The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Senators to retire Chris Neil's No. 25

Rate this topic

14 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

I like Neil but a jersey retirement is a bit much for me. 

On one hand I agree with that,

On the other, Senators is a relatively new franchise with not many players that would qualify for that (compared to some original 6 or older franchises).  Also, with how the game has evolved and being more a business than a game and players spending less and less time with only one franchise, I think the jersey retirement standards needs to come down otherwise, we won't see any jersey retirement anymore.

But I agree with most, every franchise should have 2 level, ROH and jersey retirement.

He played over 1000 games with the team.  And the franchise only started in the 90s.  I don't have a problem with it.  The Canucks don't really have a counterpart for this, but it would have been Edler if he had stuck around to 1000 and given the Canucks a difficult choice.  As it is, Edler made it an easy decision for the ROH.

Something somewhat similar might be Ken Daneyko in New Jersey or Adam Foote in Colorado (retired numbers).  I think 1000 games might well get you retired in most spots that aren't an original six team.

This is Ottawa's equivalent to retiring Smyl's number. 

Smyl obviously better numbers. But this is less about an incredible career and more about a heart and soul guy who gave it all for the club, and a team with a relative dearth of players to honour choosing one that meant a lot to the team. 

Seems like the Sens are desperate for something to stoke the fans.

I really didn't care for Neil. Some tough guys still have a certain code that they follow, Neil didn't and routinely tried to run or injure star players. Real tough guys do not do that.

21 hours ago, McBackup said:

This is Ottawa's equivalent to retiring Smyl's number. 

Smyl obviously better numbers. But this is less about an incredible career and more about a heart and soul guy who gave it all for the club, and a team with a relative dearth of players to honour choosing one that meant a lot to the team. 

I don't think Smyl is proper analogy here.  It would be something more like Ken Daneyko in New Jersey.  Of if Boston were to retire Don Sweeney's number perhaps.

Stan Smyl retired as the all time Canucks record holder in games, goals, assists and possibly penalty minutes (I don't remember but it was close either way).  In addition to captaining the Canucks to the Cup final.  He was surpassed by Linden and then Linden by the Sedins (and Naslund briefly).

But the counterpart for Smyl might be something more like Ryan Smyth or Neal Broten.