The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 03, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Chon....use the time since Miller arrived HERE. You can use those numbers because they're relevant to this team. I went back 4 years and checked the hit stats for both.

And you haven't addressed hits.

Anyhow, over it....no point as this is going around in circles.

I’m using points only because of Rutherfords decision of signing miller before horvat what other criteria would he have used.? I’m sure he didn’t limit his decision based off solely 4 years here ,wouldn’t that have been his total point history. Because it doesn’t look like either but more so last seasons 99 points. 

Edited by chon derry

1 minute ago, chon derry said:

I’m using points only because of Rutherfords decision of signing miller before horvat what other criteria would he have used.? I’m sure he didn’t limit his decision based off solely 4 years here ,wouldn’t have been his total point history. Because it doesn’t look like either but more so last seasons 99 points. 

Maybe JR tested the market for both players and found Bo had the better trade value?  So he extended Miller at a good cap cost for us and will trade Bo for much needed help in other positions.  Just guessing, of course.  

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, chon derry said:

I’m using points only because of Rutherfords decision of signing miller before horvat what other criteria would he have used.? I’m sure he didn’t limit his decision based off solely 4 years here ,wouldn’t have been his total point history. Because it doesn’t look like either but more so last seasons 99 points. 

I think it's more than just "points" considered and evaluations factor in a lot of things. Physicality would definitely be one of them...which is why the hits are important (too).

JT wasn't getting the offers that they had set a bar at and that mattered.

Anyhow, good chat. I'm on the other side of the fence on this although I don't want Bo gone (at all). They can figure it out...I'm just glad JT's here because, without him, this team IS a lot softer.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Maybe JR tested the market for both players and found Bo had the better trade value?  So he extended Miller at a good cap cost for us and will trade Bo for much needed help in other positions.  Just guessing, of course.  

Even if Horvat had the better trade value, re-signing Miller for that reason is a poor one. Horvat has something that most, if not all UFA agents, can't really do.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Rick Blight said:

I hear ya but I think poor results has to be more defined, when does it trigger the rebuild and what is the rebuild duration and strategy. Do we want to rebuild like an Arizona or Buffalo where star players are routinely traded away? Would people think our rebuild should include Petey and Hughes along with Horvat and Miller?

I just think it is a lot more complex than some of us fans think.

I think, Bo has been here 8 years we have drafted decent all be it not fantastic during these 8 years, but it all seems a bit stale now...

No cap space to improve it, and a lack of defending as a team.

I would be happy if we could just trade the usual suspects like Brock, Garland, Pearson or Myers, and get picks and prospects back, but I don't see this bringing us much back, and I think Stawns is spot on, suggesting that all these players will do, is a swap for other players and cap coming back, so don't see us improving much by shifting these players. 

We can then have players let their contracts run down, but that doesn't help rebuild the rebuild, except for cap space.

The main issue with all this is, our young stars just get older and older and..... and the advantages of cheap contracts vanish...

I have changed my stance on this totally this season.

Think I expected far more from this squad at the beginning of the season. And the fact JR/PA said one thing and seem to be doing another, has also made me think enough is enough...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

57 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

I appreciate your opinion but there's also something more to consider...physicality. Matters (at least to me). Our team has been flagged as easy to play against and it's important to change that. Schenn and Miller lead the way in that.

Don't get me wrong, I want to keep JT and Bo but hit stats are quite different between the two:

JT over the past 4 years: 55-172-90-124 for a total of 440

Bo over the past 4 years: 16-96-64-66 for a total of 231

Faceoffs also matter and we know Bo gives us the best in that department.

But it's more than meets the eye....losing JT's physical edge would set us back again and we'd likely be much easier to play against. People don't really factor that part in as much as they should. They see JT with lazy plays and think he's lazy but a guy crashing and banging out there is pretty much not.

GP also matters.

crashing and banging in the offensive zone =/= crashing and banging in the defensive zone.. ya JT works hard when he's on offence.. he doesn't do any of that when he's on defence.. crashing and banging in the offensive zone leads to more chances and points = bigger contract.. crashing and banging in the defensive zone doesn't get you points and doesn't affect ur contract as much which pretty much sums up miller's play in the offensive zone vs defensive zone.

• Like 1

Good win.

And, yes we will sign Bo.

I think this slow moving brass at least sees that having 3 guys, Bo, JT and EP, that can play top6 centre roles is a strong situtation. One that is an envy of most teams as it is very hard to aquire.

In for a fun ride. 

Hope Brock finds a good home, that is a good kid right there. 

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

He did admit to not getting any interest in a move for defence for miller. With that it doesn’t jive with the term he gave Miller with inability to move him ? Which at that point should have made him look at horvat a little closer ???

5 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

crashing and banging in the offensive zone =/= crashing and banging in the defensive zone.. ya JT works hard when he's on offence.. he doesn't do any of that when he's on defence.. crashing and banging in the offensive zone leads to more chances and points = bigger contract.. crashing and banging in the defensive zone doesn't get you points and doesn't affect ur contract as much which pretty much sums up miller's play in the offensive zone vs defensive zone.

I see him trying to use positioning more on defense (he likes to intercept pucks) but I can't deny it's more of an offensive physicality.

I mean, he got his contract and he's still doing it so not sure why that's mentioned? If it was just to cash in he could ease up, but he hasn't. And our team needs players who'll be physical. Period. For whatever reason.

It's just that he's more offensively minded and he's pretty good offensively. So not sure we can fault him for that. Yes, he definitely needs to work on his defensive side of things, can't dispute that. Most of our players fit into that category right now. (Not you, Petey).

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Good win.

And, yes we will sign Bo.

I think this slow moving brass at least sees that having 3 guys, Bo, JT and EP, that can play top6 centre rolls is a strong situtation. One that is an envy of most teams as it is very hard to aquire.

In for a fun ride. 

Hope Brock finds a good home, that is a good kid right there. 

2 guys that can play top 6 center- Bo and E.P.

J.T. is a winger now, as his face off stats- while better than E.P's are not great and his defense is suspect at best.

E.P., while very poor at face offs, balances that out with being a very good defensive player.

And Bo is likely leaving the team.

Presto- we lack depth at center.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Gurn said:

2 guys that can play top 6 center- Bo and E.P.

J.T. is a winger now, as his face off stats- while better than E.P's are not great and his defense is suspect at best.

E.P., while very poor at face offs, balances that out with being a very good defensive player.

And Bo is likely leaving the team.

Presto- we lack depth at center.

Ep and JT both can play wing and both can play centre. Great options to have.

They would be daft to let Bo go.

Edited by bishopshodan
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Safe to say the team probably isn't going on any sellout streaks anytime soon. 

The weather also factors in as people were trapped in that nightmare after the Tuesday night game and sat for HOURS on the highways.

Plus, with Christmas on the horizon many are budgeting for that.

Sure, some will drop away but this fanbase is pretty solid. It's not like we haven't been through adversity before....we still love hockey here.

• Cheers 2