The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bruce Boudreau on the hot seat?

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, Devron said:

Yep I think everyone needs to be accountable here. It’s not just the defence, the goaltending, our forwards 2 way plays. Bruce and JR himself need to be accountable as well. 

Bruce has been playing Stillman for crying out loud so he does not get a pass here like some have been giving him. Love the man but this is a mess. 

I would like to see how this team plays within a structured system before it gets blown up.  There is no point blowing up the team if Boudreau is gone next year.  It would be very short sighted just to make a bunch of trades in order to save the season.  And yes I am referring to BO as well.  Not sure it's a good idea to trade him in this environment.  Bring in Barry Trotz and see what happens.  Blowing this team up may do more damage than it fixes.  

• Cheers 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

I would like to see how this team plays within a structured system before it gets blown up.  There is no point blowing up the team if Boudreau is gone next year.  It would be very short sighted just to make a bunch of trades in order to save the season.  And yes I am referring to BO as well.  Not sure it's a good idea to trade him in this environment.  Bring in Barry Trotz and see what happens.  Blowing this team up may do more damage than it fixes.  

Doesn’t sound like we are going to blow it up in the end judging by JR’s comments which I’m totally fine with. I’m not on team tank cause there’s no guarantees that will work either just another 10 years of pain. I could see one player moved that might be a shocker only because our hands our tied. Other than that it will be the more obvious ones. Garland, Boeser, Myers etc 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Would our owner pay the freight to sign Barry Trotz?  He’d still be paying Green and Bruce.  

I believe that is the best move that can be made.  If Francesco is serious about winning a Cup then he has to pay the piper.  Don't care if he has to pay 3 coaches.  Aquilini took too long to fire Benning and Green.  Then he hired Boudreau before he even hired JR.  He did everything backwards.  Should have hired JR first and let him pick his coach.  

Bring in Barry Trotz and see what happens with this roster.  If we are not blowing 2 goal leads anymore then I think we win alot more games.  As for player movement, it should wait until the offseason.  As for BO, the best way to handle it is to just sign him to an extension.  I am sure Barry Trotz can make it work with BO on the team...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

I believe that is the best move that can be made.  If Francesco is serious about winning a Cup then he has to pay the piper.  Don't care if he has to pay 3 coaches.  Aquilini took too long to fire Benning and Green.  Then he hired Boudreau before he even hired JR.  He did everything backwards.  Should have hired JR first and let him pick his coach.  

Bring in Barry Trotz and see what happens with this roster.  If we are not blowing 2 goal leads anymore then I think we win alot more games.  As for player movement, it should wait until the offseason.  As for BO, the best way to handle it is to just sign him to an extension.  I am sure Barry Trotz can make it work with BO on the team...

Tell our owner to get this done.  He like you!  

• Cheers 1

JR isn’t wrong though, the really good teams play in sync via systems. 
‘Bruce’s Capitals was one of the best teams I have seen playing as a 5 man unit. It really was great to watch. 
‘He can’t get that out of this group because this group doesn’t have it in them. 

"something needs to be done" 

"we have bad habits"

"we need to fix the defence"

all said by JR who hasn't done any of that since the offseason, when you had the biggest trade piece on the market. 

he's past it and you could tell.

Allvin is just a puppet, JR is the ringleader. He should be held accountable for his failures.

• Vintage 1

yet another "smart hire" by Francesco going to someone who'd already retired probably seeing all the success in Pitts when JR already had a prime Crosby and Malkin. 

Dude likes anyone who thinks can bring in a quick fix. 

JR has his accolades but accolades don't mean sh*t all when your actions with your current team have been kind of lazy/sloppy.

You already know this because he himself admitted that "he didn't know/wasn't aware" of Bruce Boudreau's contract terms exactly on HNIC. I have to admit, that baffled me.

Excuse me? 

Aren't you and upper management supposed to be aware of that? I understand that Francesco hired Bruce but shouldn't you know clearly, your own coach's contract terms?

I just hope he re-signs and retires. He's accomplished enough.

Edited by PetterssonOrPeterson
  • There it is 1

If the owner is influencing hockey decisions, why would any veteran coach even consider Vancouver as a destination. JR did a great job of filling vacancies and creating management positions in the office, but must have took the day off when it was time to fix the defence. Keep doing the same thing but expecting different results. 

11 minutes ago, igorwasgreat said:

If the owner is influencing hockey decisions, why would any veteran coach even consider Vancouver as a destination. JR did a great job of filling vacancies and creating management positions in the office, but must have took the day off when it was time to fix the defence. Keep doing the same thing but expecting different results. 

Group think, focused on the fringes but not the meat and potatoes 

• There it is 1

2 hours ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

Bruce looks checked out though. Same criticism he got in Anaheim and Washington. It would be fine if there were signs of growth but the leads then losses is deja vu on loop.

I'm shocked that yeo isn't gone though. In other sports you fire the bad assistant first to buy you time. Hell there's a mike yeo bump, every team that gets rid of him had improved the next season.

But Yeo is an Alvinie hire and Bruce is not

ergo 

Yeo is a superior person and coach

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Dave Tippet would be a cheaper version. 

Tippet, Alain Vignault or Guy Boucher 

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I agree with Rutherford.  With a proper structure and system in place we could be much better even with the defence that we have.  Boudreau does not play a system.  It's a loosy goosy system where we can score lots of goals but also give up more goals than we score.

We are 10th in goals for, but 29th in goals against.  We don't have a problem scoring goals, the problem is keeping the puck out of the net.  Demko hasn't been good, but he's probably shocked at how bad we are structurally which has thrown off his game.

Only way to fix this is to change the coach.  I don't think bringing in new players will help much.  

same group that bailed out on Greenie a year ago

were sparked to life by the change in management and 2/3 of the coaching staff

fell into a coma over the off season

and you don't think its the players?