The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Have you given up on this season. Let's take a poll!

Rate this topic

Ghostsof1915

Is the season over? Yes, No, Maybe?  

283 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, JM_ said:

I mean as usual the ideas you propose are logical, its just I don't see why they'd start now. 

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

The team's performance seems to be forcing their hand.

Further to that, from a CA article:

Last season’s poor start, which resulted in the dissolving of its front office and half of its coaching staff, saw the team allow thirteen fewer goals than this season’s Vancouver Canucks have through ten games.

Thirteen!

This team may end up in a worse state after 25 games than they were through 25 games last season at their current rate.

We have a run now of 5 poor or out of form teams, including the Preds which will be an important game. 

If we can win 4 of those It could do wonders for team confidence and we could still return to form and sneak into a play off spot, especially with all the wild card teams in the west playing like ass too.  

I really don't see us going on another fairy tale run this year tho, so if we go like 2:2:1 or something i think were cooked and may as well tank for missing out on Bedard and getting a lazy, injury prone, fatty bustaroo at 4-6 again. 

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

you're not exactly convincing me to move off my blow it up position with that info :lol:

To be fair, a lot of those 13 goals probably have a lot to do with Demko not playing at a Vezina level while the team looks approximately just as awful in front of him as last year :lol:

4 hours ago, lmm said:

I can program my PVR to end an hour after the scheduled time

but it is a new season and those need to be reset

every year this time, there is a game of two the stop with 3 minutes to play

its always a tie or one goal game, never a 7-1 blow out

4 hours ago, Fanuck said:

My problem is PO and OT when the broadcast goes an undetermined amount of time after the regularly scheduled broadcast window - I can't program my PVR to stop recording a program that has no definite end time? 

Don’t know who your provider is, but with Shaw you can schedule a program to end up to an hour and a half after scheduled game end time. The only way I miss part of the game is if the baseball game goes 12ish innings or more. Same with hockey playoffs in triple ot or further. It does happen on occasion, but it’s very rare. I use that feature for every sports game I record, very useful. If you sign a 2 year contract you get a PVR to use for free.

• Thanks 1

On 11/1/2022 at 12:05 PM, Kootenay Gold said:

Anyone who has already given up on this team is not a true fan. Way to early to call the season a write off. I recall a St. Louis team a few years back that were, for all intents and purposes, out of the playoff picture and stormed back after the new year with a 24-6-4 record and went on to win the cup.

Lol. If you want to hang on to threads of hope for the next 50 years go right ahead. Statistically speaking 1 in 50 years a team miiiggght do that. Key word “might”

I remember back in 2013 calling on the team to tank for top prospects.

hmmmm look at all the amazing players we’ve missed out on. And now we have a team loaded with bubble players and 3/4 hard ons because of greedy owners who want butts in the seats for 10 years of barely missing the playoffs.

1 hour ago, ABNucksfan said:

Lol. If you want to hang on to threads of hope for the next 50 years go right ahead. Statistically speaking 1 in 50 years a team miiiggght do that. Key word “might”

As I wrote elsewhere...

A far better built, far more under achieving team, with a far better track record that hadn't already used up their coaching AND management change.

I think it's hilarious that there's even a few of y'all trying to equate the two situations. 

1 hour ago, ABNucksfan said:

I remember back in 2013 calling on the team to tank for top prospects.

hmmmm look at all the amazing players we’ve missed out on. And now we have a team loaded with bubble players and 3/4 hard ons because of greedy owners who want butts in the seats for 10 years of barely missing the playoffs.

Perhaps you should have been around for the Canucks 1st 10 years in the league. They were not very good but the fans still came out and cheered for their team. That is true fans, didn't matter how good or bad the result the fans still came out to support them.

1 minute ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Perhaps you should have been around for the Canucks 1st 10 years in the league. They were not very good but the fans still came out and cheered for their team. That is true fans, didn't matter how good or bad the result the fans still came out to support them.

Oh good, more gate keeping...

He's here isn't he? Engaging in the forum, following the team?

