The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Have you given up on this season. Let's take a poll!

Rate this topic

Ghostsof1915

Is the season over? Yes, No, Maybe?  

283 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, JM_ said:

yup, but we're in a position to be able to take risks, we've got nothing to lose really. 

Potential draft picks, prospects, young players, draft position, fan unrest, player morale, prolonged mediocrity etc etc. 

Would hate to lose out on another Forsling or miss out on a Andersson or give another McCann away. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Potential draft picks, prospects, young players, draft position, fan unrest, player morale, prolonged mediocrity etc etc. 

well when you put it that way :lol:

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Would hate to lose out on another Forsling or miss out on a Andersson or give another McCann away. 

sure, it all depends on the cost, both immediate and opportunity . 

12 minutes ago, JM_ said:

well when you put it that way :lol:

sure, it all depends on the cost, both immediate and opportunity . 

I don’t mean to be bleak. I just don’t see the plan/vision with the organization as it stands. The only concrete plan is either compete if you can or rebuild. Getting stuck in the middle is purgatory IMO, the longer you spend there the worse it is. 

Hence why I am of the mindset of rebuild if this core can’t do it. This is the best roster since the bubble. We’ve spent enough time in the middle. 

If Foote came cheap sure but I don’t think he will. They don’t need to trade him. Cole ends this year with Foote being an RFA that probably won’t cost as much. They can save cap while Foote steps into an expanded role next year with Cole gone where he will probably show what he is capable of(whatever that may be). 

I reckon if we asked they’d probably want Podkolzin who in comparison with Foote who has similar draft pedigree and similarly has yet to take another step but plays a much more valued position despite being a little older. 

5 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I don’t mean to be bleak. I just don’t see the plan/vision with the organization as it stands. The only concrete plan is either compete if you can or rebuild. Getting stuck in the middle is purgatory IMO, the longer you spend there the worse it is. 

Hence why I am of the mindset of rebuild if this core can’t do it. This is the best roster since the bubble. We’ve spent enough time in the middle. 

If Foote came cheap sure but I don’t think he will. They don’t need to trade him. Cole ends this year with Foote being an RFA that probably won’t cost as much. They can save cap while Foote steps into an expanded role next year with Cole gone where he will probably show what he is capable of(whatever that may be). 

I reckon if we asked they’d probably want Podkolzin who in comparison with Foote who has similar draft pedigree and similarly has yet to take another step but plays a much more valued position despite being a little older. 

we're actually on the same page with the team. 

I was thinking try an offer sheet under 4.2 mil where the compensation is just a 2nd, I do think that would be a good risk. But actually come to think of it we can't, we'd need our own 2nd for next draft after this one and we traded that for moving Dickie so its all academic anyway.

58 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Yep. Maybe they will fail the first time & bottom out again. But that just makes it even more inevitable as they dip into another draft. Just like Colorado

We should have had a fail with OJ and Jake. But we stacked the team with free agents so we never failed as hard as we should 

2028, Ducks Stanley cup champions.

I dunno about cup champs but they've got an enviable crop of top end youth on their roster and in their system, if they can insulate them well and those players develop the way they're capable of they could overtake us sooner than later if management doesn't figure things out. 

They look bad now, but so did LA for a while and they're just starting to see the fruits of their labour impact their big club. 

8 minutes ago, JM_ said:

we're actually on the same page with the team. 

I was thinking try an offer sheet under 4.2 mil where the compensation is just a 2nd, I do think that would be a good risk. But actually come to think of it we can't, we'd need our own 2nd for next draft after this one and we traded that for moving Dickie so its all academic anyway.

If viable I wouldn’t do that personally but it would be better than giving up a Pod. 

If we did decide to rebuild do you think we should completely tear down or try to keep certain few? 

Keeping Hog/Pod IMO is a given either way. Personally. I think with Petey/Hughes I would try to keep them but they could want out. You’d really have to sell the idea/vision which is easier said than done. 

Also the value/return Hughes/Petey have in a trade would be near insurmountable but they have that same value on the team.

