The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 FIFA World Cup

-Vintage Canuck-

Hearing all the expert Canadian fans over analyzing this is pretty funny. Croatia made the finals in 2018. 2nd best in the world. And we are a MLS tweener team.

This is the equivalent of Croatias Olympic hockey team facing Team Canada. 

We got a beautiful early goal. I'm happy. 

Edited by MaxVerstappen33
  • Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

Hearing all the expert Canadian fans over analyzing this is pretty funny. Croatia made the finals in 2018. 2nd best in the world. And we are a MLS tweener team.

This is the equivalent of Croatias Olympic hockey team facing Team Canada. 

We got a beautiful early goal. I'm happy. 

Yeah. All the power to Canada! :gocan:

We've done well, but Croatia is on another level.

Let's cheer our guys on and wish 'em the best, and hope that as a country, our team is able to get to that next level. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Maybe wouldn't matter at all in the outcome, except Croatia piled it on to embrass them. 

The Canadian coach is a men's WC rookie too.  Should have just be more Canadian than British and gave a humble answer to the press.  Or maybe he did it to take the media off Alfonso for missing the PK.  

Almost like the Luongo tire pumping comment in 2011.  No need to add more pressure. 

I'm no soccer guy but I don't really get the criticism here. What's he supposed to say- "Yeah the Croatians are a much better team than us but hopefully we can keep it close"?

Of course he's going to say something like this. If I were one of his players I'd be disappointed if he didn't.

3 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

I'm no soccer guy but I don't really get the criticism here. What's he supposed to say- "Yeah the Croatians are a much better team than us but hopefully we can keep it close"?

Of course he's going to say something like this. If I were one of his players I'd be disappointed if he didn't.

I personally think it was overblown, but it was still evidently enough for the Croatian players to take notice: 

In any event, it's not that big of a deal. If anything, Herdman's mistake was telling his interviewer what he said, not that he made those comments to his own players. Like others have mentioned here, I don't think it would have mattered, anyway. Canada didn't have the depth or talent in their midfield and backline to stop Croatia's attack. They got a valuable dose of reality, but I still appreciated that they didn't shy away from the challenge.

• Cheers 1

Honestly, those Belgium fans.  It's not like they lost in the Stanley Cup finals!

World Cup riot erupts as fans flip cars and set fires after Belgium vs Morocco match

Belgium's World Cup reverse at the hands of Morocco has not gone down well in the country with supporters swarming the streets as violent scenes broke out and water canons were deployed to control the swell

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/breaking-world-cup-riot-belgium-28596182?utm_source=mirror_newsletter&utm_campaign=euro2020_newsletter2&utm_medium=email&pure360.trackingid=5df9d52c-be54-4b4a-a2d9-23aeaaf01957#comments-wrapper

Edited by UnkNuk

I guess it's one way to advance to the Round of 16:

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/27/football/iran-us-flag-protesters-klinsmann-2022-world-cup-spt-intl/index.html

Iran calls for US to be kicked out of 2022 World Cup after it changes Iran flag on social media to show support for protesters

Iran state media has called for the US to be kicked out of the 2022 World Cup after the United States Soccer Federation changed Iran’s flag on its social media platforms to show support for protesters in Iran.

Ah, well:

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12719309/womens-world-cup-2023-draw-date-teams-schedule-and-final-for-australia-and-new-zealand-tournament

Women's World Cup 2023 takes place in Australia and New Zealand from July 20 to August 20; first Women’s World Cup to feature 32 teams competing in eight groups.

Group B
Australia
Republic of Ireland
Nigeria
Canada

6 hours ago, Jaimito said:

This thread about what the goal keeper was being taunted with by Croatian fans.   Pisses me off. But at least some of the Croatian players showed more class. 

Few years back Serbian journalist asked Borjan how does it feel to be born in Croatia, live in Serbia and be a goal keeper of Canada. He said that he is not from Croatia but Krajina/Dalmatia and that was a Serb place. Typically those kinds of statements will fire up the opposing fans, especially when we consider Serb/Croat history.

I have been a big fan of John Herdman, but I have to say I think he has made serious errors in his coaching in the World Cup.

There is a world of difference between teams in N America/Central America/Carribean and those who are in the WC.... especially Euro teams.  They will kill you instantly given an opportunity.

