The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Ottawa & Vancouver Still Actively Talking Trade

Warhippy

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We aren’t a winning team even with BO in the lineup. So what difference would it make for Petey whether BO is here or not? 

Honestly this is Peteys team, he has shown us all this year he is ready. Just all around complete player. Never gives up. 

Miller signed here because he believes in the young guys here.

Bo is the only one wanting out…not that I blame him, he has endured a lot here. Sell high and move on. I think it’s needed to change our culture here. A new captain is needed. My vote is Petey or Schenn.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, gurn said:

Yes to this, if it allowed.

In truth I'd like to do the same thing with Kruzemissile, Burroughs and even Bo; though I doubt it happens for any of them.

The last guy I remember getting traded on an expiring deal, then re-signing with the old team was Keith Katchup; though that was a long time back. Must have happened since then.

Vermette is the last guy who springs to mind, Arizona traded him to Chicago and he won a cup, he then turned right around and went back to Arizona. It doesn't happen much despite fans liking to mention it as an option. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Why are we trading Schenn? We all talk about a winning culture and surrounding our young players with proper leadership…but we want to trade Schenn away for a 2nd rounder? Or whatever. 

This team needs solid leaders to get them through the tough times ahead, Schenn by far exudes that kind of leadership. And the way he plays he can probably keep that up for another 2-3 years.

He is worth more to this team than any pick or prospect you may get for him in my honest opinion. 

Because every player should be available for the right price. If a team wants to pay the price management sets I have no issue with him being traded. There's also no guarantee he wants to stay, or that he'll remain as cheap as he currently is. He's on pace for a career year at 33 years old, if he makes it to UFA he'll garner plenty of interest. Hell, if we're out of it leading up to the deadline teams will be calling on him, and I think that's more likely than not.

Plus it's unlikely he's a long term asset anyway. I agree the team needs leaders, I don't think that necessarily needs to be Schenn though, and I like Schenn. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Because every player should be available for the right price. If a team wants to pay the price management sets I have no issue with him being traded. There's also no guarantee he wants to stay, or that he'll remain as cheap as he currently is. He's on pace for a career year at 33 years old, if he makes it to UFA he'll garner plenty of interest. Hell, if we're out of it leading up to the deadline teams will be calling on him, and I think that's more likely than not.

Plus it's unlikely he's a long term asset anyway. I agree the team needs leaders, I don't think that necessarily needs to be Schenn though, and I like Schenn. 

Love Schenn.  He plays th3 right way.  What’s the minimum we actually trade him for?  If the best offer is a third, do we accept that, or keep him?  I thought the fourth for Motte wasn’t worth giving him up.  Should have just kept him for the rest of last season.  If we only can ge5 a third (or less) for Schenn, maybe we should just keep him for the rest of the year?  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Love Schenn.  He plays th3 right way.  What’s the minimum we actually trade him for?  If the best offer is a third, do we accept that, or keep him?  I thought the fourth for Motte wasn’t worth giving him up.  Should have just kept him for the rest of last season.  If we only can ge5 a third (or less) for Schenn, maybe we should just keep him for the rest of the year?  

At this point resigning for two years makes sense as going forward we know what we have and if we have to third pairing would be decent.  

Trading him and say Myers we have a huge hole again on D.  

But if s desperate team gives us a 2nd you have to take it.

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I'd take a second round pick for sure. Not sure about a third, but management would have to do their due diligence regarding how Schenn envisions his future, and what he'll want in a contract if he wants to stay. The numbers gotta work if he's to stay. 

If he's not sure what he wants I think you've gotta take a third though. The Canucks aren't in a position to lose assets for nothing. 

I wouldn’t trade schenn, what he provides and what he costs and what he’d realistically return wouldn’t be worth it. 
We don’t have a single dman in the system that brings what schenn brings. 
he’s a steady veteran presence that’s not afraid to call out lazy teammates. (Miller)

only way he should be moved is If he wanted to be traded. 

48 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

For sure, if he isn't re signing then move him. But if he wants to stay i'd definitely be looking at 2-3 years. He honestly won't be asking much. If we got him around 1.5-2 mil per season then i'd be ok with that. If he's wanting more i'd be a bit cautious.

Thing is with Schenn, he has won 2 cups, so probably for him it's about playing time and fit with a team at this age. He fits very well with us, he is a leader, and you can tell he wants to establish something here, so I think he stays for a decent price...but yeah, who knows. I hope he does!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Since there seems to be a lot of Schenn talk in here this is my take...

If a team offers a 2nd round pick you trade Schenn, even a 3rd round pick and a 5th if offered you move him. We need draft picks that would hopefully turn into prospects. If Schenn wants to come back as a FA we should definitely bring him back. 

