The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumour). Jake Livingstone D - NCAA - NHL Availability

SilentSam

57 minutes ago, mll said:

Daniel Wagner in Vancouver is Awesome a year ago:

Finally, Livingstone has a lot of attention from NHL teams, so the Canucks could have a lot of competition for his services if they’re interested in signing him. Of course, the local connection and the lack of depth on the right side of their defence could both be pretty big selling points.

Or maybe the local connection won’t help. In his interview with Halford and Brough, he admitted to being a Calgary Flames fan growing up

They’ve got tanev and Andersson good luck getting a good opportunity with them in the top four.

even if that’s true 

I mean opportunity to play top 4 here, play with Quinn Hughes an absolute demon probably will be greater than any other tram

Can provide. 

2 hours ago, mll said:

Daniel Wagner in Vancouver is Awesome a year ago:

Finally, Livingstone has a lot of attention from NHL teams, so the Canucks could have a lot of competition for his services if they’re interested in signing him. Of course, the local connection and the lack of depth on the right side of their defence could both be pretty big selling points.

Or maybe the local connection won’t help. In his interview with Halford and Brough, he admitted to being a Calgary Flames fan growing up

If he wants to be a flame he should do it like everyone else... play for the Canucks first and then head on over!!!

• Haha 3
  • There it is 1

On 2/17/2023 at 8:11 PM, Jester13 said:

I'd say you might be discounting the distaste for playing on a losing team that's one of the worst teams in the league and with so much drama behind it to boot. 

Players want to be on a winner without a doubt. But you want a player that wants to come in and be part of the solution. This is where his representation see value and opportunity in Vancouver. 

The notion that there is a cloud of drama over this franchise is almost entirely media generated and fan/media carried. Hell Boudreau has nothing but good things to say even appreciation for ownership.

Players and agents have come out specifically thanking the Canucks in Kuzmenko's case for believing in and working with him then resigning him. Mikheyev and agent come out praising the team's medical staff and management for helping him be able to play as long as he could while at the same time media and fans were ripping the team and calling for all the Canuck medical personnel to be fired lol.

Rutherford holds major street cred in this league which at this stage is more valuable then him sitting at the President's chair. Allvin learning under him and benefiting from his networking is developing a reputation as a very astute General Manager.

Jake Livingstone may struggle if signed and brought in to play top four minutes off the bat, he will likely be sold on joining a younger club, to be part of the solution, potentially playing with Hughes on defense or at the least on the rightside feeding the forward group pucks out of the zone.

Drama is overblown, Vancouver is an attractive destination and with the elite young players on the team with opportunity to directly be linemates or defense partners is extremely attractive.

So end of the day Canucks will sign the tall Swedish dman and Huard. Drance will have another meltdown about management decision making and missed opportunities lol.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

11 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

I read grew up a Flames fan. :(

We offer a fast path to the NHL, if he values that. Also close to family, and we’re a high scoring team, which should pad his stats a bit. 

But he is from BC.. so I mean being a Flames fan is one thing.. but deciding to live there is another :sick:

• There it is 1

9 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Question is, if we sign Livingstone and say Graves (5M), what do we do about OEL and Myers? 13M for a bottom pairing would be laughable, almost as bad as Minny's dead cap.

Surely we have to flip Myers after his bonuses are paid at that point.

No need for Graves... I mean we could use him but there will be 31 other teams trying to sign a RHD this summer.  

Myers, Hronek, Bear, Livingston, Johansson on the right side.  If we are to daydream about signing anyone else, it would be Schenn coming back to be a 6/7 d-man. 

If we sign Schenn and Livingston, then we can look to clear Myers salary and have a younger and cheaper right side. 

9 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Question is, if we sign Livingstone and say Graves (5M), what do we do about OEL and Myers? 13M for a bottom pairing would be laughable, almost as bad as Minny's dead cap.

Surely we have to flip Myers after his bonuses are paid at that point.

I think it's a given that most people are assuming we make every attempt to move Myers, after his bonus.

OEL just needs to get healthy from the fractured foot he suffered last year, that also infringed on his off season training and clearly was bothering him all season.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think it's a given that most people are assuming we make every attempt to move Myers, after his bonus.

OEL just needs to get healthy from the fractured foot he suffered last year, that also infringed on his off season training and clearly was bothering him all season.

Feel the same about oel. He came into the year injured and still needed time to recover.  He was barely able to skate out there this year.  Hes not this bad a player and should still be a top 3 on most teams at the very least. 

• Cheers 1

Wonder if the Canucks will be in on Brynäs RHD Samuel Johannesson?

The 22 year old is a former Columbus 2020 draft pick, but their rights have expired as he turned 20 late in his draft year (December birthday) and so, due the the quirky CBA age rules, they only received two year rights instead of four years.

Johannesson is having a breakout year in the SHL, with 32 points in 52 games. He’s -9 but Brynäs is pretty bad this year and all their players are minuses, with many in double digits. Johannesson actually has some of the best possession numbers on the team with a 54% CF%, and he’s second in scoring. Playing around 20 minutes per game.

He’s undersized at 5’11” and 175lbs, but has good skating/mobility, moves and handles the puck well, has good offensive instincts and skills, pretty decent two-way ability, plays a calm, smooth game, and doesn’t panic under pressure.

