The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour). Jake Livingstone D - NCAA - NHL Availability

SilentSam

1 hour ago, Shayster007 said:

You think? I agree we have a couple assets we can and should move. IMO Horvat, Schenn, Kuzmenko ans Burroughs should all be traded no questions asked. Boeser, Miller, and Garland should be attempted to be moved.

But I don't agree with the prospect pool at all. I'd argue it's one of the worst in the league, definately bottom 10, likely bottom 5. 

We need some free assets in college or European signings in the worst kinda way.

Agree with all of this except for Kuzmenko.  Unless his price is out of this world, I don't think we would get the return that makes it worthwhile.  He is at the upper part of the age group we should be building around, but his skill and determination is the type of thing we need especially paired with Petey.  Horvat is just outside of this age group, his contract demands won't make sense based on his career year (Always a warning), and he should get us a very healthy return as the key piece on acquiring young players and picks.

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

I think the top end of our prospect pool in terms of top pairing defence and top 6 forwards is weak but there are probably more depth guys on d than we’ve had forever in (filip Johansen and d Petey while guys like truscott, woo, and jurmo profile as potential bottom pairing potential). Up front podkolzin, Hoglander and klimovich all have middle 6 potential.  If we can backfill a really strong d in a horvat trade and draft one of the top centers team can backfill some of the weak points and move forward.

Agreed on the depth of the prospect pool.  Trades (Mostly Bo) will be the way to get a couple key prospects at the upper end of the depth pool.  I have a strong feeling that Johansen, D Petey, Hoglander, Klimovich and Podkolzin will all be regulars in the lineup, which is a good situation to be in, but we need more, especially at top 4 RD and middle six C.  This is exactly why I want Jesperi Kotkaniemi (Future 2C but bottomed out as a 3C), Scott Morrow (top 4 RD) and a 1st (BPA for C/RD) as our return for Horvat.

Livingstone, just gives us another boost on RD potential, because someone is bound to emerge.

Edited by Kobayashi Maru
  • Cheers 3

23 hours ago, flat land fish said:

I think the top end of our prospect pool in terms of top pairing defence and top 6 forwards is weak but there are probably more depth guys on d than we’ve had forever in (filip Johansen and d Petey while guys like truscott, woo, and jurmo profile as potential bottom pairing potential). Up front podkolzin, Hoglander and klimovich all have middle 6 potential.  If we can backfill a really strong d in a horvat trade and draft one of the top centers team can backfill some of the weak points and move forward.

I agree with your assessment but think it's great that we do have some of the players you mentioned actually also still have the ability to be top end forwards.

Another prospect that exites me is McDonough who as a power forward the can really score and could easily end up being a poor man's Draisaitl as he shows similar skills to go with good size and confidence.

On 1/21/2023 at 9:34 AM, Podkolzins Snipe said:

I agree with your assessment but think it's great that we do have some of the players you mentioned actually also still have the ability to be top end forwards.

Another prospect that exites me is McDonough who as a power forward the can really score and could easily end up being a poor man's Draisaitl as he shows similar skills to go with good size and confidence.

McDonough is 23 years old. At that age, Draisaitl scored 105 points in the NHL.

Just another example of Vancouver fans overvaluing their prospects. The reality is that the Canucks prospect pool by most experts is ranked bottom 5 in the league. The Canucks needed to trade Miller, Horvat and Kuz in addition to landing the likes of Livingston to restock the cupboards and be competitive in the future.

On 1/20/2023 at 8:48 AM, Shayster007 said:

But I don't agree with the prospect pool at all. I'd argue it's one of the worst in the league, definately bottom 10, likely bottom 5. 

When has our prospect pool ever been top 5 in the league? 

7 minutes ago, Lumme21 said:

Just another example of Vancouver fans overvaluing their prospects. The reality is that the Canucks prospect pool by most experts is ranked bottom 5 in the league. The Canucks needed to trade Miller, Horvat and Kuz in addition to landing the likes of Livingston to restock the cupboards and be competitive in the future.

Yeah, I'm not expecting a ton out of McDonough. But he's a free prospect, and who knows, maybe he's a late bloomer. Can't compare the guy to Drai, Drai is NHL superstar. If McDonough can be a legit 3rd line player, that's a huge win. And if he can kill penalties and produce a little offense, that's great. We have a middle six to bottom six winger. Every team needs players like that. 

