The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If Bo goes then get rid of Rutherford!

Rate this topic

Steve The Poolman

I don't think he should be fired for trading Bo if for the right return.

If JR trades Bowie for Bowen (Byram) for example?

Hughes and Byram could grow into one-two punch for the next 10 years.

Having elite defencemen wins you championships. Hughes and Byram are the type of defencemen that will give you 50+ minutes of quality ice time in the playoffs. 

I know everyone likes Bo and so do I but since his captaincy we have never been a winning team or close to it. It all starts from great Captain Leadership in the dressing room like the Smyls, Linden, and Sedin in which all 3 has got us into the Stanley Cup Finals!!! Bo hasn't and we need a change in Captaincy and also now is the great time to move him as we can get something good in return. If we don't move Bo I think our GM is not doing his job to be honest!! 

Edited by RolexSub
  • Cheers 2

17 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

It is hard to imagine putting together a management tram worse than Jim Benning's yet Aqua managed to do just that with this Mickey Mouse front office. 

The original sin is re-signing Miller and it is the move that will sink this management and organization.

They are soooooo afraid to lose a trade that they lost the forest from the trees. 

This management needs to go as well as Aqua seeing how he is incapable of putting together a competent front office. 

JR still has a lot to do if he wants to match Benning's 2020 offseason and OEL trade.

On 12/13/2022 at 5:27 PM, Steve The Poolman said:

To put it in perspective I think Bo is worth more than Miller don't you? Rutherford decisions hmmm?!

I think a lot of fans agree with my views on this.

I like Horvat, I would love for him to stay a Canuck.  However,  the definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over expecting different results.

This core doesn't work, its been like 8 or 9 years. This isn't a knock on Horvat, he's a great player, but the Canucks need to accept that they aren't good enough and tear it down and start over.

It's unfortunate but Bo is ripe for the picking to get a lot of assets. Obviously the Miller signing was short sighted, after the Boudreau bump last year obviously management thought that they had something here...

But unfortunately it's just more of the same, this core can't maintain consistent success.

Bo is a prime sell high player. I don't want to see another player walk for nothing.

I'd hate to see him go but it's what's best for the Canucks in the long term and I hope Bo wins a cup somewhere else. And it sounds like we offered him a contract and he denied it.

To quote the great Todd Bertuzzi, it is what it is.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

58 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Here's what I have difficulty with. If you resign Miller to me it suggest that the "plan" is to make the play-offs. However moving Horvat suggests a tare down. Can some one tell me just what the plan is ??

There doesn't seem to be one tbh....

• There it is 1

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Here's what I have difficulty with. If you resign Miller to me it suggest that the "plan" is to make the play-offs. However moving Horvat suggests a tare down. Can some one tell me just what the plan is ??

Plans change. At least by moving Horvat they admit they made a mistake and are now fully committed to a rebuild.

Better than the perpetual Benning "2 years away re tool"

2 hours ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

I like Horvat, I would love for him to stay a Canuck.  However,  the definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over expecting different results.

This core doesn't work, its been like 8 or 9 years. This isn't a knock on Horvat, he's a great player, but the Canucks need to accept that they aren't good enough and tear it down and start over.

It's unfortunate but Bo is ripe for the picking to get a lot of assets. Obviously the Miller signing was short sighted, after the Boudreau bump last year obviously management thought that they had something here...

But unfortunately it's just more of the same, this core can't maintain consistent success.

Bo is a prime sell high player. I don't want to see another player walk for nothing.

I'd hate to see him go but it's what's best for the Canucks in the long term and I hope Bo wins a cup somewhere else. And it sounds like we offered him a contract and he denied it.

This is on point... 

Regardless of how the season goes, they can not afford to let Bo leave for nothing... 

Sign him or trade him... its a must...

