The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why don't the Canucks get lie-flat seats for their plane?

Rate this topic

dougieL

Given how much travelling the team does and how important rest is, I don't understand why they don't invest in lie-flat seats for the team plane.

https://youtu.be/kVCLSrllCKA

Edit: I understand it would be expensive and probably would require a larger plane, but it seems like it would be something that could tangibly improve player performance.

Edited by dougieL
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, dougieL said:

Given how much travelling the team does and how important rest is, I don't understand why they don't invest in lie-flat seats for the team plane.

Edit: I understand it would be expensive and probably would require a larger plane, but it seems like it would be something that could tangibly improve player performance.

Don't they Charter from Air Canada? Does Air Canada have lie flat seats?

6 minutes ago, dougieL said:

I remember there was a photo of Quinn Hughes sleeping on the floor between two rows of seats. It seems that improving the plane would be such a worthy investment.

The team hasn't owned a plane in years.  They use a charter service now.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, dougieL said:

It's called seat pitch and after the Canucks have used the plane and it gets back to regular service they'd have to take the seats out one and a time and reset the pitch (distance) from the next row and you can bet Air Canada is already giving the team a deal but not going overboard. 

How do I know? I used to be a interior aircraft tech for a year in Kelowna, and I know they're set the way they are to already fit max capacity and anything done on a aircraft is not cheap and you know about the bottom line of money making 101 and there's no way A.C. will do that kind of thing without being paid large to do it...

2 things you can always bet on, A.C. has the best service but the worst leg room, W.J. has the worst service but most leg room.

Flip a coin, is what it boils down to

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

I just wonder if it might be a worthy investment given how hard our travel schedule is year after year. If you add up the extra hours of better quality sleep in more comfortable positions over 6 months, year after year, it may amount to something nontrivial. In the salary cap era, every team needs to find competitive advantages elsewhere, and I think this is somewhat of an obvious one. Might also be a selling point when attracting free agents.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, jyu said:

Cost would be the #1 reason.

I wonder if any other team in the league uses a plane large enough to offer a lie flat bed for each of their players.

In the long run cost wouldn’t be a big factor as private jets planes don’t meaningfully depreciate the way other types of vehicles have.  There would be more carrying costs than chartering all the time but no question more comfort could be had for the players.