The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New Jersey Devils at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 01, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Hard to stop a goal when we blow coverage relentlessly and all the opposition has to do is tap it in because we can't stop a cross crease pass. All 4 goals last night were unstoppable.

Actually, guys start trying to do too much, and get out of position, when their goalie is playing poorly.  We all know Demko is much better than he’s currently showing.  

• There it is 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

So umm.....how does that change how comparable our seasons have been in the last decade?

It's the fault of Mike Gillis.:lol:  (like how Albertans still look around for the 'bad guy' when you say the words "National Energy Program" or "Trudeau" three times)

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Actually, guys start trying to do too much, and get out of position, when their goalie is playing poorly.  We all know Demko is much better than he’s currently showing.  

maybe he needs to sit for a few games? a lot of goalies go through rough patches, he needs to go off with Clarke on some kind of goalie retreat and get back to what made him an excellent goalie. 

14 minutes ago, Pears said:

I’m almost wondering if Demko has some kind of injury we don’t know about, because he hasn’t been himself at all so far. 

Could be just an "off season" for him.  Given how he's played for us in his career, I think of all people on the roster - he's the one that earned the right to have a 'mulligan'.  It's just unfortunate it happens to be this season.

• Like 1

Just now, HKSR said:

On average lately, he's been letting in 1 or 2 goals that he would normally stop.  That's your 1 to 1.5 GAA difference right there.

I don't think a prime Demko saves any of those 4 goals last night to be honest. Prime Brodeur doesn't either. They are empty net tap-ins. 

Just now, Alflives said:

He is, and he will bring his A game again. The defence as a whole (not just the dmen but the forwards as well), needs an absolute shakeup. A message needs to be sent.

Here's what I would do next game. Bench Myers and Miller. Lights a fire under both of them, gives them a chance to watch from the pressbox just how terrible turnovers are, and sends a clear message to every single player in the room that NOBODY is more important than the team. I'd also start Martin to give Demko more time to train with Ian Clarke and possibly see a sports psychologist. 

15 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

I don't think a prime Demko saves any of those 4 goals last night to be honest. Prime Brodeur doesn't either. They are empty net tap-ins. 

He is, and he will bring his A game again. The defence as a whole (not just the dmen but the forwards as well), needs an absolute shakeup. A message needs to be sent.

Here's what I would do next game. Bench Myers and Miller. Lights a fire under both of them, gives them a chance to watch from the pressbox just how terrible turnovers are, and sends a clear message to every single player in the room that NOBODY is more important than the team. I'd also start Martin to give Demko more time to train with Ian Clarke and possibly see a sports psychologist. 

Ok, watch the 2nd goal.  No screen, no traffic... low wrist shot, big fat juicy rebound right into the centre of the ice.  That's not normal for Demko.

Hughes should have had his guy, but man, kicking a rebound straight into the slot is not exactly elite goaltending.  It's a simple little wrist shot with no screen.

Carolina game:  Again, goal #2 against.  Juicy rebound right into the slot.  Terrible angle, no screen, no traffic.

Wild:  Goal #2 again... a floater of a shot he normally would stop (and most goalies would if they were in position and square).

Edited by HKSR
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

2 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Don’t do what exactly?

I was pointing out that 9 points in 10 games in this instance is absolutely not indicative of quality of play. Dude’s puck management is some of the worst I’ve seen in a stretch of 10 games in….let’s just say a long time. It’s been somewhat better since he’s been moved to the wing….probably simply because he now has the puck on his stick less at 5 on 5. 

"Miller’s 9 points will not mask his poor play to anyone who has decent knowledge of the game of hockey." 

Did he set up both of Bo's goals las night? I know the first one was a sweet pass.

My comment is just asking you not to ridicule people's opinion and act superior. 

JT is a good player. If he wasn't he wouldn't be a top line guy and ppg for a long time.

Again, not the issue on the team. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

47 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

All I'm saying is that rebuilds almost never happen "properly." So get ready for that.

But at the same time, c'mon, Edmonton was pretty bad - we should not give any credit to their rebuild. They had multiple 1st overall picks and weren't able to make any meaningful improvement until they drafted McJesus. New Jersey's hasn't been bad but still took almost a decade, and Buffalo's was terrible as well - has everyone already forgotten how 5 different men went through their head coaching carousel? But I guess now they finally have a solid pool of young players to show for it. 

