The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] New Jersey Devils at Vancouver Canucks | Nov. 01, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, AV. said:

Didn't he only retain less than 1M?  The recapture was more detrimental.

Regardless, what are your thoughts on the Coyotes retaining a portion of OEL's salary for what'll be close to a decade.  That trade netted them a Guenther, who's doing quite well to start his career.  I'm not really in favour of retaining beyond 2-3 seasons, much less the full contract as it would be for Miller, but if you get a similar piece in a deal, the 1.5M is quite miniscule to deal with.  Heck, right now, we're basically dealing with as much, or even more, in dead cap with the buyouts of Virtanen and Holtby, and bonus of Jaroslav Halak.

The salary cap - as it so often gets communicated to me by some here whenever we sign a bad contract - is allegedly going up, so, by that logic, it makes he 1.5M even less of an actual barrier in the long-run, no?

Arizona's an exception as winning isn't a priority there and they'll never spend to the cap.  No GM with a functioning brain would have risked the recapture, but the retention made it even worse.  Even suggesting retention for more than once season should be grounds for immediate termination of employment, regardless of return.  It's completely unacceptable for management to cripple the long-term health of the franchise like this.  Same goes for buyouts.

38 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Totally understand.   It just needs to start with one trade and go from there.   I think both Myers and Pearson are easy enough to unload at the TDL, Myers with retention.   

Both TO and OTT blew up their roster. TO - Lou "we had to work awfully hard to get the best odds for number one (Mathews)" .   OTT had a team that was one goal from the final.   It turned into a total gong show.   But they certainly had assets, and they ended up with a crazy number of picks despite losing Byram.  Plus that team actually does consistently hit on later picks.   Hard not to respect that. 

Getting pretty close to feeling like Brass is gaslighting the fanbase.  

Horvat i think should be traded too.  Miller vs Horvat is totally childish, and we have the room for both.   But why should we?   

I still have a tiny bit of hope.  It's not squashed completely...five games.   We better see 3 wins and full efforts each game or fuck them all.   I'm tired of pumping players tires that haven't done squat.   EP included. 

I don’t know about gas lighting…I think they have been trying to make changes but other teams know how terribly constructed this team is, if they give is what we want then it could tip us into a right direction and make us a hard team to play against, even make noise in the playoffs…so GMs would rather let us flounder and flop, once we’re as dead as can be they can get our assets way cheaper. JR is not at a very good point fir strength in negotiating a big franchise altering deal, no GM in the league will entertain that notion…so instead we are stuck to bargain trades or trades with basement teams who are also just as crappy as us…JR has a huge hill to climb. It can be done but we better pucker our butts if we want change that bad because the only 2 guys that other teams will give the world for right now are Petey and Hughes.

10 hours ago, Devron said:

I hope wherever he goes he gets paid and wins the cup. Bo has done nothing but what he’s been asked since day 1. Shutdown center in his sophomore year on a crap time. Crap line mates most of his career and still managed 20+ goals a season consistently. Bo deserves better and I hope he gets it,

The problem with Bo is that he isn't "great" 5v5 and isn't a shutdown centre. He is a bit of a tweener in terms of his skill set. Can't pay a guy like that $7 plus million for eight years. Mgmt is best to maximize his value and reset the team's culture. Hopefully mgmt is able to pull off a solid TDL and not wiff like last year.

Wish No all the best but he will get paid...more concerned about the Canucks turning this ship around over the next couple years.

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Arizona's an exception as winning isn't a priority there and they'll never spend to the cap.  No GM with a functioning brain would have risked the recapture, but the retention made it even worse.  Even suggesting retention for more than once season should be grounds for immediate termination of employment, regardless of return.  It's completely unacceptable for management to cripple the long-term health of the franchise like this.  Same goes for buyouts.

Oh man.. I would hate hate to see Bedard end up in Arizona where the owners just don't give a crap... looking for a buyout

20 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Ya I don’t buy the thought matchups thing for Myers now.

bear looked better in one on one battles with Jack Hughes than Myers did. I’d like to elevate bear as he’s ready too.

OEL has been far from his best or even what he provided last season and if he has to be great to carry Myers in tough matchups. So it’s just been a mess.

Agreed. They also gotta get Rathbone into the lineup, if they view Stillman as an asset they need to maintain then they should try to get a pick for him right now if possible.