Maybe not our ideal pick for the current lineup needs, but he’s definitely got some value and upside, and should be receiving offers from NHL teams. He’s recently appeared on top-5 lists of the best European and college free agents for 2023.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Wonder if the Canucks will be in on Brynäs RHD Samuel Johannesson?

The 22 year old is a former Columbus 2020 draft pick, but their rights have expired as he turned 20 late in his draft year (December birthday) and so, due the the quirky CBA age rules, they only received two year rights instead of four years.

Johannesson is having a breakout year in the SHL, with 32 points in 52 games. He’s -9 but Brynäs is pretty bad this year and all their players are minuses, with many in double digits. Johannesson actually has some of the best possession numbers on the team with a 54% CF%, and he’s second in scoring. Playing around 20 minutes per game.

He’s undersized at 5’11” and 175lbs, but has good skating/mobility, moves and handles the puck well, has good offensive instincts and skills, pretty decent two-way ability, plays a calm, smooth game, and doesn’t panic under pressure.

Maybe not our ideal pick for the current lineup needs, but he’s definitely got some value and upside, and should be receiving offers from NHL teams. He’s recently appeared on top-5 lists of the best European and college free agents for 2023.

Wonder if there is any interest in Hardy Haman-Aktell (6’3”, 220lbs, RHD) or Valtteri Pulli (6’5, 210lbs, LHD).  Haman-Aktell is a bit more offensively minded but has physicality whereas Pulli is more of a traditional defensive defender.

2 minutes ago, fanofvan said:

Wonder if there is any interest in Hardy Haman-Aktell (6’3”, 220lbs, RHD) or Valtteri Pulli (6’5, 210lbs, LHD).  Haman-Aktell is a bit more offensively minded but has physicality whereas Pulli is more of a traditional defensive defender.

The Canucks are rumoured to be interested in Pulli. 

There was a thread on it awhile ago.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

Feel the same about oel. He came into the year injured and still needed time to recover.  He was barely able to skate out there this year.  Hes not this bad a player and should still be a top 3 on most teams at the very least. 

Agreed.  a pairing with Hronek could help OEL transition into a more defensive role (like Edler) or he can still be the primary puck mover if paired with Bear.  The cost of buying him out is so prohibitive that making it work still the best option, bad though it may be. 

2 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Any idea if we'll be successful roping him in?  Or is that something that's too difficult to tackle?  :ph34r:

Under 3 weeks ago, CanucksArmy reported mutual interest, but lots of teams are in on him

https://canucksarmy.com/news/mutual-interest-between-canucks-and-ncaa-free-agent-defenceman-jake-livingstone

Just posted the UFA class for RHD in the Hronek trade thread. The best options under 30 y/o are Dumba, Severson, Stetcher and Clifton, so….competition should be stiff

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Under 3 weeks ago, CanucksArmy reported mutual interest, but lots of teams are in on him

https://canucksarmy.com/news/mutual-interest-between-canucks-and-ncaa-free-agent-defenceman-jake-livingstone

Just posted the UFA class for RHD in the Hronek trade thread. The best options under 30 y/o are Dumba, Severson, Stetcher and Clifton, so….competition should be stiff

At least the Kuzmenko sweepstakes proved that this organization can land the biggest of the big fish, when it comes to UDFAs.

Hopefully they’ll repeat that success.

Even if they strike out on Livingstone, I’m pretty confident we’ll see Vancouver add a significant name or two from the consensus top targets (from the college, Europe, and CHL overager undrafted free agent and recent draft rights expired pools), plus a couple more “free prospects” that are less familiar names but our scouting team has identified as strong bets.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

At least the Kuzmenko sweepstakes proved that this organization can land the biggest of the big fish, when it comes to UDFAs.

Hopefully they’ll repeat that success.

Even if they strike out on Livingstone, I’m pretty confident we’ll see Vancouver add a significant name or two from the consensus top targets (from the college, Europe, and CHL overager undrafted free agent and recent draft rights expired pools), plus a couple more “free prospects” that are less familiar names but our scouting team has identified as strong bets.

We have 1 thing that no other team has…

Home.

He’s from Creston, BC. I’m sure his favourite team growing up was the Canucks… good chances of that at least… If so, his chance to play for his favourite team growing up right here  at home…. That to me sounds like a walk off home run

1 minute ago, AnthonyG said:

We have 1 thing that no other team has…

Home.

He’s from Creston, BC. I’m sure his favourite team growing up was the Canucks… good chances of that at least… If so, his chance to play for his favourite team growing up right here  at home…. That to me sounds like a walk off home run

Apparently he was a Calgary Flames fan growing up.

but we’d still be close to his homelands and if he has family friends could be a draw.

what we have to offer most is prime opportunity and he fits team needs very well.

Calgary has Tanev and Andersson on the right side top 4 in van we have Hronek and a soon to be departing Myers. An a PRIME opportunity to pair with Hughes. Not to mention to be feeding pretty talented group of forwards break out passes and defend in front of an elite goalie in demko.

We must be the front runner unless he doesn’t like the Canucks, or doesn’t want to play in a pressure cooker environment. But we all biased.

on paper it makes perfect sense to sign here to me for both parties and I’m really hoping it happens.

• Like 1