The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Value Of] What would it take to get Connor Bedard

15 hours ago, Paul-walker said:

I would think Bedard is what we need to get over the top. What would it take to pick him up?

if I were gm I would offer this years 1st, next years 1st, Horvat, Boeser, and Rathbone. Do you think that could get it done? 

Trading Miller.  Horvat.  Schenn.  Kuzmenko.  Playing Myers and Stillman 25 minutes a night. Putting Dries in the top 6 full time.  Beating Pettersson and Hughes with bats in an alley so they have 3 months off.

Then and only then would we have a shot at Bedard but most likely finish March 3rd last in the league and win our last 6 games climb to 6th and watch the 5th place spot win the lottery while we drop to 7th.

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, Paul-walker said:

I would think Bedard is what we need to get over the top. What would it take to pick him up?

if I were gm I would offer this years 1st, next years 1st, Horvat, Boeser, and Rathbone. Do you think that could get it done? 

Bedard is the quickest way to the top but not the only way.

A player with generational level talent don't get traded unless the player refuses to sign (i.e., Lindros).

And that package probably is not enough to get Bedard. Horvat is a pending UFA. Boeser has near zero value and so does Rathbone. Even with Horvat re-signed, the team trading for Horvat is likely at the bottom of the standings so they wouldn't want a soon to be 28 year old over 18 year old who will outproduce Horvat in 2-3 years at most.

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

If he pulls a Lindros and asks out. Two 1st rounders, Podz and Lekky on top of that.

I don’t even know if that is enough, those top picks don’t get moved that often so it’s hard to say.

Think we have to wait until UFA, unless he gets drafted to Anaheim. Then I don’t think he becomes a Canuck until 30’s :(

20 minutes ago, J-23 said:

If he pulls a Lindros and asks out. Two 1st rounders, Podz and Lekky on top of that.

I don’t even know if that is enough, those top picks don’t get moved that often so it’s hard to say.

Think we have to wait until UFA, unless he gets drafted to Anaheim. Then I don’t think he becomes a Canuck until 30’s :(

Pods, leki, Hoglander, klinovich, rathbone and our 2023 first rounder would do it 

• Huggy Bear 1

I guess the similar question is - what would it cost to acquire McDavid?

If Edmonton fail to make the playoffs this coming year or bow out early again, they do have to think about a trade (probably more likely Draisaitl but still...would be interesting). Someone recently came out to say they wouldn't pick Connor as a core-5 guy to build a playoff-winning team around and I get that.

Looking back at value of guys - there was chat a while ago saying Chychrun was worth the equivalent of 2 firsts, a player and prospect. That value has surely come down over the last 6 months.

A guy like Horvat is probably (hopefully) commanding a 1st, player a prospect. You could almost argue McDavid is worth 1.5-2x Horvats (lol), or the equivalent of 4-5 firsts.

For argument's sake though...does Edmonton do a 1-for-1 swap, McDavid for Makar? You wouldn't think so because McDavid is basically a 2PPG player and will put up 100pt seasons for probably the next decade, but Makar has a Conne Smythe trophy and rightly so, and is exactly what Edmonton are lacking - a top elite defenceman.

Back to Bedard, points are all well and good but he's going to have to be good at playing a two way game, defending well and come up big in the playoffs after around 3-5 years in the NHL or he'll be another McDavid who won't be taken completely seriously until he wins a Cup. 

Crosby was a great example of a guy with generational, McDavid-like skill (arguably not as much), but his defending and two-way game were so superior he could shutdown his opponent with ease and then in the playoffs just carry his team through. Crosby in his prime probably gets you 5x 1sts.

Getting the 1O/A. Other than that, it isn't worth gutting the team of OUR most valuable assets just to obtain a different one. The biggest problem with these generational talents / franchise players is the royal treasury they command in 3 years. It's one thing for a team to obtain one through the draft and can arrange their finances in 3 years to arrange to keep said talent, but it's quite another to gut a high quality core in order to obtain that talent, with little guarantee that the cost to keep that talent won't continually gut the same core over and over again for a decade due to their high compensation.

There have only been <OPINION> 7 generational/true franchise talents to come into the league over the past 17 years that would compare to Bedard (Crosby, Ovechkin, Kane, McDavid, Eichel, McKinnon, Matthews)...only Crosby, Ovechkin, Kane and McKinnon have cups.

Crosby (2009 = 15.34% of team salary / 2016 & 2017 = 10.55% of team salary)

Ovechkin (2018 = 16.82% of team salary)

Kane (2010/2013/2015 = 10.61% of team salary)

McKinnon (2022 = 8.63% of team salary)

McDavid (no cups = current 15.15%)

Eichel (no cups = current 12.12%)

Matthews (no cups = 14.1%)

The problem seems to be that lately, the bigger stars in the game seem to be demanding a larger share of a team's available cap space. When we look at the case of the 3 without cups, we can quickly determine that the main reason (with Eichel in Buffalo)  that those 3 teams suffer from a lack of depth in one area or another. McKinnon (and Colorado) benefitted from MacKinnon still being on the lower salary (hence only 8.63% of the team's cap space)...this year, they will probably suffer the same fate as Toronto & Matthews...too much cash stashed at the top of the roster. The same is true of Edmonton.