Being pragmatic about how this team is presently constructed and performing does not make someone less of a "true" fan.

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Oh good, more gate keeping...

He's here isn't he? Engaging in the forum, following the team?

Being pragmatic about how this team is presently constructed and performing does not make someone less of a "true" fan.

@aGENT. I cheer for the team and have done so since its inception. That does not mean that I like the way the team is constructed. I had hoped that JR would have been able to somehow obtain a quality RD in the off season and still be cap compliant but it did not happen. Lots of things to both like and dislike about this team over the years and some years they were very good and some god awful but I still cheered for them.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

@aGENT. I cheer for the team and have done so since its inception. That does not mean that I like the way the team is constructed. I had hoped that JR would have been able to somehow obtain a quality RD in the off season and still be cap compliant but it did not happen. Lots of things to both like and dislike about this team over the years and some years they were very good and some god awful but I still cheered for them.

I cheer for them too, enjoying all the goal scoring and Kuz's first hatty tonight.

But to compare this roster to the far better St Louis one that won the Cup, and hadn't already burned playing their fire the coach AND management card, is just silly.

That's not us.

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I cheer for them too, enjoying all the goal scoring and Kuz's first hatty tonight.

But to compare this roster to the far better St Louis one that won the Cup, and hadn't already burned playing their fire the coach AND management card, is just silly.

That's not us.

I was probably not a great example as that team had all the pieces in place but had a horrendous start.

Personally, I think this team is better than what they have shown so far but their weakness is on the D and that still needs to be fixed IMO. Hoping that Demko can find his groove as well.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

I was probably not a great example as that team had all the pieces in place but had a horrendous start.

Personally, I think this team is better than what they have shown so far but their weakness is on the D and that still needs to be fixed IMO. Hoping that Demko can find his groove as well.

This team needs  two top 4 RHD, a legit 3C, and far more organizational depth (and cap space and assets to acquire these pieces) before they're anything resembling a legit, contending playoff team. They also need to play like they actually give a damn about structure/defense.

Should they be better then their record? Probably. But they're not playing like it, and even if they were, they're a bubble team, not a contender.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I miss the old VCR approach of, "I want you to record the signal from this channel starting at this time and ending at this time", instead of the current PVR approach of, "I want you to record this program from this channel, and maybe some arbitrary amount of time afterwards" only to have the channel accidentally delist the program or change the program name so that the recording never happens.  :ph34r:

I don’t miss that blurry mess on VCR at all. If the consequences of having a clear picture is missing parts of a few games in a season it’s well worth the trade off imo.

7 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Sure, but I'm not talking about display resolution.  I'm referring to timesetting approaches, particularly given how I've missed whole games and episodes because Shaw (in my case) changed the title of the program after I set the recording and so it didn't record the program (because the "name" no longer matched).  

Hmmm that’s strange. I’ve never had that problem and I’ve recorded probably over 1000 games over the years I’ve had a PVR for with Shaw. Though maybe that’s because I don’t select “record series” for sports games, I search through the games and select record for each one I’m interested in like the NHL with Vancouver Canucks playing. Do that maybe once a week, haven’t had a missed game ever, only missed parts when the match goes wayyy past scheduled end time.

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

This team needs  two top 4 RHD, a legit 3C, and far more organizational depth (and cap space and assets to acquire these pieces) before they're anything resembling a legit, contending playoff team. They also need to play like they actually give a damn about structure/defense.

Should they be better then their record? Probably. But they're not playing like it, and even if they were, they're a bubble team, not a contender.

2-6th is where everyone had the team going into the season (experts), 2 being an outlier, same with 6...  so 3-5.   That's a playoff team, or a bubble team at worst.  Last year we actually were a decent team 5 x 5 ... even with Green.   Lost a lot of one goal games because of special teams one way or the other at the start of the year .... that changed... or did it?!  Our PK is awful again ... Lazar / Motte..need those guys but our D just isn't very good at it regardless. 

To be fair, this team hasn't played many full sixty minutes, Demko is rusty too.  

