The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Arizona Coyotes at Vancouver Canucks | Dec. 03, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

8 hours ago, Mustard Tiger said:

We are a franchise filled with bad looks :unsure:

Not really...

Feel sorry for Brock, of course, but....

Bruce job is to win hockey games... that's what he is paid for. 
Brock has been in a slump, or at least not playing the style of hockey that suits the team. 

Its another season, where slow to no start had buggered the season. 

As it turned out Bruce was not aware of it being Hockey Fight Cancer night and put him in again. 

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Hughes is one of the pieces that should garner a huge return. I'm ok with holding on to Schenn and Bear.

The Canucks have to look at everything.

Tbh everybody should be in play for the right price, although Petey would be a loss, but if the offer is big....

As long as the rest of the top goes as well...

7 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Baby steps with this team.

Like with every win and loss it’s what you do in the next game that’s telling.

We’ll see if they have a better showing against the Habs. 

Truth is - our schedule softens up significantly between now and the new year.

if we ever wanted to make some baby steps, now is the time

6 hours ago, BC_Hawk said:

I do like the Bear acquisition….just question the timing. Given he was the odd man out in Carolina based on guys play to end last year, why didn’t we go after him sooner? When Carolina got eliminated? July? August? Why wait until the team confidence is in the tank and you wasted a bunch of picks on plugs. Just doesn’t make sense….much like letting Brad Shaw leave in summer.

IF you acquire Bear in summer, replace coaching staff with guys that coach ur system, make a big splash for a RHD using Beoser cash…..my money is on this team looking pretty good right now.

I thought Shaw left for Philly to be closer to home? I didn't think he was let go. 

8 hours ago, GB5 said:

I would...  Bo, Petey, Hughes and maybe Miller can stay.

Everyone else are on for business.

Bo, Petey, Hughes, Demko are the only untouchables on this team. I'd trade Miller ASAP.  Only caveat is I would 100% not dump anymore close to complete contracts with sweetners tied to them. Just suffer through it until the team is free.

This is pretty much the team right now, struggling to beat the Coyotes.  Someone should tell Miller he sucks at passing so he stops trying to thread the needle across the ice.

Still need a much more consistent effort from everyone not named Horvat or Pettersson.  Our defense minus Hughes needs to be told to KISS.  Right now this team needs to go to the Mighty Ducks 3 school of hockey, clear the garbage, no 2nd chances and STOP pinching if the only person behind you is the facking goalie.

7 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

It seems Brock got the message Bruce was trying to send. Best game he’s played in a long time. I’m very happy for him. Hopefully he starts playing this way consistently, I’d love to see him regain his form as a 30 goal scorer. I feel terrible for Boeser personally given the evils of cancer he’s faced, his impressive character off ice and I want him to succeed on our team, but we can’t afford to play people just because of their personal struggles or added meaning for certain games. We need to ice the best team possible, only taking into consideration on ice performance.

That’s just how it has to be if you want to win games in any professional sports leagues. The best performers get to play. That sounds cold and heartless and I hate him feeling hurt by that decision given how much of an emotional beating he’s already had in his young life, but that’s just the way it goes in the NHL. Your performance is the only thing that matters for decisions on who plays.

Regardless I hope he finds success here or if he’s traded, then elsewhere as he’s a really good guy who’s easy to root for.

7 hours ago, J-23 said:

Eh…Bruce has been in this situation before. Management told him to scratch Selanne or something like that. Selanne stopped talking to Bruce and even called him out lol.

Coaches will always take the fall

Yeah, heard about that story.  Bruce said he cleared it with him yrs later and they are OK now. 

Here is the story after he released his book slamming Bruce. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/ducks-coach-bruce-boudreau-disappointed-by-selanne-book-criticism-but-understands-frustration/c-730962

Edited by Jaimito
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Unless by some miracle we are a top team in this conference the final 40 games of the season like last year - we simply can't take the risk of Horvat walking.      Even then unless we can fix our defense,  at least one solid top four D like Quin managed with Brown (Hedican too but he was still green at the time), don't see any other choice but to trade him at the deadline.    Really Allvin should be letting all GMs know on the sly, that Brock, Garland, Myers, Miller and Horvat are on the market and accepting offers on any of them right now.  

It is tough to contemplate moving on from players who have played here for awhile. I temper that concern by realizing that developing a serious contender is the prime directive. Players have to realize that, I'm sure they do. Vancouver has serious problems on the d-side of the game. One of the worst goals against in the NHL. Fans are pointing fingers at Demko as the main reason but is far from the reason. I loved the T Bay Cooper interview on HNIC last night. Their tender was struggling so his team mates out front re-structured their game to provide him with the time to collect his game. That doesn't happen much with Vancouver. Is that coaching? Is that players? Even when this team were leading in games going into the 3rd players took high risk plays in their own d-zone. In the Washington game the Cap players deliberately bumped Martin 3X without much pushback. 

IMHO any fan who does not see the need for major change are kidding themselves. If in fact the Canucks are allowing Boeser's agent to shop him then the process has begun. In actual fact no player can be sacred to the end goal of serious CUP contention. If nothing else the Calgary experience of having Gudreau and Tkachuk bail on their team should be a serious wakeup call for Vancouver. Canada is not an easy place to play NHL hockey and the financial cost of doing so is usually negative.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Not really...

Feel sorry for Brock, of course, but....

Bruce job is to win hockey games... that's what he is paid for. 
Brock has been in a slump, or at least not playing the style of hockey that suits the team. 

Its another season, where slow to no start had buggered the season. 

