The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

An orca in captivity as long as the Canucks have existed may finally be released (BAD NEWS)

OldFaithfulCap

The Salish Sea Campaign is working to bringing  the orca Sk’aliCh’elh-tenaut out of the captivity and back home to the Salish Sea.  Once called Lolita, then called Tokitae, and now given the Lummi name Sk’aliCh’elh-tenaut, she was violently taken from L-pod in 1970, and has been held at Miami Seaquarium ever since.

https://sacredsea.org/skalichelhtenaut/

https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/miami-seaquarium-shifts-stance-on-lolita-the-orcas-release-15944705

Since the Canucks have been associated with Orcas for so many years now I do hope they have contributed as it would be great to bring the Orca home. Never hurts to do the right thing.

edit:she passed away, sigh

Edited by OldFaithfulCap
S
  • Huggy Bear 1

35 minutes ago, OldFaithfulCap said:

https://sacredsea.org/skalichelhtenaut/

https://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/miami-seaquarium-shifts-stance-on-lolita-the-orcas-release-15944705

Since the Canucks have been associated with Orcas for so many years now I do hope they have contributed as it would be great to bring the Orca home. Never hurts to do the right thing.

Might be a good thing, might not.

52 years of captivity, she probably can't hunt or perhaps even remember the language of her pod.

She will be horribly out of shape.

iirc Kieko-aka "Free Willy" did not do great after being released.

I 100% support no more orca being captured, but do not support a 100% let them go policy either.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Might be a good thing, might not.

52 years of captivity, she probably can't hunt or perhaps even remember the language of her pod.

She will be horribly out of shape.

iirc Kieko-aka "Free Willy" did not do great after being released.

I 100% support no more orca being captured, but do not support a 100% let them go policy either.

If you read the details, there is a long adjustment period and she'll be in her home ocean in salish in a protected area but in the ocean.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Strawbone said:

Also, keeping highly intelligent mammals like this in captivity is bad. I hope this Orca gets to swim free before the end of her life.

Id argue less intelligent non human animals

deserve to have sufficient space/freedom to exercise their interests.

another day, another topic tho.

This event highlights why sanctuaries are so important

• Huggy Bear 1

• 3 months later...
  • OldFaithfulCap changed the title to An orca in captivity as long as the Canucks have existed may finally be released (GOOD NEWS)

I'm with @Gurn I hope this is actually possible, but I too wonder if the Orca can survive in the wild....:unsure:

If anyone wants to see the real story behind the shameful legacy of putting these animals "on display", I highly recommend you watch the documentary, "Blackfish".

23 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I'm with @Gurn I hope this is actually possible, but I too wonder if the Orca can survive in the wild....:unsure:

If anyone wants to see the real story behind the shameful legacy of putting these animals "on display", I highly recommend you watch the documentary, "Blackfish".

She'll be in a netted off area from what I can tell.  I don't except her to ever leave it.

Sadly, I fear that our resident orcas will be gone within my lifetime.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

She'll be in a netted off area from what I can tell.  I don't except her to ever leave it.

Sadly, I fear that our resident orcas will be gone within my lifetime.

It sucks, but it's certainly better than the concrete pool she's been in for so long....

• Thanks 1