Hughes - Schenn

OEL - Bear

Rathbone - Myers

Burroughs

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, 5nothincanucksohno said:

The problem with Bo is that he isn't "great" 5v5 and isn't a shutdown centre. He is a bit of a tweener in terms of his skill set. Can't pay a guy like that $7 plus million for eight years. Mgmt is best to maximize his value and reset the team's culture. Hopefully mgmt is able to pull off a solid TDL and not wiff like last year.

Wish No all the best but he will get paid...more concerned about the Canucks turning this ship around over the next couple years.

No I don’t agree that’s a problem at all. Centers should be Petey and Horvat. A tweener? The guys a 30 goal scorer. Has 8 on the year already. Face off guru. 

Big F up re-signing Miller. Horvat will be traded I have no doubt about it now. But it is a F up. Management painted him into a corner by re-signing Miller. 

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I don’t know about gas lighting…I think they have been trying to make changes but other teams know how terribly constructed this team is, if they give is what we want then it could tip us into a right direction and make us a hard team to play against, even make noise in the playoffs…so GMs would rather let us flounder and flop, once we’re as dead as can be they can get our assets way cheaper. JR is not at a very good point fir strength in negotiating a big franchise altering deal, no GM in the league will entertain that notion…so instead we are stuck to bargain trades or trades with basement teams who are also just as crappy as us…JR has a huge hill to climb. It can be done but we better pucker our butts if we want change that bad because the only 2 guys that other teams will give the world for right now are Petey and Hughes.

Yeah that's a tad harsh.  And it's also why you don't often see major moves in the same conference.   Nothing wrong with sending guys East. 

2 minutes ago, Devron said:

No I don’t agree that’s a problem at all. Centers should be Petey and Horvat. A tweener? The guys a 30 goal scorer. Has 8 on the year already. Face off guru. 

Big F up re-signing Miller. Horvat will be traded I have no doubt about it now. But it is a F up. Management painted him into a corner by re-signing Miller. 

For sure they can sign Horvat to the same money deal over 8 years.   Should they though?   I don't think so.  Not unless they do something amazing like last season starting very very soon.   Team always had 15-16 for both Horvat and Miller, and that was before the announcement that cap could go up 4-4.5 next season. 

2 minutes ago, Muttley said:

The team has to take responsibility for the way it comes out to play but IMO, the roster chosen last night was wrong. When you have a really good game,

throw the same group out for the next. Rathbone should have played. The new players need time to get use to the habits of their new team mates and vice versa.

Our defense was a cluster fudge to put it mildly. 

Last game was decent. Should've gone with the same bunch, including Spencer Martin.

You would bench Quinn Hughes if he's ready to go?

19 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Do you guys remember the cup run by the Blues back in 2018-19? They were 3 games below .500 in early Jan... and then got into a 11-game winning streak and off to one of the best cinderella stories of Stanley Cup champs!

My point is, nothing is impossible.... 

But... it'd really suck balls if we finish near the bottom and don't get Bedard.... or at least top 3 picks!!

Until we get a parayko, Bouwmeester or Pietrelangelo on the blue line and a thomas, fabbri  and schmaltz for our bottom 6 the comparisons are kind of moot.  The blues were a cup contender to start the season and while they pulled off one of the best comeback stories in league history were a far better team on paper and ice than we have now

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

For sure they can sign Horvat to the same money deal over 8 years.   Should they though?   I don't think so.  Not unless they do something amazing like last season starting very very soon.   Team always had 15-16 for both Horvat and Miller, and that was before the announcement that cap could go up 4-4.5 next season. 

No that’s the point they f’d it all up. That’s why I’m upset. Really the most realistic thing we can hope for if a great return for Horvat. It’s just the wrong guy that gets traded. Management made their bed 

• Cheers 3
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Do you guys remember the cup run by the Blues back in 2018-19? They were 3 games below .500 in early Jan... and then got into a 11-game winning streak and off to one of the best cinderella stories of Stanley Cup champs!

My point is, nothing is impossible.... 

But... it'd really suck balls if we finish near the bottom and don't get Bedard.... or at least top 3 picks!!

Same argument people here made last year on why the Canucks could make the playoffs. Funny how that turned out :lol:

What the Blues did was improbable and almost a miracle, and there's a reason for that 

Edited by iinatcc
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

14 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

My butt will survive until i'm cremated or thrown under a tree.   Thanks for your concern though.  I have said, since the start of the JB era, that we are in for a very very long haul.   Not ten years.  It won't even be ten years until 2014-2015.  People exaggerate.  Our rebuild started in 2017.    And didn't last long enough.

So ... what to do.  One foot forward.  Start with one trade but at least have a strategy. 

• Cheers 1