The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2022 FIFA World Cup

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I'm happy france turned it around. It really was a fantastic match. Once you get to penalties it's anyone's game. I'm happy for Messi, obviously a phenomenal player. But the ARG keeper is a clown.

Yes. Im  sure Ray Emery wouldn't have done something like this

0_Argentina-v-France-Final-FIFA-World-Cu

Edited by MaxVerstappen33
  • Upvote 1

Game lived up to the hype. 

Stars showed up.  Argentina looked like Canucks for a while there, blowing multi goal lead, and then another lead in extra time. 

Mbappe scores a WC final hattrick and still loses.  

This guy's wish came true. 

20221201105855_0T5A6809.JPG

Edited by Jaimito

Gotta say, this whole tournament was a bit of a disappointment for me....

Holland and England bow out in the QFs, but that was expected....I also thought Canada was in tough, but not to get even a single point out the Group Stage matches is very disappointing....

But what what disappoints me more than anything is that I lost all respect for Lio Messi in this tournament. Going in, I would have been right there with everyone else, being happy that he finally won a World Cup....

But the way he and his teammates comported themselves these past two weeks (and especially against the Dutch) has completely ruined it for me.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but that's how I feel. Hopefully 2026 turns out better....

Oh, and BTW, Messi is not the GOAT....that is still Pele....

• Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

Messi is easily the greatest, and he would have been even without the trophy today. Maradona is the only other who compares.

Everyone else is a level below. Pele, Ronaldo etc included.

Pele and Pushkash.  

Final was pretty epic -- 2 goal comeback to tie in regulation, late PK comeback in extra time, then Argentina with the clutch kicks in penalties.

Can't help but think the French shouldn't have had to concede that 1st penalty when the Argentinian tripped on nothing, that might be the only blemish for me (did they check the VAR system)?

7 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Holland and England bow out in the QFs, but that was expected....I also thought Canada was in tough, but not to get even a single point out the Group Stage matches is very disappointing....

But what what disappoints me more than anything is that I lost all respect for Lio Messi in this tournament. Going in, I would have been right there with everyone else, being happy that he finally won a World Cup....

But the way he and his teammates comported themselves these past two weeks (and especially against the Dutch) has completely ruined it for me.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but that's how I feel. Hopefully 2026 turns out better....

Don't get me wrong, I think Pele was absolutely amazing, especially in 1970. I still remember how he opened up the score in the final against Italy. And his assist on the last Brazilian goal in that game- was out of this world for sure.

But the  thing about Pele is he never played in any European Ligue. I highly doubt that he would survived Spanish, French or Italian championships had he played there.

Messi and Maradona did just fine in Europe.

And his 1000 goals came as a result of Santos playing against weak teams in Brazil and exhibition games for Santos and Brazil all over the globe.

8 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Messi with 2 and Mbappe with a hat trick in the final.   

Most goals scored in a World Cup with 172 which works out to 2.68 per match.   France 98 and Brazil 2014 had 171.

Let's hope '26 does it better.

The total number of goals should be greater in '26.

FIFA is expanding the number of teams in the World Cup from 32 to 48 and the total number of games from 64 to 80.

We have just witnessed the greatest footballer lift the trophy in the greatest final ever.  As a neutral, I don't think I'll see another single game with such monumental stakes, crazy highs and lows, and the expected superstars show up in the best of ways.

Lionel Messi is the goat.  Pele is the most iconic player of all time, and this sport isn't what it is without him.  But today we saw Leo Messi's last dance, and this deservedly makes him the most accomplished player of all time.

9 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

No doubt Argentina crossed the line at times.  But what the heck did Messi do wrong here?  The only eventful match was indeed against the Netherlands, but I can't see how that ruins it for you.  Unless you were pulling for the Dutch.  Paredes booting the ball into the bench was probably the one thing that completely crossed the line.  The rest was complete shithousery on both sides.  Noppert and the Dutch team were harassing the Argentine penalty takers hard.  Martinez and his team got some sweet payback and I don't blame them for taunting the Dutch after the win.  As a neutral, who doesn't like drama?  Messi's contempt for Louis van Gaal stems from the way the coach treated Leo's idol Riquelme, over 20 years ago in Barcelona.  Van Gaal (a true media maverick who will always say something insane on record), was dismissive of Messi.  So given the big picture, Messi's taunts are just savage.