The only "proper" rebuild I can recently recall is what the Avalanche went through. 

A proper rebuild is selling assets for picks and future and gathering as many prospect as possible. You can argue they drafted horribly but they definitely rebuild the right way. Colorado lucked out. They were definitely not intending to tank and ended up with makar. They were more rebuilding back in the late 2000s and early 2013 and then they had an anomaly season where they landed makar.. they literally went from 39 wins to the league worse record and then back to a 39+ win team if they didn’t some how landed makar with their weird season they prolly no where near contender status. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

A proper rebuild is selling assets for picks and future and gathering as many prospect as possible. You can argue they drafted horribly but they definitely rebuild the right way. Colorado lucked out. They were definitely not intending to tank and ended up with makar. They were more rebuilding back in the late 2000s and early 2013 and then they had an anomaly season where they landed makar.. they literally went from 39 wins to the league worse record and then back to a 39+ win team if they didn’t some how landed makar with their weird season they prolly no where near contender status. 

this is an important point to remember, tanking is not a guarantee. 

But something has to give here, and soon. 

10 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

It's the fault of Mike Gillis.:lol:  (like how Albertans still look around for the 'bad guy' when you say the words "National Energy Program" or "Trudeau" three times)

I could spend an hour arguing the gillis point but it's just so not worth it lol

But I get ya, oh man I get ya,

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Jaimito said:

At least Bear looked ok. 

QH is bit rusty coming back from injury.

That is sad though right....Bear played 0 games before last night, Hughes played and played a lot...so if anyone was too look poorly it would of been Bear imo. If Hughes, OEL and anyone else is NOT 100% let them rest and get healthy, we ain't doing better with them in the lineup 

• There it is 1

7 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Ok, watch the 2nd goal.  No screen, no traffic... low wrist shot, big fat juicy rebound right into the centre of the ice.  That's not normal for Demko.

Demko is struggling. As is everyone else.  We have a team full of good players but as a team they are not good. So sad to see.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

9 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Yes, unfortunately the time has come to explore options.

But the time has not yet come to sell because hardly any other teams have the cap space to take the players that would normally bring back an acceptable return.

If we sell now, we will get absolutely minimum for virtually any current Canucks or prospect.

And if you're selling now, it must be to rebuild isn't it, and our draft picks are the only tickets which will garner a decent return.

As many of us have said all year, this is going to be (now is) a down year due to how the team is constructed and zero cap space (for almost every team).

And many of you are over-reacting; Jesus, get a Valium prescription or something.

It is one loss against one of the fasted and best young up-and-coming teams in the league.

When Bruce showed up, he said to try to win the week.

Well, we won the week last week (1 loss; then 2 wins).

We lost the first one this week; lets see if we can win the next 2 (ANA & NASH) and, win this week.

Which have had many top 5 picks over the last few years. The Canucks never seem to fall into that bracket even with the third worst record on the season.

I'm probably one of the biggest fans of this team, and have been since the beginning. It seems I've only been teased every twelve or so years, but once, just once I'd like to see a SC parade in the streets of Vancouver. With this group of some very talented kids, there sure is something or someone missing.

Goal, we all thought Demko would be lights out, are they hiding an injury?

Defense, one or two pieces, but certainly not enough to challenge the elite teams.

Forwards, A very good top 6, and a decent bottom 6, but they struggle to get a vital goal, kill off a crucial penalty, and they aren't big enough to play deep into the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, JM_ said:

If Rutherford does decide to go the blow up route, the new long term Rogers deal might help Aqua agree to that route since the revenue from that is locked down for 10 years. 

He’ll go with the Rodgers revenue and the 4 playoff game revenue. That’s the brick wall that separates the rebuild from reality. Someone needs to tell him his brain is an app and he should start using it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

Demko is struggling. As is everyone else.  We have a team full of good players but as a team they are not good. So sad to see.

No disagreement, but honestly, the team would play with a lot more confidence if they knew their goaltender was holding the fort.  He doesn't need to be elite.  He just needs to be average.  A 4.xx GAA and 0.876 SV% just doesn't cut it for any team in the entire league. 

• Thanks 1
  • There it is 1