However I welcome them to prove my feelings of these current Canucks wrong this year and the following years but the past years and start of this one have waned on my faith with these players and with the direction of the team. 

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

Also, to answer the OP's question, early November is too early to judge anything in my opinion. It's like expecting an airplane to crash when you've only just taken off.

Yep.  Give them twenty games and we'll have an idea of what this team is about.

For no particular reason, I expect the team to get  12 - 14 points in their games 11-20.   

Here's how I see things playing out.

Kuzmenko is a 50+ point 20 goal player at the TDL.  Horvat is having the season of his life approaching 30 goals and 30 assists towards the TDL.  Bo comes in asking for $8 million + and Kuzmenko is asking for a short term 2 years $6.5 million deal.

Management is dangling a 45 point Boeser and Pearson hoping anyone will take them but nobody does.

Knowing we have just gone on a decent run and are only 6 points out of a playoff position management goes for it.  Trades this years 2nd and next years 1st for help now banking on LTIR cap space for a 25 year old ish player with a year or two left.  We fail to make the playoffs and Kuzmenko and Horvat are on the cusp of leaving unless their contract demands are met.

This is totally illogical.  I know.  except this has happened a few times in the last few years to this club and this is literally Jimmy Rutherford's MO as he's done exactly this numerous times in his career as GM.

How do you all feel about the likelihood of this happening?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, JM_ said:

yup, but we're in a position to be able to take risks, we've got nothing to lose really. 

I'm going to disagree on the "nothing to lose" idea. There's always something to lose, whether we trade away something to get that project or use up a contract slot. Having a project also means another player doesn't get that ice time.

Having a "nothing to lose" mentality with a player, any player, to me, is just a recipe for mismanagement because then we're at risk of not managing out assets properly since we apparently don't care about the consequences of our actions since why should we care if we have nothing to lose? Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying we shouldn't be looking at the "Footes in the league". I'm saying we need to look at them, but also be comparing options. "Nothing to lose" doesn't sound like that at all.

Edited by The Lock

2 hours ago, The Lock said:

I'm going to disagree on the "nothing to lose" idea. There's always something to lose, whether we trade away something to get that project or use up a contract slot. Having a project also means another player doesn't get that ice time.

Having a "nothing to lose" mentality with a player, any player, to me, is just a recipe for mismanagement because then we're at risk of not managing out assets properly since we apparently don't care about the consequences of our actions since why should we care if we have nothing to lose? Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying we shouldn't be looking at the "Footes in the league". I'm saying we need to look at them, but also be comparing options. "Nothing to lose" doesn't sound like that at all.

sure I can see that, but picks and prospects all carry some risk, and you really never know which one pans out. So thats what I was getting at. 

55 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

How we can have 5, maybe 6 guys offensively hovering around the point per game mark and still suck this bad is insane. We're so good offensively, not many bottom teams can drop 8 goals in a night, but then defensively We're such a mess.

Points are up all over the league. That and were talking about the Vancouver Canucks here. 

On 11/5/2022 at 12:46 PM, Warhippy said:

Here's how I see things playing out.

Kuzmenko is a 50+ point 20 goal player at the TDL.  Horvat is having the season of his life approaching 30 goals and 30 assists towards the TDL.  Bo comes in asking for $8 million + and Kuzmenko is asking for a short term 2 years $6.5 million deal.

Management is dangling a 45 point Boeser and Pearson hoping anyone will take them but nobody does.

Knowing we have just gone on a decent run and are only 6 points out of a playoff position management goes for it.  Trades this years 2nd and next years 1st for help now banking on LTIR cap space for a 25 year old ish player with a year or two left.  We fail to make the playoffs and Kuzmenko and Horvat are on the cusp of leaving unless their contract demands are met.

This is totally illogical.  I know.  except this has happened a few times in the last few years to this club and this is literally Jimmy Rutherford's MO as he's done exactly this numerous times in his career as GM.

How do you all feel about the likelihood of this happening?  

sadly that is what I expect

• Like 1