24 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Probably never? Not as long as I can remember that's for sure. Not sure why you're asking me that though, I think our prospect pool is bottom 5, not top 5.

I'm just curious, because I too have never remembered our prospect pool being top 5 ever in the entire existence of the team in the league. 

It's just been bad forever. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, N4ZZY said:

I'm just curious, because I too have never remembered our prospect pool being top 5 ever in the entire existence of the team in the league. 

Believe it or not our prospect pool was rated #3 as recently as 2019 and #4 in 2020 in the Hockey News Future Watch edition.  

Edited by Captain Canuck #12
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Lumme21 said:

Time will tell. Not saying McDonough will come anywhere near that point total, but he's spent his time in the NCAA without McDavid. 

And it's not overvaluing a prospect, it's a possibility because he's been doing quite well. 

Let's hope he can transition that skillset to the NHL. 

9 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

It's been rated pretty high for awhile and even after the young guys in the NHl, the young guys in the AHL are looking good

I feel like Jake's coming here. 

Tanev is a great story out of Rochester institute that signed for the canucks and had a legit opportunity. 

This group is terrible on the RD. 

If he is the real deal, he would probably come straight in to top 6 and even have a shot at 4D after next season once Myers leaves. 

We basically have no top 4 RD after Schenn gets traded and Myers leaves next year. 

Plus he's a BC boy. 

If it was me, knowing I'd have a legitimate chance to go straight into the top 6 and even might become a pairing with Hughes would be a no brainer. 

Luke fricking Schenn is putting up career numbers playing with Hughes. 

Worst case scenario for Jake is cash in after his ELC. 

• Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, HKSR said:

A lot of the top tier prospects graduated to the big league, and remember we had 3 Calder candidates in a row...

The Athletic had us #2 even as recent as 2018-19:  https://theathletic.com/459786/2018/08/30/pronman-2018-19-nhl-farm-system-rankings/

Sporting News #3:  https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl/news/nhl-top-prospects-best-worst-farm-system-draft-history-sabres-flyers-canucks-penguins/tn8fb6mqnial16bxvtds5dacu

I mean, what do you get when Elias Pettersson, Quinn Hughes, and Thatcher Demko all graduate to the big club in a matter of 2 years?  lol

It was never a sustainable prospect pool. The second big names graduated we didn't drop a spot or 5, we dropped half way down the list. This has been an incredibly weak prospect pool for a long time.

Proof is in the pudding. Petey, Hughes, and Demko are the leaders of this team. And it's absolutely terrible because not one other prospect hit in on that list.

Edited by Shayster007

9 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

It was never a sustainable prospect pool. The second big names graduated we didn't drop a spot or 5, we dropped half way down the list. This has been an incredibly weak prospect pool for a long time.

Proof is in the pudding. Petey, Hughes, and Demko are the leaders of this team. And it's absolutely terrible because not one other prospect hit in on that list.

Yet the young guys in Abby are playing great

• Like 1

Just now, Shayster007 said:

Clearly it wasn't an incredibly weak pool for a couple years there because we actually kept our picks, but you can convince yourself it was.

It's normal that teams go through cycles of having top prospect pools, and then fall back down once their top talent graduates and helps the team climb out of the basement. 

The reason why the Canucks are so low in the standings is because they buggered things up for themselves and traded 1st round draft picks not once, but twice in a span of 3 years.  Those players turned out to be Dylan Gunther and Shakir Mukhamadullin.  Add those 2 to the prospect pool and I guarantee we wouldn't be near the bottom of the list.  On top of that, moving out two 2nd round draft picks don't help either.  Count them... 4 key picks handed out (two 1sts and two 2nds).  That's 4 top prospects we're missing in the pipeline. 

Key takeaway here for management would be to stop trading 1st and 2nd round picks away!  Oh too late... 2024 2nd rounder... GONE.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Yet the young guys in Abby are playing great

And which of those players who are leading that team have a realistic chance of making a difference on the Canucks? Pod, Hog, and maybe Klimovich and Karlsson? A bunch of wingers.

Our top 2 D prospects is Rathbone and Woo seemed to have stalled. A year ago I thought Rathbone was a sure in for the NHL, but we really seemed to blunder his development, mixed with bad luck injuries. 

The baby Canucks are having a good season, but I'm not looking at that roster and thinking reinforcement are coming that are going to save this team.