The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Have you given up on this season. Let's take a poll!

Rate this topic

Ghostsof1915

Is the season over? Yes, No, Maybe?  

283 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

20 minutes ago, JM_ said:

yeah it would have to be a very convincing case. But... I'd happily give a 1st and 3rd for a guy that could become that partner for Hughes we have been desperate for.

I think it'd need to be somebody more established for me to consider ever giving up a 1st, I understand the appeal of trying to find underutilized gems on other rosters but I'm really leery about 1st round picks. It'd depend on where we're at in the standings, and what year the 1st is for. We're not out of the woods yet, I'd hate to give up what could be a top 5 pick. 

I don't think you can put conditions on the 1sts you give up in an offer sheet, what would be would simply be and I don't think I can handle that on the basis of just potential. 

Edited by Coconuts

30 minutes ago, JM_ said:

yeah it would have to be a very convincing case. But... I'd happily give a 1st and 3rd for a guy that could become that partner for Hughes we have been desperate for.

I like Foote as a #4-6, depth D... But as Hughes long term partner... Man we need to aim higher.

43 minutes ago, JM_ said:

cap friendly is saying 3.1 mil in cap space for next year 

I went to the store and As i was driving i realized I made a mistake I think i was discounting seabrook and cirelli because they were both on LTIR

It's actually 10+4? million of space. you don't count seabrooks cap which capfriendly does.

I also forgot Colton Ross is someone who they would likely want to re-sign

Killorn, Namestnikov, I.Cole, Cal Foote, Colton Ross and 3 replacement level players for 10+4?M$

I'd say they would want to keep Ross 3.5x3 and Foote 2x2, let Namestnikov and I.Cole walk and re-sign killorn at 3.5x2 that leaves 1+4? million for 5 players.

they likely will see if they can trade someone, My bet is on Stamkos. which would leave 9.5+4? million for 6 players. 13.5 million is a lot of dough when you consider the tampa tax advantage.

Tampa is gonna lose big ground next year.

Edited by Petey_BOI
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Petey_BOI said:

not sure what you are asking.

if you wan't to look at a trend just look at the past ten games on nhl.com. Looking past ten games is maybe fruitless to many variables in sports especially hockey.

I wouldnt be worried about calculating anything. wait till the canucks get to .500 hockey first, then wait till they get within a couple points of the wildcard. if you want stats then I will provide some for you.  I think it's way to early for stats, game 60 is the only time i usually start calcing odds and scenario's.

PS there is websites that do these types of calculations.

How many games do they have to play before their record is statistically meaningful?

Even if the Canucks go on a winning streak it would be harmful to just miss out or squeak in the playoffs. For the long term it is best to tank for a top pick and trade some guys to collect more prospects/picks. I think the season is pretty much done, very disappointing as a collective whole. The team composition just doesn't fit.

38 minutes ago, DSVII said:

My vote remains a no. There's a lot to be achieved this year.

Sell at the deadline, get some picks, and build around Demko/Petey/Hughes. Everyone else can find success elsewhere.

That sounds exactly like my version of giving up.

You probably want a high draft pick too. You monster!

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, DSVII said:

My vote remains a no. There's a lot to be achieved this year.

Sell at the deadline, get some picks, and build around Demko/Petey/Hughes. Everyone else can find success elsewhere.

Be nice if we can potentially retain Bo too IMO but management has to start actually showing these guys progress to an actual plan... And not just tinkering around the edges and extending the mediocre team already in place.

#rip the band-aid off

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Be nice if we can potentially retain Bo too IMO but management has to start actually showing these guys progress to an actual plan... And not just tinkering around the edges and extending the mediocre team already in place.

#rip the band-aid off

The pace Bo's going though he could end up as the top TD target if we decided to move him.  8Gs in 10 games.  PPG pace 58%+ on draws. Might be one of the hottest TD piece in the last few years if he can keep it up.

I'd only do so really if we got an offer we couldn't refuse and/or decided to go full rebuild.

7 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

The pace Bo's going though he could end up as the top TD target if we decided to move him.  8Gs in 10 games.  PPG pace 58%+ on draws. Might be one of the hottest TD piece in the last few years if he can keep it up.

I'd only do so really if we got an offer we couldn't refuse and/or decided to go full rebuild.

Problem being, if we move Bo, we're likely F'd. There's probably no retooling around Petey/Hughes/Demko in that scenario.

We're likely full rebuild at that point.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If we are out by the TDL, it's a no brainer to trade Bo and hopefully Miller as well to get as many assets back as possible.

This core has had a lot of chances. The effort level and consistency just isn't where it needs to be to win in this league on a nightly basis.

We can't be going for it again with the same group. That'd be plain stupid.

It would be nice to give Bo a chance to win elsewhere too. 

57 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

What if we win the next 4 very winable games and get back to .500?

The devil is in the details here. The fact that these games are only "winnable" because our opponents are bottom feeders means one thing: if we can't do any better than .500, what's going to happen when we clash with even slightly superior teams?