I think Herdman's structure for the team has been way too offensive, and it has left the team vulnerable to counterattacks.  You just can't give teams like Belgium and Croatia the chances which Canada has gifted them due to the structure and positioning of Canada's team on the field in the last two games.  Canada was constantly out-manned by Croatia on the break.

Sure, Canada outchanced Belgium, but it didn't matter because the Belgians cashed in on their one gold-plated chance.... which happened on the counter... again Canada was out-manned.

Herdman should have stacked the midfield and back... and kept his powder dry and waited for the opportunity which would come.  Instead he put too much on the offensive game and Canada paid for that.

Herdman also made a hugely stupid mistake when he bad-mouthed Croatia and forecast a rout for Canada.  All that did was provide huge motivation for the Croats.  How Herdman could think dis-respecting the runner-up in 2018 was a good idea is beyond me.

Not suggesting Herdman be replaced... but he needs to sit down and acknowledge his errors and do some serious re-thinking of strategy.

Hopefully the team adjusts for Morocco, and we get the consolation victory.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/zlatko-dalic-says-john-herdman-202846158.html

For all of the talk of belonging at this level and putting Canada on the map, a great way to undo all of that is to engage in petty, amateurish stuff like this.  Can't remember the last time, if ever, that a team showed this much poor sportsmanship, not only in the buildup, but in the aftermath of the match.  As much as I wished for a better fate for the players, and as much as I like Herdman as a coach and what he's done for the federation, you can't help but feel he got exactly what he deserved with this result.  A proper humbling.

It won't get talked about by Canadian media, but if we have serious ambitions to be seen as a footballing nation, we need to call out this pathetic, inferior mentality.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, AV. said:

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/zlatko-dalic-says-john-herdman-202846158.html

For all of the talk of belonging at this level and putting Canada on the map, a great way to undo all of that is to engage in petty, amateurish stuff like this.  Can't remember the last time, if ever, that a team showed this much poor sportsmanship, not only in the buildup, but in the aftermath of the match.  As much as I wished for a better fate for the players, and as much as I like Herdman as a coach and what he's done for the federation, you can't help but feel he got exactly what he deserved with this result.  A proper humbling.

It won't get talked about by Canadian media, but if we have serious ambitions to be seen as a footballing nation, we need to call out this pathetic, inferior mentality.

Players from opposite teams literally hug each other and exchange jerseys after their matches, coaches on opposing teams hug each other never mind shake hands after important matches.  Telling Croatia, the 2018 World Cup finalists, that "we are going to f*** you up" and then not even shaking the other coaches' hand after the game is a minor league move by Herdman and shows he doesn't really follow football at all.  That's now how the greatest coaches in football act or behave.  Carlo Ancelotti, Pep Guardiola, Jose Mourinho, Jurgen Klopp, these guys all have class and respect each other and their opponents.  

We need to get more experienced people on board if we ever want to be taken seriously on the world stage.  We are co-hosting the 2026 World Cup, so we qualify automatically.  Maybe we should spend more time on developing our game here in Canada over these next 4 years so we can do better in 2026.  Our women's team won a gold medal at the Olympics.  Julia Grosso, who scored the golden goal, now plays in Italy for the Juventus women's team.  The men need to follow in the women's footsteps on the world stage.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Players from opposite teams literally hug each other and exchange jerseys after their matches, coaches on opposing teams hug each other never mind shake hands after important matches.  Telling Croatia, the 2018 World Cup finalists, that "we are going to f*** you up" and then not even shaking the other coaches hand after the game is a minor league move by Herdman and shows he doesn't really follow football at all.  That's now how the greatest coaches in football act or behave.  Carlo Ancelotti, Pep Guardiola, Jose Mourinho, Jurgen Klopp, these guys all have class and respect each other and their opponents.  

We need to get more experienced people on board if we ever want to be taken seriously on the world stage.  We are co-hosting the 2026 World Cup so we qualify automatically.  Maybe we should spend more time on developing our game here in Canada over these next 4 years so we can do better in 2026.  Our women's team won a gold medal at teh Olympics.  Julia Grosso, who scored the golden goal, now plays in Italy for the Juventus women's team.  The men need to follow in the women's footsteps on the world stage.

Exactly.  Usually, something contentious needs to be happen within the game for managers to avoid each other, and even then, that often comes with criticism.  Canadian media seems more content to ignore that and instead, continue infantilizing the team for scoring their first goal.  And, again, not to invalidate the moment, but more so raise the standard to legitimize belonging at this level.

• Upvote 1