The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Montreal Canadiens | Nov. 09, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

For me, the1st period encompassed what the Canucks are (so far) this season.

This team just gives up too many chances. An abnormal amount of it comes from individual error/just not good enough. Forwards, defence, and goaltending included.

Mgmt needs to transition from some of their more leaky/ineffective players sooner rather than later if they want to “build” something here.  

9 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I would trade Hughes before Petey. 

Petey will be a dominant 1C for many years. 

Hughes will be a 1st pairing D for many years but he'll need to rely on his D partner. Also a defensemen needs. To know how to play defense in his own zone first. Hughes has the skills just not the size unfortunately. This gets exposed in our end... 

That would be my move as well, NJ as the obvious spot.  Doubt it'll happen, but I think that's the kind of big move that needs to be done

• Cheers 1

Losses like tonight piss me off wayyy more than losing the Nashville game. 

It just exposes how crappy we are and it's frustrating to watch. 

Sucks because I was one of those that drank the Kool-Aid. I believed in this team... I defended guys like Boeser, OEL, Myers. 

Damn....same crap every year.. I felt like this when we were clawing our way back into playoff contention last year

And then we lose a crucial game to a team like Anaheim. These guys are pretenders. Allvin is correct. Many of the wins came last year when teams took us for granted and played half ass with their backup in net. 

Now what.... 

Lets go for a 3 year rebuild. 

Hughes to NJ

Miller to NY

Kuz at the deadline to a contender

OEL with cap retained

Same with Myers 

They would at least be solid 4-6D on a cup contender... 

Schenn to a contender

Horvat to the highest bidder 

Hope Demko plays like old Demko and trade him too

Garland too. 

Tell Petey plan is to build around him. If he doesn't want to be a part of this, ship him out too. 

Play guys like petey, Podz, Hogz Lockwood and grinders 

LOL insulate the youth with vets to keep a competitive culture my ass. 

Beagle, Roussel, Sutter, completely useless signings... 

Now we are undoing all that work (OEL) and need to completely rebuild. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

If BB still has a job tomorrow and there are no trades, Demko needs to be the back up from here on (or until he gets his game back).

It wouldn’t surprise me if Bruce becomes the scapegoat for this group of misfits. It would surprise  me if he was replaced prior to HNIC in the centre of the universe. 

24 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

First of all: I couldn't watch the game today as I worked a damn 12 hour shift.  

However the season is not over because we lost today.  

The media has whipped our fans into such a frenzy that the sky is falling after every single loss. 

After watching the highlights and the stats, I'm once again worried about Demko. He's letting pucks go through him. 

It's time to ride Spencer Martin and see where we are after 20 games.  

As I mentioned before, if we are at 18 points or less, then sell whatever you want. 

If we are at 22 or above, then stay the course and look for a top 4 RHD that we can keep into the future. 

I agree we shouldn't panic.  But it should be pointed out that we've played 14 games and we have 11 points.

To get to 22 points after 20 games we'd have to win 5 of the remaining 6 and get a loser point in the other.

Even to get to 18 points, we'll have to win 3 of the remaining 6 and get a loser point in one of the others.  And we have some formidible opponents in these next 6 games - Vegas and Boston for two, the top two teams in the league at the moment.

• RoughGame 1

26 minutes ago, JamesB said:

Some comments:

1.After several games last year I repeated the frequently made adage that "the team with the better goalie usually wins". Not always, but usually. So far this year in his 10 starts, Demko has been the better goalie maybe once, if that. And this team is not good enough to overcome sub-standard goaltending--at least not on a consistent basis. Is it related to his summer surgery? just a slump? or what?

2. The Canucks were actually slightly ahead of Montreal in expected goals after a strong 3rd period. Great goaltending can cover up a lot of problems (as happened in Ottawa) but bad goaltending makes it awfully hard for a team to look good.

3. The Petey line was fantasitic (with Mikhayev and mostly with Kuz and sometimes with Hoglander). Petey's on-ice shot differential was 10 shots for and 0 shots against. His expected goals for percentage was over 90%,which is very unusual. The Corsi numbers were 15-2. That is total dominance. Hoglander was also good and deserves to stay in the line-up.

4. The Horvat line struggled without Miller and Miller made an obvious gaffe that led directly to a goal. He is better on Horvat's wing than at center. That helps both players.

5. It might be a bit early to end the Rathbone experiment but it is getting close. Horrible giveaway that led to a goal tonight and generally substandard defensive play. But I would give him two or three more games to see if he is ready for the NHL.Otherwise, back to Abby.

6. It is striking how results-oriented we are. Aside from goaltending the team was actually better tonight in Montreal than last night in Ottawa. But tonight the comments are very negative whereas last night the were running positive overall.

One good thing about Demko's play is that it has shown that the team in not good enough. As many others have said it needs a real re-build. That does not mean trade everyone, but it does mean trade Miller and Horvat and anyone else they can over age 24 or so. And lets actually follow through on the stated objective of acquiring picks and not paying big money to aging vets. So far JR has talked a good game and then done the opposite.

Great post James.  Last night they could out score their problems but we know that's not sustainable. 

Do you think the problems on defence lies within the system, personnel or both?

• Thanks 1

This team needs that emotional breakdown, to rise up and come back and battle through. Maybe I’m crazy, but the losses havent fuelled enough fire. I want to see sticks being slammed and thrashed into a thousand pieces, helmets and gloves thrown recklessly. Crossbars feeling the wrath of the paddle. Nets being pushed off and shoved into the corner….. from there we will rise. Right now, just feels like a bunch of self pity and wallowing in their own sorrows. Not enough emotion to care to do something about it.

im pretty hammered right now and Im furious. I believed in this team, I believed they would be better than the pre-season, thought they learned from last season, had faith they would turn it around and shrug the early losses off… 

The most frustrating part is I cant even get a read on this team, they are so inconsistent and letting in powerplay goals so FVCKING QUICK its not even funny. Whats the average powerplay last against us??? That and surrendering goals so bloody quick into a period/start of game that its like wtf just happened?? Like is this player personnel?? Systems??? Bad luck??? Are we genuinely just a dog sh!t team??! WHAT THE FVCK IS GOING ON. Half the time it feels like teams just enter the zone and score, they dont even need sustained pressure.

fvck i need another beer

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

35 minutes ago, JamesB said:

6. It is striking how results-oriented we are. Aside from goaltending the team was actually better tonight in Montreal than last night in Ottawa. But tonight the comments are very negative whereas last night the were running positive overall.

Speaking as one results-oriented fan, I'd much rather see the team win and have poor Corsi numbers than to see the team lose and have great Corsi numbers.

Whatever the hell Corsi numbers are.   :)

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Should we really consider signing Horvat? We sign him, it doesn't change anything about the team and in fact keeps the same personnel long term when we know it doesn't work.!I am a bit scared if they decide to sign him. There needs to be change.

do you think they are going to get rid of every player on the roster?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Should we really consider signing Horvat? We sign him, it doesn't change anything about the team and in fact keeps the same personnel long term when we know it doesn't work.!I am a bit scared if they decide to sign him. There needs to be change.

Bo could be traded but I doubt u get back full value,surely we have other options management needs to work a little harder god knows theres enough minions runnin around With this management group address the team needs ffs instead of posturing and lip service

32 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Horvat isnt the problem.  Hes part of the solution here 

• There it is 2

5 minutes ago, Cluminati* said:

Hit the nail on the head!

I've been saying this forever. To many homers in Canuckland. Owners/management don't care cause people keep buying (this crap) it up. I just saw someone comment that we need to be patient and not panic ... it's only game 14. :picard:

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2