As a soccer nation, when it comes to pure national obsession and zeal Argentina is alone at the top, even over countries like Brazil, Uruguay or England.  For what it's worth, the spirit of the entire nation rests upon the success and failure of the national team.  It is worshipped at an entirely different level in such a deep way that most of us can't comprehend.  I don't think there's an athlete in history who has been under more pressure than Messi.

I enjoyed the spectacle of the tournament but I found the constant calls in Argentina's favour and non-calls against them to be suspicious at best. This WC honestly felt like fan service to me, the best team didn't win but the best story did.

I think a healthy France would wipe the floor with that Argentina side 9 times out of 10, personally

I know he's older now, but I just wasn't impressed with Messi relative to the amount of praise he was getting for doing literally anything. You'd think a number 10 has never connected a nice pass or beat a defender before. Compare his campaign with the truly transcendent WC performances of modern history and I just don't get it. 

Give me Fat Ronaldo any day of the week.

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, GLASSJAW said:

I enjoyed the spectacle of the tournament but I found the constant calls in Argentina's favour and non-calls against them to be suspicious at best. This WC honestly felt like fan service to me, the best team didn't win but the best story did.

I think a healthy France would wipe the floor with that Argentina side 9 times out of 10, personally

I know he's older now, but I just wasn't impressed with Messi relative to the amount of praise he was getting for doing literally anything. You'd think a number 10 has never connected a nice pass or beat a defender before. Compare his campaign with the truly transcendent WC performances of modern history and I just don't get it. 

Give me Fat Ronaldo any day of the week.

Did we watch the same game?  France was getting bodied for almost the entire game until Scaloni made some poor tactical changes that weakened his midfield and completely opened up the French attack.  France's first shot on target was in the 71st minute.  Possession, pass%, shots/target all in favour of ARG.

On an individual level, Messi was a leader in a bunch of crucial stats: shots, created chances, completed dribbles, xG, xA... and of course, goals and assists.  He passes the analytical test with flying colours, and he definitely passed the eye test.  This is a 35 year old at the twilight of his career.  Messi successfully changed his playstyle to make the biggest impact possible at a club level, and in the past two years finally managed to do so at the national level.

Mbappe and Messi stood out among the rest not because they made those nice passes or dribbles.  It's that everytime they did so, they made the opponents PAY.

2 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Did we watch the same game? 

When I say better team I mean in general. France was absolute garbage for the first 3/4 of the game, there's no question. But I maintain a healthy France would demolish that Argentina squad any day of the week.

How many reports came out about players not training, in isolation, experiencing some "mystery virus" in the last few days alone? Not to mention all the stars they had sidelined from the start. Varane coming off today looked like he needed to be put on a drip. 

I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but this is FIFA and Qatar we're talking about. how long before we hear that the French team's dressing room was used as a COVID ward in off hours?

On an individual level, Messi was a leader in a bunch of crucial stats: shots, created chances, completed dribbles, xG, xA... and of course, goals and assists.  He passes the analytical test with flying colours, and he definitely passed the eye test.  This is a 35 year old at the twilight of his career.  Messi successfully changed his playstyle to make the biggest impact possible at a club level, and in the past two years finally managed to do so at the national level.

dude of course he passes the test, he's Messi. who cares about stats, though? great, he scored a bunch of penalty kicks and he was able to create some chances against, hmm [checking notes] Saudi Arabia and Mexico. 

what I said was that I don't get it RELATIVE TO THE HYPE. my point is that when Messi touches the ball and beats a Polish defender, commentators -- both professional and amateur -- lost their collective minds as if each touch was a stroke of genius no forward has ever done before. that's what I don't get. it's very clearly about a culture and celebrity and NOT about stats. if this were about stats, why didn't Griezmann or Bruno Fernandes or the like get the same narrative delicacy or 1/20th the interest?

this world cup could have had a number of great story lines, instead there was just one. Messi. Messi. MESSI!!!! Frankly I just found it exhausting. Of all the great WC performances I've seen in my life, Messi's will ultimately be forgettable compared to the likes of Fat Ronaldo, Cannavaro, or the tiki taka Spaniards and so on. I'll remember the story for sure, but the fact that Messi only scored 2 or 3 open play goals despite booting 32 shots is something I'll likely forget very, very quickly. 

Edited by GLASSJAW