The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Have you given up on this season. Let's take a poll!

Rate this topic

Ghostsof1915

Is the season over? Yes, No, Maybe?  

283 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

22 hours ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Perhaps you should have been around for the Canucks 1st 10 years in the league. They were not very good but the fans still came out and cheered for their team. That is true fans, didn't matter how good or bad the result the fans still came out to support them.

Perhaps, I’ve been a fan for 40 years, but wasn’t alive during the early expansion years, (sorry about that) having said that it’s the same old argument every year; “people who don’t support the team when they are not good are not true fans” which couldn’t be further than the truth. A fan is a fan regardless. There are fair weather fans, there are bandwagon jumpers, there are die hard fans who go to every game, there are fans who wear their Canuck gear out in public even when the team isn’t playing… etc etc. 

It doesn’t matter what type of fan someone is.

I do get irritated when numb nuts’ get upset at the fans who are are upset after 52 years of sporadic winning and a ton of mediocrity sandwiched in between.

It’s almost as if some of these so call “super fantastic fans” think they are… gasp… superior than others.

The team makes money off of fans, if there were no fans the team wouldn’t exist. Doesn’t matter what type of fan you are if you like 1 player on the team or like the team but not many players. Everyone is different.  Im thankful quite a few Canuck fans are willing to boo when they are not happy.  Because we would still have Coach Sarcasm and the Brady bunch running the show. At least we now have some direction and management willing to blow things up. 

• Cheers 2

46 minutes ago, ABNucksfan said:

Perhaps, I’ve been a fan for 40 years, but wasn’t alive during the early expansion years, (sorry about that) having said that it’s the same old argument every year; “people who don’t support the team when they are not good are not true fans” which couldn’t be further than the truth. A fan is a fan regardless. There are fair weather fans, there are bandwagon jumpers, there are die hard fans who go to every game, there are fans who wear their Canuck gear out in public even when the team isn’t playing… etc etc. 

It doesn’t matter what type of fan someone is.

I do get irritated when numb nuts’ get upset at the fans who are are upset after 52 years of sporadic winning and a ton of mediocrity sandwiched in between.

It’s almost as if some of these so call “super fantastic fans” think they are… gasp… superior than others.

The team makes money off of fans, if there were no fans the team wouldn’t exist. Doesn’t matter what type of fan you are if you like 1 player on the team or like the team but not many players. Everyone is different.  Im thankful quite a few Canuck fans are willing to boo when they are not happy.  Because we would still have Coach Sarcasm and the Brady bunch running the show. At least we now have some direction and management willing to blow things up. 

Personally, I don't give a damn if you get irritated or not. That is your problem ; not mine.

12 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Run and gun coach probably doesn't help 

ya i don't buy into that bruce in his latter years with washington anaheim and early with minnesota are yearly fixture in top 10 for goals against.. so i don't think his style is the reason why our team sucks defensively

4 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Speaking of giving up. Imagine how good it must feel being a Ducks fan. Just knowing you are in the Bedard sweepstakes. Without a doubt, you are a lock for one of the top 3 players.

And we are in the same indecisive position as always

bzFfNTAwLmdpZg.gif

They also have Drysdale, Mintyukov, Zellweger, MacTavish, Zegras. $16 Million in cap space. They Fowler for 4 more seasons at $6.5 million.

And there's not one forward over $6 million dollars. Oh and they have 6 draft picks in the first 3 rounds in 2023.

Verbeek has things very much under control.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

They also have Drysdale, Mintyukov, Zellweger, MacTavish, Zegras. $16 Million in cap space. They Fowler for 4 more seasons at $6.5 million.

And there's not one forward over $6 million dollars. Oh and they have 6 draft picks in the first 3 rounds in 2023.

Verbeek has things very much under control.

Colorado took 21 years to beat us to a another cup. If we apply that number to the Ducks, they will beat us to their 2nd cup in 2028. 

3 hours ago, Shayster007 said:

They went on a completely unsustainable run and still missed the playoffs quite comfortably. They need to win something like 7 of the next 10 just to get to .500. it's not over, but it looks rough.

So what's the problem?

:towel:

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Why does our team history matter if the type of prospect we should look to acquire should be a good one and not a project?

If you want to bring up history we have a recent history of trying to acquire other teams underperforming, waiver eligible and/or lesser prospects only for them to not pan out or the moves becoming significant blunders.

Some of the blunders in those trades came at the cost of high picks, one of them turning into Rasmus Anderson and prospects, one of which is Gustav Forsling. 

The only one who really panned in the last 10 years was Markstrom and we had to trade a good goalie who wanted out to do that. It wasn’t really a trade where we directly sought out that type of player in comparison to the others.

If you want a promising young player or prospect via trade there’s a price to pay.

history more in terms of expecting a series of complex trades to happen to improve the team. Sure, its theoretically possible, but how likely?

