The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames | Dec. 14, 2022

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Covid and the flat Cap probably hurt us more than most other teams. JB still was a maniac with his Cap management. Giving those 3rd and 4th liners that kind of money was more than enough evidence. 

Add in the cap recap penalty too.

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I wanna see Miller return to his “wrecking ball” ways and cause chaos, it’s what he’s good at. You put him in between some wingers that can cover for him and grind with him. Boom magic happens. All i’m sayin

I really like him with Lazar and Bo for that reason. Big guys. 2 of them will hit you

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, FaninMex said:

I really like him with Lazar and Bo for that reason. Big guys. 2 of them will hit you

Agree, I just wish we could spread our talent out better. JT has shown he can be good at the dot and having him on another line would really help us out. This year however he hasn’t been winning as much, not sure what’s up there. Others have proposed injury, which does seem plausible. 

1 hour ago, eeeeergh said:

i really dont see a huge issue with it

The cap is going to go up a lot over the next 5+ years

And the remaining couple years of his contract can be bought out when the time comes, if necessary

I think in a couple years if he maintains a point per game pace, his contract is going to end up looking quite cheap

I think the biggest problem with that line of thinking is the cap is not going up a lot right now nor do know how much it will go up in the next 2-4 years. That's when we're supposed to be competing and when that $8 mil makes it hard to bring in other necessary pieces.

Sure in 5 to 8 years it may be manageable due to inflation (and forced rebuild) but right now we're in a pickle cash wise.

5 minutes ago, Muttley said:

Canucks have been giving up a boat lode of chances of the really ugly variety. Guys in cold; Insufficient help clearing the close in defending plays. 

On most nights, he's been more then adequate, I think

theres something to be said for getting wins but personally i'm pining for demko to get back on track and be the true number 1 on this team.... here's hoping!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, eeeeergh said:

It generally has though, with the exception being Covid 

59m in 2011 to over 80 now is pretty significant 

Wages everywhere are rising, and nhl players are unionized, they’re going to get their cost of living increase 

But yet we've been up against and fighting the cap for years and years during that period and sit mired deep in that problem right now. It's not just suddenly going to get super easy to sign all the players you want and fit them under the cap. It's easy to get carried away with hope and predictions but the reality is that the cap is structured in a way that wages meet inflation and it's always going to be a delicate fit. Unless you have ELC's.

• There it is 1

39 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think the biggest problem with that line of thinking is the cap is not going up a lot right now nor do know how much it will go up in the next 2-4 years. That's when we're supposed to be competing and when that $8 mil makes it hard to bring in other necessary pieces.

Sure in 5 to 8 years it may be manageable due to inflation (and forced rebuild) but right now we're in a pickle cash wise.

definitely agree with that - but right now, 8 million for JT miller is extremely fair

and if we assume the cap will be much higher towards the tail end of his contract, that will make his cap hit proportionately smaller as his age catches up with his play. so overall im pretty happy with it. Would i have liked him moved for chytil, lundkvist, and a 1st? yeah i think so. But 8m a year for him is not bad, and he can still be very useful to us and on a "good" contract if our window to compete is in 3-4 years. 

media has been missing the mark talking about how the canucks probably "regret" re-signing jt miller. i highly doubt they do. it seems to me if they had to choose between 8m for miller (point per game guy consistently in vancouver) and 8.5-9 for horvat (50 point guy playing an absolutely incredible season), i think they can and should pick miller. the return for horvat will also theoretically be bigger than it would have been for miller.

last note on this - miller put up 99 points last season, but his 8m contract is reflective of a point per game player. he and management both determined that it was an outlier season, and his contract reflects that.

Bo doesnt seem to believe his season is an outlier. And it might not be. But it would be dumb to pay him like a 40-50 goal scorer based on 1 year of production, even though a ton of people seem to (or want to) believe that this will be his new standard moving forward.

• Cheers 1

The cap is going to go up!!!

so the mistakes won't seem as bad!!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

no- the mistakes are just as bad, because they still spent money they shouldn't have.

Thus we are further behind the teams that did not squander their money.

Ps- the cap isn't going up all that much for next year- so misspent money is still bad.

Just now, Gurn said:

The cap is going to go up!!!

so the mistakes won't seem as bad!!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

no- the mistakes are just as bad, because they still spent money they shouldn't have.

Thus we are further behind the teams that did not squander their money.

Ps- the cap isn't going up all that much for next year- so misspent money is still bad.

idk, my long rambling answer was just to say i dont think 8m for miller was a mistake at all.

all evidence points to him being a top 6 center who can put up a point per game alongside inferior linemates. Petey will also be our other top-6 center.

Someone had to go - and if it's horvat, we can either make a lateral move to fix the D or get a haul of futures.

I like Bo but man.. giving him 8m+ for one season of outperformance would be dumb. Id be saying the same if Miller got the huberdeau deal.