• Like 1

17 hours ago, combover said:

EF1A5171-A512-4BA6-B2CC-B0B13BAF8D3D.jpeg.d0279bd4336bd813194c92e29d9e61c6.jpeg

once you take the blinders  off it’s pretty obvious he’s way to involved in hockey ops.he let a total failure at every level keep his job for 8 years because JB was a perfect puppet never once stood up for himself.

Burke did goodbye 

nonis even did goodbye 
gillis did 

linden did

he’s a crap owner. I’m hoping his wife and children win there lawsuit. 

Who is the writers source? Sports writers are known to jump on rumors and speculation as news. Still, if the owner views the team as still good enough to make the playoffs it is his money and his call. Even that doesn't equate to constant interference. I actually believe they should always ice the best team possible and let the chips fall where they may. I don't believe in intentionally setting a team up to lose going into the season.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Sometimes in a game, if the team is losing and looks a little lacklustre, a coach will pull the goalie.  Switch him out for the backup. And it may not be the goalies fault at all. The team just needs a shakeup.  A lot of times that works.

Maybe a bad analogy, but the same applies to Bo.  I'd like to keep him here. And if the previous regime had handled things different, we may have the cap room to keep him. Because we'd have a few prospects on ELCs, and not have a couple of anchor contracts to deal with.

But the silver lining in Bo leaving is that this team does need a shakeup.  Bo's low key attitude sets the mood for the entire team. Which is why when a new player like Miller comes to town, that kind of passion is so unique here. (So glad we signed him...please stop with the trade Miller talk) . In the last game, there was a moment that there was a scrum by the Calgary net. Miller, Schenn, and one other Canuck were mixing it up I believe, could be wrong.   And even though Bo was the player that I think bumped Markstrom inadvertently, and started the kurfuffle, he quickly skated back and let the closest ref hold him like he was his dad protecting him.  Until it was over, and Bo lets go and skates back to the bench.  I guess I'm just a little tired of the passive captain approach.  I don't want him to be a goon, but there are moments in the game that he must realize that he is the face of the team, and he could at least put in a minimal physical response even if he has to fake it.  Even Linden understood that.

Maybe I'm way off base. Its not just the passivity, because other great captains don't rely on physicality either, some from our own past teams.  Maybe its just that we've seen this act for too long now, and we just need a switch. Not in net but in the captaincy.  Personally, I think Petey would make a great captain. Which I never thought before this year. And may in part, persuade him to re-sign.

48 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Sign him or trade him... its a must...

Isn't this exactly the same as the Miller situation a year ago? 

If they re-sign BoHo, my question is how will this team be any different on the ice than the mediocre team we've been watching for the past several years? Unless of course the 'sign-him' part goes with the unwritten expectation that other significant changes are coming henceforth - but then I ask again, why weren't those significant changes already executed? 

Not directed at you sp007, just wondering out loud......

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

34 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Who is the writers source? Sports writers are known to jump on rumors and speculation as news. Still, if the owner views the team as still good enough to make the playoffs it is his money and his call. Even that doesn't equate to constant interference. I actually believe they should always ice the best team possible and let the chips fall where they may. I don't believe in intentionally setting a team up to lose going into the season.

Gilman confirmed it a while ago when 1040 was still around and would regularly come on as a guest. 

We never should have rushed the Miller signing or trade, they both became UFAs together so should have dealt with them together or re-signed Bo last year to a 7x7 year deal. Now he's playing lights out in a contract year and we're screwed, and Miller is dipping after signing a contract.

There was always a possibility we couldn't keep both so why we hitched our wagon to the older, weaker defensive center I don't know but I think it shows lack of planning and foresight from our management squad. They must have just assumed Bo would be a 20-30 goal scorer, 60 point getter and sign a 6-7M deal. They didn't factor in any chance that he might peak or play better...when he's in a prime age and prime of his career and a highly offensive league.

Poor planning and foresight by management and now we end up with an ageing, deteriorating Miller over Bo.

• Cheers 3