We needed to make some moves this year, and take another step. Instead we've made bottom pairing lateral moves, and still have a logjam in the F group with no signs of improvement, you can argue we've taken a step back.

Its just my 2 cents, but a blow up is a much easier, clearer path to a contender than the mess we have now. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JM_ said:

history more in terms of expecting a series of complex trades to happen to improve the team. Sure, its theoretically possible, but how likely?

We needed to make some moves this year, and take another step. Instead we've made bottom pairing lateral moves, and still have a logjam in the F group with no signs of improvement, you can argue we've taken a step back.

Its just my 2 cents, but a blow up is a much easier, clearer path to a contender than the mess we have now. 

I don’t think anything I’ve said has made the implications of a quick turnaround. I was just responding to your point of acquiring Cal Foote which to me is a move your making if you have the mindset of a quick turnaround or retool on the fly. 

Are we both misunderstood about our positioning here?

I am of the mindset of if this team can’t turn it around as it is blow it up. I pointed out acquiring good prospects(and picks for that matter) instead of projects should be the aim. The only way you get good prospects(or picks) is moving good pieces. The best way to do that is to rebuild. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

15 hours ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Speaking of giving up. Imagine how good it must feel being a Ducks fan. Just knowing you are in the Bedard sweepstakes. Without a doubt, you are a lock for one of the top 3 players.

And we are in the same indecisive position as always

bzFfNTAwLmdpZg.gif

Ducks will be a force sooner than later if they draft top 3

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

49 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I don’t think anything I’ve said has made the implications of a quick turnaround. I was just responding to your point of acquiring Cal Foote which to me is a move your making if you have the mindset of a quick turnaround or retool on the fly. 

Are we both misunderstood about our positioning here?

I am of the mindset of if this team can’t turn it around as it is blow it up. I pointed out acquiring good prospects(and picks for that matter) instead of projects should be the aim. The only way you get good prospects(or picks) is moving good pieces. The best way to do that is to rebuild. 

I just think Foote might be the kind of risk to take, given how good he was heading into the draft. Some of these guys do emerge later as top pair players, and he is only 23 which not so long ago used to be young for a d man. 

2 minutes ago, JM_ said:

I just think Foote might be the kind of risk to take, given how good he was heading into the draft. Some of these guys do emerge later as top pair players, and he is only 23 which not so long ago used to be young for a d man. 

He’s gonna be 24 in a month. 

Seems like more of a project to me. More throwing gum to a wall hoping it sticks than anything else.

We’ve kind have been trying that with Stillman, Bear and Dermott already too. 

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Seems like more of a project to me. More throwing gum to a wall hoping it sticks than anything else.

big, responsible RHD, great offensive #'s in the minors... not sure he's in with that group. 

I guess we'll find out what Tampa thinks of him soon enough. 

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Not a bad thing for a rebuilding team to do as long as not throwing perfectly good draft pics at these projects. Never know you may find a diamond in the rough and you need someone to absorb the losses. 

57 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Ducks will be a force sooner than later if they draft top 3

Yep. Maybe they will fail the first time & bottom out again. But that just makes it even more inevitable as they dip into another draft. Just like Colorado

We should have had a fail with OJ and Jake. But we stacked the team with free agents so we never failed as hard as we should 

2028, Ducks Stanley cup champions.

Edited by MaxVerstappen33
  • Like 1

Just now, JM_ said:

big, responsible RHD, great offensive #'s in the minors... not sure he's in with that group. 

I guess we'll find out what Tampa thinks of him soon enough. 

The problem is, you can spew of as many good attributes as you'd like about what they are in the minors. You could say positive things about Pouliot or Goldobin, because they do have good attributes. They just never figured it out in the NHL There's also obviously ones who did translate well. Look at Kuzmenko so far.

So then, in Foote's case, age does start to become a concern, since he hasn't translated to the NHL yet. He still might of course, but again, that's a potential problem if all we can do is say he "might".

2 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Not a bad thing for a rebuilding team to do as long as not throwing perfectly good draft pics at these projects. Never know you may find a diamond in the rough and you need someone to absorb the losses. 

Your best bet is to take advantage of the waiver wire with projects as a rebuilding team. 

6 minutes ago, The Lock said:

The problem is, you can spew of as many good attributes as you'd like about what they are in the minors. You could say positive things about Pouliot or Goldobin, because they do have good attributes. They just never figured it out in the NHL There's also obviously ones who did translate well. Look at Kuzmenko so far.

So then, in Foote's case, age does start to become a concern, since he hasn't translated to the NHL yet. He still might of course, but again, that's a potential problem if all we can do is say he "might".

yup, but we're in a position to be able to take risks, we've got nothing to lose really.