The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames | Dec. 14, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

He signed here knowing our lack of winger depth and the fact he would have a good chance playing on the top line with Petey upping his overall numbers for next years free agency. 

So Podz and Mikey's assertion that it was they who talked him into Vancouver is all bs?

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, jyu said:

I don't know why he chose us but I'm thankful that he did.

No one wants to trade him unconditionally (well except maybe the imaginary people in you mind).

We are discussing a hypothetical scenario of if Kuz refuses to re-sign with us, what should we do?

Well his agent said they would o to discuss a new contract at seasons end. Knowing this you really run a big risk of losing him for nothing, especially considering we would be competing with other teams and their money. It's a major risk we can't afford.

1 minute ago, Googlie said:

So Podz and Mikey's assertion that it was they who talked him into Vancouver is all bs?

Money is a big influence and a chance to win a cup too. You really think we are close? He's seen the gong show around this franchise. I don't know but I think it could drive him to want to play for another team.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82
  • RoughGame 2

Just now, Devron said:

I get it Boeser hasn’t been the best but

One season of work? 

let’s get realistic here

Boeser's second contract was set up very unfavourably for the Canucks because it seemed like he was going to be a 40 goal scorer based off of the first two seasons.

We were forced to pay him 6.6 mil for 3 years because of how that contract was laid out.

Now the management can't get rid of his contract. 

Player's performances depend on a lot of factors and except for those truly special ones that drive play, you don't want to overpay. IMO, the only play drivers on this team are Petey, Hughes, and Miller (only when he wants to).

10 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

We have been down this road. If we risk trying to sign him after the deadline and he walks and we get nothing. A lot will say in here we should have traded him at the deadline. This management is awful. I am sorry but this franchise can't afford the risk. Something is better than nothing. Can't really argue that.

Absolutely not. You don’t trade a guy like Kuzmenko for anything less then a 1st or blue chip prospect, otherwise you keep him. Trading him for a 2nd or a couple of bottom pairing D-men just to “at least get something”is ridiculous reasoning. I don’t care how many times it bites us on the ass by waiting, once you trade a guy for a pittance then every other team will only look to trade with you if they get the same deal on a player. They know when blood’s in the water and will circle like sharks. Getting a bunch of middling prospects or picks is just as bad as staying put because then we continue to be a middle team and lose our best trade chips. It’s a lose lose lose with that type of thinking.

1 minute ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Absolutely not. You don’t trade a guy like Kuzmenko for anything less then a 1st or blue chip prospect, otherwise you keep him. Trading him for a 2nd or a couple of bottom pairing D-men just to “at least get something”is ridiculous reasoning. I don’t care how many times it bites us on the ass by waiting, once you trade a guy for a pittance then every other team will only look to trade with you if they get the same deal on a player. They know when blood’s in the water and will circle like sharks. Getting a bunch of middling prospects or picks is just as bad as staying put because then we continue to be a middle team and lose our best trade chips. It’s a lose lose lose with that type of thinking.

Well I guess getting absolutely nothing makes sense? It doesn't sorry. 

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Well his agent said they would o to discuss a new contract at seasons end. Knowing this you really run a big risk of losing him for nothing, especially considering we would be competing with other teams and their money. It's a major risk we can't afford.

Well week before tdl if he doesn't resign then yes you have to trade him.With Bo and maybe him,we could get a good return,couple decent prospects and picks.

Hope in the first three rounds if we can have 5 picks that one is a C and a Rhd,rest best player you can get.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Blake Coleman is a center, not a winger, had multiple 20+ goal seasons on a cr*p team, plus is an excellent defensive player who likes to be physical and will drop the gloves.

He was a center in New Jersey but had horrible face off percentages. He was not used as one in Tampa and not used as a center in Calgary.

Go look at his faceoff stats: https://www.nhl.com/stats/skaters?aggregate=0&report=faceoffwins&reportType=season&seasonFrom=20142015&seasonTo=20222023&gameType=2&playerSearch=Blake Coleman&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,1&sort=seasonId&page=0&pageSize=50.

He took 9 faceoffs this season.

Just now, Kenny Powers said:

Dec.1 I think

He said end of the season they will talk contract, doesn’t necessarily mean he is going to test UFA. Though with Dan it’s a pretty good hint it’s going that direction.

Tougher decision than Bo for management and letting him walk can’t happen.

• Vintage 1