The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks Getting Calls on Luke Schenn

Warhippy

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

He's playing 17 mins a night in TO and is a +24.  I also think it gives TO a little cap leeway next season as well.

Again, maybe Dubas doesn't do it but that would be my target.  Then if look at lesser targets like Foote, though he'd be further down my list.

The Leafs get by with an average D core because of superior forwards who dominate puck possession.

I really doubt Liljegren would be the same player here. He’s gonna get exposed badly in the playoffs if they play him in their top 4.

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The Leafs get by with an average D core because of superior forwards who dominate puck possession.

I really doubt Liljegren would be the same player here. He’s gonna get exposed badly in the playoffs if they play him in their top 4.

I agree there, they do.......which also means they might be willing to sell on a guy like TL

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t agree at all.

Sometimes players get buried especially on deep teams like Tampa. 

That’s like saying Miller could never be a top 6 player cause he couldn’t crack the top 6 in Tampa.

Correct. Just because his father coached him growing up doesn’t mean he has or will stop learning from him and the others. He’s also on a deep Tampa Bay team which has resulted in him not getting the playing time needed to help with his development.

I wouldn’t give up on him and say he’s destined to be a number 7 D. Let’s also remember that defensemen do take a bit longer to develop. 

• There it is 1

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

I agree there, they do.......which also means they might be willing to sell on a guy like TL

I see you really pulling for Liljigren Stawns. I don't like the player, and I don't see the fit here. I'd rather keep Bear. We need more defensive minded D not more smaller Dmen who struggle in their own zone. 

11 minutes ago, mozzeye said:

I wonder if the Leafs would be interested in a Schenn + Demko style deal with Murray hurt and Muzzin out forever. It would cause some chaos for them in the offseason but if they really are going for it?

They don’t have the pieces needed to land Demko, IMO

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, rekker said:

I see you really pulling for Liljigren Stawns. I don't like the player, and I don't see the fit here. I'd rather keep Bear. We need more defensive minded D not more smaller Dmen who struggle in their own zone. 

What don't you like about him?  Former first round pick, 23, decent size (6'0, 190), rd, worked hard on the AHL to become a more complete damn and did it well.  He's far more defensive minded than Bear is and a far better player.

Im not saying Dubas would move him for Schenn, but that'd be the line I drew for Dubas.

Edited by stawns
  • Cheers 1

I am not saying he is a #1 Dman or anything like that, but Schenn is 28th in scoring for all RHD in the league and tied for 19th in plus minus........

That is a good season, and when you consider his cap hit could be as low as $127,500 if traded today with 50% retention, which would be easy to swallow

Especially with playoff experience and size....................I think Schenn has value of a B prospect and a late 2nd................or

Schenn + a 3rd for a late 1st?...........that is the value I think he is worth..........most  likely wishful thinking, but one could hope!! (and pray!)

It will be a B prospect and a 2nd..................contenders do not like giving up anyone off the roster, even depth guys! So, I don't think it is Foote

• Like 1

Just now, stawns said:

What don't you like about him?  Former first round pick, 23, decent size, rd, worked hard on the AHL to become a more complete damn and did it well.  He's far more defensive minded than Bear is and a far better player.

Im not saying Dubas would move him for Schenn, but that'd be the line I drew for Dubas.

TL is not good in his own end. He does ok in TO because that team spends a lot of time in the Ozone. He's terrible on the boards and gets all the minutes he gets because TO has little for options. Bear is the better of the two imho.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1
  • There it is 1

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

TL is not good in his own end. He does ok in TO because that team spends a lot of time in the Ozone. He's terrible on the boards and gets all the minutes he gets because TO has little for options. Bear is the better of the two imho.

Where do you get that from though?  The games I watch, he looks solid and my hard core leafs buddy loves him.

Also, you're trading Luke schenn, not a top 4 dman.......you're not going to get a top dman back.

Edited by stawns
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

Where do you get that from though?  The games I watch, he looks solid and my hard core leafs buddy loves him.

Those are my observations from the TO games I've watched. Leafs fans are gaga over any of their own players by the way, lol. I remember when Holl was the second coming as well. Wait till playoffs, one of us can do a, I told you so.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, rekker said:

Those are my observations from the TO games I've watched. Leafs fans are gaga over any of their own players by the way, lol. I remember when Holl was the second coming as well. Wait till playoffs, one of us can do a, I told you so.

Just a different way of assessing players.  I'd take him for schenn and over Bear any day of the week.

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Liljegren no but Sandin would. I don’t see Liljegren as a good target though. I see him on the same level as Bear and Dermott.

If you can get Sandin for Schenn and Rathbone of course you do it. I’m not sure even Dubas is that desperate though.

I agree. Enough with crap 6/7 dmen. They're completely redundant for us. We have 10 of them. Give us a pick we can use on someone who at least gives us a small chance of actually turning out.

9 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I agree. Enough with crap 6/7 dmen. They're completely redundant for us. We have 10 of them. Give us a pick we can use on someone who at least gives us a small chance of actually turning out.

And I think he'll probably be a #4-5 in a year or two and possibly solid top 4 in 2-3.  He's still just a kid.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

a still-young first round pick with an unspectacular but tangible nhl resume is far more likely to turn into a good player than an undrafted mid-round pick with no nhl resume.