If your not trading Schenn then you better re sign the guy before the TDL so he doesn't walk to another team for free as a UFA in July...

We kept character guys in the past and they all walked away for nothing...a small part of the reason our prospect pool is bleak! 

9 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Honestly this is Peteys team, he has shown us all this year he is ready. Just all around complete player. Never gives up. 

Miller signed here because he believes in the young guys here.

Bo is the only one wanting out…not that I blame him, he has endured a lot here. Sell high and move on. I think it’s needed to change our culture here. A new captain is needed. My vote is Petey or Schenn.

Has it been publicized that Bo wants out?  I'm thinking the Canucks are hugely looking for a trade to find the money to keep Bo and my guess is that Bo wants to stay.  But who knows.....well, Bo knows of course.

Miller, Brock and Garland trades would each be the more likely scenario I think.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Has it been publicized that Bo wants out?  I'm thinking the Canucks are hugely looking for a trade to find the money to keep Bo and my guess is that Bo wants to stay.  But who knows.....well, Bo knows of course.

Miller, Brock and Garland trades would each be the more likely scenario I think.

Isn't that what Friedmen and co have been talking about?...maybe it's all just smoke like JT Miller last year. When we played Toronto the other week they made a big deal out of Bo Horvats agent and our management team not meeting while in TO, which they said could indicate he is looking at moving on from the team. Just conjecture at this point I guess. But if Bo is looking to move on I hope we don't lose him for nothing like so many other free agents we've had in the past!

1 hour ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Isn't that what Friedmen and co have been talking about?...maybe it's all just smoke like JT Miller last year. When we played Toronto the other week they made a big deal out of Bo Horvats agent and our management team not meeting while in TO, which they said could indicate he is looking at moving on from the team. Just conjecture at this point I guess. But if Bo is looking to move on I hope we don't lose him for nothing like so many other free agents we've had in the past!

Agree we don't want to lose him for nothing and I'm sure the TDL is the red line for JR and PA.  

But, I haven't read anything that suggests Bo wants out. It's possible that his agent and Canucks brass may not be talking because they have already more or less agreed on terms but some salary dumping is required before the Canucks can finalize the deal.  Or perhaps they agreed that they need to wait to see if the Canucks are doing a rebuild (in which it would be mutually beneficial to trade Bo). There are all sorts of situations that could be in play without there being love lost.  With that said, JR's public comments about Bo's stock rising was pretty poor. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Agree we don't want to lose him for nothing and I'm sure the TDL is the red line for JR and PA.  

But, I haven't read anything that suggests Bo wants out. It's possible that his agent and Canucks brass may not be talking because they have already more or less agreed on terms but some salary dumping is required before the Canucks can finalize the deal.  Or perhaps they agreed that they need to wait to see if the Canucks are doing a rebuild (in which it would be mutually beneficial to trade Bo). There are all sorts of situations that could be in play without there being love lost.  With that said, JR's public comments about Bo's stock rising was pretty poor. 

Actually, that's all very true. I chose poor words to describe the situation. Bo definitely hasn't stated he wants out, it's the news pundits and his agent creating speculation that seem to be creating "stories". I just went back and checked out some info and def nothing coming from Bo himself. My apologies

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, LegionOfDoom said:

Why is everyone talking about trading schenn here? This team is looking like it’s surging towards a playoff spot, he’s been one of the main leaders on this team, we ain’t trading him for picks right now I can promise you that! 

Ok fine at the deadline then if we are on the outside looking in. 

23 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

It's possible, but i don't think that's the case with Bo. I mean, I hope that's the case with Bo and management, but I doubt it. Strange thing though is that there doesn't seem to be any tension that we're hearing from either camp. Bo's agent has been really quiet as well, and Rutherford and Allvin has been mute on Bo's contract negotiations, unlike past managements we've had who would attempt to work through the media and posture and what not. I don't get the sense about Bo and management here. 

Canucks have won 3 straight now, 2 of those teams were contenders and Pacific Division leaders in the Avs and Golden Knights. Those are really good teams, and we won against them both in very good fashion, and defensively did well. I suspect if the team wins the next 3-4 games, and goes on a 6-7 winning streak, could that be enough to restart negotiations with Bo's camp? Lowballing Horvat was unfair (if the rumours were true), and unwise by Rutherford and Allvin - not sure if that kind of tactic and strategy is smart. Bo's the captain of this team, has endured a lot of losing, but has a desire (didn't he state it in the Vancouver Sun or something?) to build and win a championship here. 

• Cheers 1