The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 03, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 hours ago, DeNiro said:

There are no moves to be made to improve this team right now otherwise they would have happened.

Just try and enjoy the wins when we get them. Who knows when it’s the last time we see this group together.

Totally.    Trade Horvat, don't trade Horvat... Brock scoring a goal the first time in his career he's been a healthy scratch, on a date he circled on the schedule for his Dad Duke, then getting the call to play (Bruce is cold man - that's some tough love - not that some of these guys couldn't use some of that) and watching them celebrate for him was pretty cool.   And the warm-up honouring his Dad.      I agree with this.   Until there is a move that makes sense for the future - this is the team we've got.   Might as well just enjoy EP... QHs and Horvats goal scoring.   And things like this.  

Edit:  For all of flak Brocks got, deserved or otherwise,  if he has a typical Brock season (career average) he should sneak into the top 25 in all-time scoring passing Mogilny, Lumme and Kearns this year (if he's not traded).   If he finishes his contract with us pass Burrows.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

FjHaliuX0AAnwcV?format=jpg&name=large

Those are some Canuck legends right there... the fact he could pass Lumme before the New Year and probably Edler this year is something.    By the time his deals up, QHs will own all the assist and point records for us.   And that beard he's been trying to grow since his rookie season is starting to look pretty good lol.   His shot might not go in, but man he's good at setting up rebounds and tip ins. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Devron said:

Oh I’m fully prepared for it. Do I agree with it? no, but they already picked their guy 

Spot on amigo.... they made their bed.

For better or worse. Only positive is, the way he is playing, he should bring a decent haul at TDL... Especially with $ retained...

Don't want to see him go, but this team needs a serious clear out. 

If we wanna go places, we shouldn't be celebrating the joy of beating at team of craps in OT...

ATM we are heading for a 10-16 draft pick again... what the point in this?

Time to do something drastic....

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 hours ago, Darius said:

I had my gripes with the Benning crew but what I’ve seen from JR and crew is disappointing so far.  Bruce is a good man and no matter what happens I’ll always view him in a positive light. They threw him under the bus, and it was no fair. Last year of a contract and he gets criticized by the president  via the media early on . Keep that shit behind closed doors.  Not only that, how do the players read the situation when the they hear the president trashing the coach via the media.  Just amateur crap. 

Again, Benning threw young prospects under the bus and you complain about an old coach getting some needed advice?!?

Here fans throw management under the bus for the decision to not play Boeser this special night when BB clearly say he is the reason.

What is going on here?

Who is orchestering this storm of negativity against management and why?

Edited by Timråfan

3 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Yep.

Brock didn’t appreciate being hounded by reporters about trade rumours on a night that clearly meant a lot to him. Completely stole the spotlight away from what should have been about his dad. 

It's Friedman's job to report what's going on in the league.

It's not his fault reporters post game brought it up to Boeser knowing he was going to give a "no comment" answer 

• Cheers 4

6 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If we tear down a bit there's no point in keeping Miller and Horvat probably walks anyway not wanting to stick around. 

Unless by some miracle we are a top team in this conference the final 40 games of the season like last year - we simply can't take the risk of Horvat walking.      Even then unless we can fix our defense,  at least one solid top four D like Quin managed with Brown (Hedican too but he was still green at the time), don't see any other choice but to trade him at the deadline.    Really Allvin should be letting all GMs know on the sly, that Brock, Garland, Myers, Miller and Horvat are on the market and accepting offers on any of them right now.  

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

We are a franchise filled with bad looks :unsure:

Not really...

Feel sorry for Brock, of course, but....

Bruce job is to win hockey games... that's what he is paid for. 
Brock has been in a slump, or at least not playing the style of hockey that suits the team. 

Its another season, where slow to no start had buggered the season. 

As it turned out Bruce was not aware of it being Hockey Fight Cancer night and put him in again. 

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Hughes is one of the pieces that should garner a huge return. I'm ok with holding on to Schenn and Bear.

The Canucks have to look at everything.

Tbh everybody should be in play for the right price, although Petey would be a loss, but if the offer is big....

As long as the rest of the top goes as well...

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Baby steps with this team.

Like with every win and loss it’s what you do in the next game that’s telling.

We’ll see if they have a better showing against the Habs. 

