But teams never go COMPLETELY scorched earth, retaining a few key pieces to build around. No team ever trades there entire 23 man roster, including a couple VERY talented 23 year olds. 

They need to figure out who's not pulling their weight, clear some cap/veterans, add youth/pick assets and BUILD.

• Cheers 2

Just now, aGENT said:

It is dramatic. Things aren't working. But teams never go COMPLETELY scorched earth, retaining a few key pieces to build around. No team ever trades there entire 23 man roster, including a couple VERY talented 23 year olds. 

They need to figure out who's not pulling their weight, clear some cap/veterans, add youth/pick assets and BUILD.

AZ has except for one player. 

1 minute ago, JM_ said:

you'll excuse me if I don't buy into your arrogant take on this. You don't know anything more than someone else about what Petey will do or not. I happen to think he won't stick around. You may feel differently, but to call my view "fake" and "silly" is just you being an asshole. 

Nobody knows what Petey will do in two years. But that's a "tomorrow problem". And again, the best way to convince him to stay is to formulate a plan to actually compete and build a competitive team around hime, action that plan and then pray like hell it mostly works out and shows him he has a positive future here beyond the next 2 years.

They best get at it.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Nobody knows what Petey will do in two years. But that's a "tomorrow problem". And again, the best way to convince him to stay is to formulate a plan to actually compete and build a competitive team around hime, action that plan and then pray like hell it mostly works out and shows him he has a positive future here beyond the next 2 years.

They best get at it.

I just don't believe the plans you've laid out over the last few months are actually achievable. Sure they are logical, but the reality on the ground seems to be much different for Rutherford to achieve. Sometimes the right move is to accept that things just can't be fixed in a short time frame and its better to go scorched earth, or something close to it.

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yes, we should for sure do that.  But will our owner allow it?  Nope. 

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We're following AZ's example now are we? :rolleyes:

They also have more than one player left (Chychrun, Keller, Fischer...just at a glance)

name one player on AZ that could be considered an elite player. The only one that might come close is Chychrun. 

Are you saying there's another way to get elite talent, other than tanking for a couple of years?

Haven’t given up even if it looks like it. Just irritated by the Horvat situation. 

I will always cheer for wins. I have no control over anything that happens with this team. 

One thing I do know is we won’t be in the Bedard running. We will win our fair share of games eventually. 

Really needed to do a NYR style rebuild but seems like we blew it. Maybe there is something else going on behind the scenes. Time will tell. Lots of good young pieces here that we should NOT be giving up on. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

Just stop the season after season of pain.

I dont care how its done, if you have to rebuild then do it, I can suffer a couple extra years if that means we are solid for a decade and a half.

I just can't keep doing this mediocrity anymore. I live and breathe the Canucks, but man this is the first time that I recall before even 10 games are played, and I've already checked out. After the 1st period down 2-0, I decided to watch a movie with the family instead.

Im a fan of this team and always will be, but this endless cycle of pain and succumbing to mediocrity is not something I will continue to subject myself to.

• Huggy Bear 2

Mediocrity is not a long shot by any means. We definitely have a team that can reach that. But with the right trade , we could probably a 4-5 game push into the playoffs, just enough to drop our draft position to 13 or 14. I have seen this scenario played out countless times, so I know we can do it.  All sarcasm aside , “ What’s the plan Jim ? “

• There it is 1

15 minutes ago, JM_ said:

name one player on AZ that could be considered an elite player. The only one that might come close is Chychrun. 

Are you saying there's another way to get elite talent, other than tanking for a couple of years?

I would agree with you insofar as elite talent MUST come through the draft. However, you still have to win the lottery. Which Vancouver hasn't been able to do in the entire history of the franchise. Now if we could trade our way in to the top three of the draft, I could get behind that.

Edited by BtueyCanuckFan

5 minutes ago, igorwasgreat said:

Mediocrity is not a long shot by any means. We definitely have a team that can reach that. But with the right trade , we could probably a 4-5 game push into the playoffs, just enough to drop our draft position to 13 or 14. I have seen this scenario played out countless times, so I know we can do it.  All sarcasm aside , “ What’s the plan Jim ? “

That’s some “professor-like” thinking. 

• Cheers 1

Anyone who hasn’t given up yet is not good at math.

You have to think about how long it would take to steer the ship in the other direction and the overall pace and consistency it would take to get a wildcard spot. It’s just not happening.

Regardless of how weak the pacific is.

This D core is so weak. We really do need to blow it up and finally commit to a rebuild. I’m so sick of being mediocre.

Look at the Devils and Sabers now compared to us. Look at the picks they’ve made.

• Cheers 2