In all honesty I think I'd rather have a team where no player on the team takes up more than about 8-9% of the total, have 2 of those (1 centreman and 1 dman), then 3-4 more taking about 5-6% (C2, Sniper#1,D2 & SG)...and continue down the list from there. It makes for good depth and tougher to play against.

But again...this is all just opinion. It takes good systems and good chemistry to win the cup. Packing too much cash into one player kind of derails the depth plan, so again, unless we "win" Bedard and can win the cup while he is still on his ELC, it might not be enough to sustain a depth team once he commands a huge portion of the team's cap. Heck, we can't win as it is now and we can't seem to find a way to keep our Captain employed.

They’ll want Pettersson, 1rst this year and 1rst next year at the least. It’s going to be a ridiculous price tag that nobody will pay it for an uncertainty. If we want Bedard start selling pieces now and pray to the hockey gods for a lottery win because that’s our only real chance. Unless years down the road he wants to come to his favourite team and home.

49 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

They’ll want Pettersson, 1rst this year and 1rst next year at the least. It’s going to be a ridiculous price tag that nobody will pay it for an uncertainty. If we want Bedard start selling pieces now and pray to the hockey gods for a lottery win because that’s our only real chance. Unless years down the road he wants to come to his favourite team and home.

If Bedard pulls a Lindros we could probably get him without moving Pettersson or Hughes…

We need the hockey gods.

History indicates that it always repeats itself.  Canucks never get a 1st round pick even if there's a chance,

or (as in more recent history), they will battle for a playoff spot and miss by a few points; acquiring a

mid-teen pick, (or simply trade the pick for a vet).:towel:

On 12/25/2022 at 8:07 PM, Paul-walker said:

No team is going to trade #1 overall.  Boeser almost has negative value while Rathbone is a B+ level prospect (decent but not elite).

Whichever team who is lucky to win the lottery and is crazy enough to trade away that pick, will be looking for young, immediate impactful pieces. On top of that, maybe a few unprotected first round picks. So, you’re looking to either trade one of Hughes or Pettersson, one of Podkolzkin or Lekkerimaki, and a two first round picks. 

The only lottery teams I could realistically see moving that pick are: Ottawa, Columbus, and maybe Philadelphia.

On 12/25/2022 at 11:45 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

If Chicago wins the draft lottery.

You are probably looking at swapping 1st round picks, our 2nd in 2023, Hughes for Seth Jones (Provided he'd waive his NTC.), Kuz, and Podz.

Chicago gets rid of Jones, gets younger and more skilled, and stockpiles picks.

Honestly under a 1 in 5 chance even if we were dead last, is not great odds.

Realistically unless he pulls a Lindros, it will take a Festivus Miracle. to get him.

Pretty much this kinda scenario for sure! Probably add a 1st next year too. Unless we win the lottery for 1st overall, I wouldn't bother trying to get him. The cost is ultimately too high.

It's pretty easy to be smitten by such a high prospect local boy. Why wouldn't you want a local kid with talent up the ying yang, who's a Canuck lover, and dreams of wanting to play for his home team. Unfortunately, local boy aside......EVERYBODY WANTS BEDARD!!!!!!!!!! 'Nuff said.

Go Canucks Go!

Why isn't anyone curious or discussing the very real scenario where Benard refuses to play unless traded to Canucks. A player of his caliber is guaranteed to play immediately and thus can dictate his own terms he doesn't need to prove anything and thus is in a unique position to force the NHL lottery winner to yield. This is almost certainly a possibility there is no negatives to this move that i can see so why not do it?

19 minutes ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

Why isn't anyone curious or discussing the very real scenario where Benard refuses to play unless traded to Canucks. A player of his caliber is guaranteed to play immediately and thus can dictate his own terms he doesn't need to prove anything and thus is in a unique position to force the NHL lottery winner to yield. This is almost certainly a possibility there is no negatives to this move that i can see so why not do it?

Why is it very real scenario? Is there anywhere he has given an indication he would do such a thing? Just because someone grew up in a city and supported the team doesn't mean they will only play for that team.

24 minutes ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

Because it absolutely 100% will not happen. 

• Thanks 1

Appreciate wanting Bedard here, but IMHO, only winning 1OA gets it done. As for him ‘pulling a Lindros,’ it seems like a classless/entitled move for a teenager, no matter how talented.  The fact we haven’t seen this done in the last few decades is likely all the evidence we need that it won’t happen.