Truth is - our schedule softens up significantly between now and the new year.

if we ever wanted to make some baby steps, now is the time

6 hours ago, BC_Hawk said:

I do like the Bear acquisition….just question the timing. Given he was the odd man out in Carolina based on guys play to end last year, why didn’t we go after him sooner? When Carolina got eliminated? July? August? Why wait until the team confidence is in the tank and you wasted a bunch of picks on plugs. Just doesn’t make sense….much like letting Brad Shaw leave in summer.

IF you acquire Bear in summer, replace coaching staff with guys that coach ur system, make a big splash for a RHD using Beoser cash…..my money is on this team looking pretty good right now.

I thought Shaw left for Philly to be closer to home? I didn't think he was let go. 

8 hours ago, GB5 said:

I would...  Bo, Petey, Hughes and maybe Miller can stay.

Everyone else are on for business.

Bo, Petey, Hughes, Demko are the only untouchables on this team. I'd trade Miller ASAP.  Only caveat is I would 100% not dump anymore close to complete contracts with sweetners tied to them. Just suffer through it until the team is free.

This is pretty much the team right now, struggling to beat the Coyotes.  Someone should tell Miller he sucks at passing so he stops trying to thread the needle across the ice.

Still need a much more consistent effort from everyone not named Horvat or Pettersson.  Our defense minus Hughes needs to be told to KISS.  Right now this team needs to go to the Mighty Ducks 3 school of hockey, clear the garbage, no 2nd chances and STOP pinching if the only person behind you is the facking goalie.

7 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

It seems Brock got the message Bruce was trying to send. Best game he’s played in a long time. I’m very happy for him. Hopefully he starts playing this way consistently, I’d love to see him regain his form as a 30 goal scorer. I feel terrible for Boeser personally given the evils of cancer he’s faced, his impressive character off ice and I want him to succeed on our team, but we can’t afford to play people just because of their personal struggles or added meaning for certain games. We need to ice the best team possible, only taking into consideration on ice performance.

That’s just how it has to be if you want to win games in any professional sports leagues. The best performers get to play. That sounds cold and heartless and I hate him feeling hurt by that decision given how much of an emotional beating he’s already had in his young life, but that’s just the way it goes in the NHL. Your performance is the only thing that matters for decisions on who plays.

Regardless I hope he finds success here or if he’s traded, then elsewhere as he’s a really good guy who’s easy to root for.

7 hours ago, J-23 said:

Eh…Bruce has been in this situation before. Management told him to scratch Selanne or something like that. Selanne stopped talking to Bruce and even called him out lol.

Coaches will always take the fall

Yeah, heard about that story.  Bruce said he cleared it with him yrs later and they are OK now. 

Here is the story after he released his book slamming Bruce. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/ducks-coach-bruce-boudreau-disappointed-by-selanne-book-criticism-but-understands-frustration/c-730962

Edited by Jaimito
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Unless by some miracle we are a top team in this conference the final 40 games of the season like last year - we simply can't take the risk of Horvat walking.      Even then unless we can fix our defense,  at least one solid top four D like Quin managed with Brown (Hedican too but he was still green at the time), don't see any other choice but to trade him at the deadline.    Really Allvin should be letting all GMs know on the sly, that Brock, Garland, Myers, Miller and Horvat are on the market and accepting offers on any of them right now.  

It is tough to contemplate moving on from players who have played here for awhile. I temper that concern by realizing that developing a serious contender is the prime directive. Players have to realize that, I'm sure they do. Vancouver has serious problems on the d-side of the game. One of the worst goals against in the NHL. Fans are pointing fingers at Demko as the main reason but is far from the reason. I loved the T Bay Cooper interview on HNIC last night. Their tender was struggling so his team mates out front re-structured their game to provide him with the time to collect his game. That doesn't happen much with Vancouver. Is that coaching? Is that players? Even when this team were leading in games going into the 3rd players took high risk plays in their own d-zone. In the Washington game the Cap players deliberately bumped Martin 3X without much pushback. 

IMHO any fan who does not see the need for major change are kidding themselves. If in fact the Canucks are allowing Boeser's agent to shop him then the process has begun. In actual fact no player can be sacred to the end goal of serious CUP contention. If nothing else the Calgary experience of having Gudreau and Tkachuk bail on their team should be a serious wakeup call for Vancouver. Canada is not an easy place to play NHL hockey and the financial cost of doing so is usually negative.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1