The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] All Canucks FOR SALE except EP40 who is "Untouchable".

RU SERIOUS

4 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I think it's more likely ownership preventing anything major from happening. I don't want to sound like I'm trying to defend management (I'm not), but there's a reason that this group seems virtually indistinguishable from the previous regime.

If ownership is blocking JR and co from doing their jobs you better believe this is the last time they’re able to hire an experienced president.

JR is well connected and word will get out about exactly what went on. Best they’ll be able to do is hire someone like Raffi Torres as President…

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

If ownership is blocking JR and co from doing their jobs you better believe this is the last time they’re able to hire an experienced president.

JR is well connected and word will get out about exactly what went on. Best they’ll be able to do is hire someone like Raffi Torres as President…

The meddling is obvious and good chance, word has getten around that Aqauman is a hands on, type owner - just look at the list that got called in, when JR was pretending to do a GM search vs Gorton with the Habs (Gorton, is the PoHO of the Habs and he would had been perfect but he would make Aquamans' meddling easy).  Which only means, Aquaman will be overpaying for a pet GM & PoHO.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

7 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

The meddling is obvious and good chance, word is getting around that Aqauman is a hands on, type owner.  Which only means, Aquaman will be overpaying for a pet GM & PoHO.

JR didn’t come out of retirement for the paycheck though, he came back to build a winner.

If ownership is meddling in his job I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Aquilinis blacklisted among the league.

He can hire as many puppet GMs as he wants fans will have had enough. Not that anyone would wanna work for him after what happened with Gillis, Benning, and soon to be Allvin. You think any of those three will get jobs again? Probably not

Edited by DeNiro

People keep forgetting this is the Canucks brass leaking this info.

Clearly they are playing 3D chess and really the only player available is Petey and they are trying ti pump up his value.  They will eventually trade him for a 3rd pairing RHD and some veteran on an anchor contract…. And throw in one of our 2nd round picks just for fun.

• Haha 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

JR didn’t come out of retirement for the paycheck though, he came back to build a winner.

If ownership is meddling in his job I wouldn’t be surprised to see the Aquilinis blacklisted among the league.

He can hire as many puppet GMs as he wants fans will have had enough.

Just focusing in on the results and rumoured trades: shortsighted moves or win now type moves, for futures.  JR has a great resume and I believe he did take the job for a paycheque for himself & his PIT FO.  Also, perhaps took it cause he knew he was going to hire Allvin and have a chance, to mentor him at Aquamans expense and to the fans frustration.  An important offseason being handled by another rookie GM, that is still learning to his/her job effectively - smh...

17 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

I dont know about “literally”.  If you are referring to After Hours it was prettty obvious to me that PA couched his terms intentionally. Hes not one to talk a big game given that: nothing is for sure/things can change quickly (player movement) and he seems like a “talk is cheap” kind of guy.  Right now it seems like their hands are tied player movement wise

Okay, but he did mention several times, or alluded that they were not interested in any step back, just more slowly trying to add to the team ... making meaningful change impossible with no cap space. Hopefully he has some super plan and is just having a good time screwing with the fanbase and making people tune out for now. I just don't see it though.

Of course their hands are tied right now. Anyone with a grade 5 education could see that last summer and before, yet ... here we are after he blew all his dough this summer so we could we could be 25th in the NHL.

16 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Yikes $50 vs $2 just outside at the Costco.  Must be a high end, hotdog ?

I brought family from the UK to their first game and we got the $1.50 Costco hot dog and a drink before the game.  They were laughing that folks were spending $20 on crappier versions of the same thing in the arena.

They pay something like $5 for a beer when seeing Man U. Or other Premier league games.

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Okay, but he did mention several times, or alluded that they were not interested in any step back, just more slowly trying to add to the team ... making meaningful change impossible with no cap space. Hopefully he has some super plan and is just having a good time screwing with the fanbase and making people tune out for now. I just don't see it though.

Of course their hands are tied right now. Anyone with a grade 5 education could see that last summer and before, yet ... here we are after he blew all his dough this summer so we could we could be 25th in the NHL.

fair enough-fans have every right to be skeptical 

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I think it's more likely ownership preventing anything major from happening. I don't want to sound like I'm trying to defend management (I'm not), but there's a reason that this group seems virtually indistinguishable from the previous regime.

I feel like I've heard them even say they would prefer not to be paying 3 coaches at the same time. Which is reasonable.

8 hours ago, shiznak said:

Quite honestly, no one should be untouchable with how this team is constructed.

If Pettersson/Hughes can fetch us a very good haul of young players, depth, and picks. I’d gladly ship them out. 