Ive never seen a team up 2-3 goals at any time of the year, four games in a row, and blow it.    It would be so Canucks, to miss on a tie breaker, with 96 points and look back at that start and feel like a total dumbass.   It's just the way it works lol.

Anyways, the team can't seem to play a full sixty minutes.   Injuries etc shouldn't be an excuse unless it's something like what happened to Vegas last year.   This team is firmly in its best cap window now ... guys are entering free agency, which is totally fine as long as the cap is reasonable, and we have guys on their second deals going into year two (EP, QHs, Demko) .... we should be a playoff team at this point.    Doesn't mean we are though either.    

Personally was hoping we'd add a top four D before the season started, they couldn't manage that,  which is kind of understandable you have to have a free agent that wants to sign here, or a GM who's willing to make a trade.   We completely sh!t the bed with Marino, so far anyways,  maybe he falls off the face of the earth and PIT dodged a bullet.   Probably not though, you'd think PIT would rather trade him out of conference, and that we could provide a better package.   Instead we focused on getting out of bonus overages, being cap complaint, and traded Dickie...which was a win ... 

Allviin appears to be level headed.  Hope he has a plan - and is working the phones now and not waiting.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, aGENT said:

That's not us.

People trot out that St. Louis example a lot.  They don’t remember the specifics of it though.

They had spent six years averaging over 100 points a season before that and were consistently a top team.  They didn’t have a real starting goaltender for the first big chunk of their Stanley Cup season until Binnington came in and gave them decent goaltending.  They were bleeding more than 3 goals a game with subpar netminding from an Allen/Chad Johnson combo who couldn’t give them a combined save % over .900.

That is a case where one problem gave them an issue for part of a single season.  The down stretch was the statistical blip, not the turnaround of good play.

With Vezina calibre goaltending last year we weren’t even a playoff team.  We don’t have years of proven success with this roster to make us think this is a little downturn or bad games.

It just isn’t the same thing.

The other favourite example is the Kings winning after squeaking into the playoffs.  They neglect to mention that they were the first and only team to ever win the Cup coming in as the 8th seeded team.  Almost no 8th place teams make it past the first round historically.

Edited by Provost
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

I’ve given up on the season based on the fact it’s well known our defence is trash. I don’t care what you think about how they played last year it was mostly Demko tbh. Now Demko is no longer bailing them out he’s getting lit up like a Xmas tree. Record, defensive stats, goals against shows we are one of the worse defensive team in the league. The front office didn’t bother addressing it so don’t expect this team to make the playoff unless Demko all of a sudden becomes the bubble Demko every single game the rest of the season. We have given up 3+ goals every game except the 1.. pretty embarrassing and our pk is even worse than last year at this point iirc.. even more embarrassing. Just because I’ve given up on this season doesn’t mean I’m not a fan. It’s just mean we are realistic and ain’t blind homer that accepts everything the management feeds us

14 hours ago, aGENT said:

To be fair, a lot of those 13 goals probably have a lot to do with Demko not playing at a Vezina level while the team looks approximately just as awful in front of him as last year :lol:

yeah he's really got the yips, the body language isn't good. I feel bad for him.

I really like all these guys as players but the job to fix the defence and PK is just not going to time out properly imo. This team needed to show it was better than last year, which it is on paper, but on the ice there's a real lack of defensive ability. 

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

I’ve given up on the season based on the fact it’s well known our defence is trash. I don’t care what you think about how they played last year it was mostly Demko tbh. Now Demko is no longer bailing them out he’s getting lit up like a Xmas tree. Record, defensive stats, goals against shows we are one of the worse defensive team in the league. The front office didn’t bother addressing it so don’t expect this team to make the playoff unless Demko all of a sudden becomes the bubble Demko every single game the rest of the season. We have given up 3+ goals every game except the 1.. pretty embarrassing and our pk is even worse than last year at this point iirc.. even more embarrassing. Just because I’ve given up on this season doesn’t mean I’m not a fan. It’s just mean we are realistic and ain’t blind homer that accepts everything the management feeds us

Run and gun coach probably doesn't help