As it turned out Bruce was not aware of it being Hockey Fight Cancer night and put him in again. 

Brock has been in a slump for a few years now.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Hughes is one of the pieces that should garner a huge return. I'm ok with holding on to Schenn and Bear.

The Canucks have to look at everything.

I've been saying for awhile that to truly turn the ship around, they need a lopsided trade where one player goes out and mulfiple good players come back.  Hughes to NJ accomplishes that.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

20 minutes ago, stawns said:

I've been saying for awhile that to truly turn the ship around, they need a lopsided trade where one player goes out and mulfiple good players come back.  Hughes to NJ accomplishes that.

Or just do a patient rebuild and stock up on good players.

Horvat should get us some young prospects back. Draft well this year and the next couple of years.

This team needs some high end prospects to right the ship. Petey is good but not enough. We need one more guy to take on the scoring.

I think Hughes' defensive miscues are fixable. His ability with the puck is not something that can be taught.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

It is tough to contemplate moving on from players who have played here for awhile. I temper that concern by realizing that developing a serious contender is the prime directive. Players have to realize that, I'm sure they do. Vancouver has serious problems on the d-side of the game. One of the worst goals against in the NHL. Fans are pointing fingers at Demko as the main reason but is far from the reason. I loved the T Bay Cooper interview on HNIC last night. Their tender was struggling so his team mates out front re-structured their game to provide him with the time to collect his game. That doesn't happen much with Vancouver. Is that coaching? Is that players? Even when this team were leading in games going into the 3rd players took high risk plays in their own d-zone. In the Washington game the Cap players deliberately bumped Martin 3X without much pushback. 

IMHO any fan who does not see the need for major change are kidding themselves. If in fact the Canucks are allowing Boeser's agent to shop him then the process has begun. In actual fact no player can be sacred to the end goal of serious CUP contention. If nothing else the Calgary experience of having Gudreau and Tkachuk bail on their team should be a serious wakeup call for Vancouver. Canada is not an easy place to play NHL hockey and the financial cost of doing so is usually negative.  

Very well said.   US player examples but if the shoe fits.    Which it does.   Canucks need to do what Quin did to a certain degree, which is bring in some BC good old Canadian boys.    Guys that have more of a vested interest.   Adams, Ronning, Courtnall ... even Dirk.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

Was nice to see Boeser come up clutch for the team and tie it up in the 3rd to force OT. He could have scored 2 or 3 times last night. Arizona seemed to want to give the game away with all the bad penalties they took and our PP did just enough to help us pull off the victory and get the 2 points!

4 minutes ago, jyu said:

Or just do a patient rebuild and stock up on good players.

Horvat should get us some young prospects back. Draft well this year and the next couple of years.

This team needs some high end prospects to right the ship. Petey is good but not enough. We need one more guy to take on the scoring.

I think Hughes' defensive miscues are fixable. His ability with the puck is not something that can be taught.

Aside from Hughes, they don't have anyone who is going to bring in prospects.  They'll most likely be getting roster players and salary back in every deal.

Unless Hoevat wants out, I think they'll find a way to keep him, preferably by shipping miller out

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

51 minutes ago, chon derry said:

Jr hastily evaluated miller’s 99 pt season while overlooking horvats consistent record. That decision doesn’t take into account horvats proven loyalty. Another stupid hasty move. 

SO paying a player who was ppg for 3 years since arriving in Vancouver doesn't warrant 8m but a guy with one 60pt season deserves to be paid the same or more? I get the Canucks probably should have tried to sign Horvat first but is it really a surprise to fans to see the Canucks seemingly do a poor job managing their assets...not to me been a trend here for years, never liked the President and GM they hired and so far looks to be a bad choice. They could have made a trade to get a rhd like Marino but chose not too and now have a glut of wingers with big salaries no team is in a hurry to help us offload for fair value.

With the Canucks, it is what it is and we as fans cheer for them every game they play and hope eventually we will make better choices with the roster

• There it is 1

8 minutes ago, Neutral said:

SO paying a player who was ppg for 3 years since arriving in Vancouver doesn't warrant 8m but a guy with one 60pt season deserves to be paid the same or more? I get the Canucks probably should have tried to sign Horvat first but is it really a surprise to fans to see the Canucks seemingly do a poor job managing their assets...not to me been a trend here for years, never liked the President and GM they hired and so far looks to be a bad choice. They could have made a trade to get a rhd like Marino but chose not too and now have a glut of wingers with big salaries no team is in a hurry to help us offload for fair value.

With the Canucks, it is what it is and we as fans cheer for them every game they play and hope eventually we will make better choices with the roster

Lol at the end of the day miller had 1 99 point season and got paid for that.. if you are going to say he’s a ppg player during shorten season then I’ll say Horvat is on pace for close to 30 goals every season over 82 games. Pretty consistent if u ask me. Anyone that isn’t a homer or blind saw red flags with millers defensive game and him as a permanent center. I’ve ripped him all the time prior to him signing about his defensive plays his positioning his commitment to defence. They all reared their ugly head this season to the point they take him off center even though we suck on faceoff.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

7 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

He does deserve better. He’s being played 13 mins a night (surplus of scoring wingers). Not sure how much more we expect from him on that limited deployment. 

What are you talking about man!? He is playing terrible and has worked his way down the line up all on his own.

Yeah we as fans shouldn't say anything negative about players. We should just be happy with mediocre play, terrible defending, no aggression, weak along the boards, doing complete fly bys. How dare we say anything! Lol

As a human being I'm sure he is a great guy, but his play is seriously lacking. Can't just hand out a bunch of participation awards and expect to win anything.