Nobody on this team should be untouchable for the right price, nobody.

This isn't to say teams will be willing to pay the right price, but we should be willing to listen and pull the trigger if they are.

I'd take a haul from Jersey for Hughes for example.

4 hours ago, jyu said:

If true, at least they've reached the right decision.

Petey is untouchable. 

Hughes is nearly untouchable.

Demko, if healthy, is untouchable.

Everyone else should be on the block. But the younger guys like Hoglander and Podkolzin should also be kept on the roster if possible.

It is critical to 1) draft a player with potential to be at the same caliber as Petey and Hughes in 2023 and 2024 and then 2) fill the age gap created by missing on 2020 and 2021 first rounders.

Trade Horvat first and then decide the next move based on the returns.

Disagree, I'd be willing to move Demko. He's on a value deal if he shows he can bounce back, and if we are willing to pull the trigger on guys like Horvat, Miller, ect there's no guarantee he'll fit our competitive timeline over the remainder of his deal. He's 27 now, we get him til he's 30, but how long will it takes us to become a playoff regular let alone a contender?

Canucks should be looking for another top flight goalie prospect or two sooner than later.

I'm not opposed to keeping Demko by any means, but I am open to moving him if a team is willing to pay a good price. 

37 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I mean yea I’m surprised more people aren’t focusing on that.

Miller and Demko being on the market is kind of a big deal.

Yupppp, all aboard the Miller trade train! My conductor's seat has never cooled! 

As for Demko, yeah, I'd move him as mentioned above. 

Just now, Coconuts said:

Nobody on this team should be untouchable for the right price, nobody.

This isn't to say teams will be willing to pay the right price, but we should be willing to listen and pull the trigger if they are.

I'd take a haul from Jersey for Hughes for example.

Disagree, I'd be willing to move Demko. He's on a value deal if he shows he can bounce back, and if we are willing to pull the trigger on guys like Horvat, Miller, ect there's no guarantee he'll fit our competitive timeline over the remainder of his deal. He's 27 now, we get him til he's 30, but how long will it takes us to become a playoff regular let alone a contender?

Canucks should be looking for another top flight goalie prospect or two sooner than later.

I'm not opposed to keeping Demko by any means, but I am open to moving him if a team is willing to pay a good price. 

Yupppp, all aboard the Miller trade train! My conductor's seat has never cooled! 

As for Demko, yeah, I'd move him as mentioned above. 

I’d just go down the list and ask is this player replaceable?

Pettersson is not replaceable. Hughes is also not replaceable IMO.

I think Miller is definitely replaceable, especially at 8 million. I think Horvat is also replaceable especially at the high salary he’ll be commanding.

And I even think Demko is replaceable when you look at how much goalies move around nowadays and have success. Look at Murray in Toronto. Everyone laughed when they signed him yet he’s got a .924 SV%…We can find another goalie.

• Vintage 2

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I’d just go down the list and ask is this player replaceable?

Pettersson is not replaceable. Hughes is also not replaceable IMO.

I think Miller is definitely replaceable, especially at 8 million. I think Horvat is also replaceable especially at the high salary he’ll be commanding.

And I even think Demko is replaceable when you look at how much goalies move around nowadays and have success. Look at Murray in Toronto. Everyone laughed when they signed him yet he’s got a .924 SV%…We can find another goalie.

Hughes isn't replaceable by a single player, but I'd still take calls and listen. If Jersey wants to be a huge haul to reunite the Hughes bro's by all means, they've got some great young talent that could collectively make this group better going forward.

At the end of the day Hughes is a phenomenal player but he's simply one guy. 

Also, Chytil sure looks solid at 17 points in 25 games (with most two periods to go), Lundqvist got a 1st and has played regularly for Dallas, and the Rags look competitive but not like a lock so the 1st would likely be in the teens or twenties. That rumoured package would sure look good right now had management not been so stubborn. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

11 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Hughes isn't replaceable by a single player, but I'd still take calls and listen. If Jersey wants to be a huge haul to reunite the Hughes bro's by all means, they've got some great young talent that could collectively make this group better going forward.

At the end of the day Hughes is a phenomenal player but he's simply one guy. 

Also, Chytil sure looks solid at 17 points in 25 games (with most two periods to go), Lundqvist got a 1st and has played regularly for Dallas, and the Rags look competitive but not like a lock so the 1st would likely be in the teens or twenties. That rumoured package would sure look good right now had management not been so stubborn. 

Remember when the usual suspects were calling those two garbage pieces, sometime in February?

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • There it is 1