The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Alexis Lafrenière

1 hour ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

Unless this would be a cap clearing trade that enables us to get a top 4 D or two afterwards put me as a hard no. Every single fan of this team actually agrees on something: we need better D-men. That is the only thing they should be looking for, because it’s our teams biggest hole. Using some of our few valuable assets to grab a winger who are in plentiful stock instead of D, which are rare is management malpractice.

I don’t think it is the “only” moves we should make.  I think that is the issue with this management team, they have repeatedly told the league very specific wants and that reduces possible suitors.

There isn’t anything to stop getting what you want out of a series of moves.

You could get picks and prospects and turn them into NHL calibre D in the summer.  Teams were hoping for a big jump in the cap this year and money is going to be super tight again where a mid round pick could turn into a legit top half of the lineup NHLer who another team can’t afford.

If we had a little cap space and a spare 2nd or 3rd round pick we could have probably picked up Marino in the offseason for peanuts.

9 minutes ago, Mando27 said:

Some folks are delusional about what NY would trade. Any trade for Laf likely involves us moving our first and a good young player.

The Rangers already have two 1st round picks this year. Why would they need a 3rd one?  They are not rebuilding. They need to go for the cup. Panarin may only be around for 3-4 more years. 

• There it is 1

15 minutes ago, Mando27 said:

Some folks are delusional about what NY would trade. Any trade for Laf likely involves us moving our first and a good young player.

It’s called be a fan.  You know .. fanatic?  True fan.  Not some fakeroo who has backup clubs they cheer for.  

If we trade Bo to the Raggedy Andys the both Schneider and Lafrenierre are coming back and their first. :towel:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mando27 said:

For a guy tracking almost identically as Yakupov and Galchenyuk did at this stage of their respective careers 

K

Edited by Warhippy
  • There it is 1

Laff has a lot of skill so he could be a good get. You can win with an elite winger who can drive play.

But I'm not sure I'd do Horvat for Laff straight up, well unless that is the best offer. Getting one piece, even if it's one as highly touted as Laff. We should aim for 3 pieces in a Horvat trade so that we win the trade down the road if even just one piece works out.

I'd do Miller for Laff. I'd even add propsects and draft picks outside of Podz, Hogs, 1st if it means we can get rid of Miller.

Edited by jyu

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Lafreniere is a luxury for the Rangers.  He never had a chance to play in the top 6 with Panarin and Kreider ahead of him.  They also have Othmann coming up so there is no room for Lafreniere at all on the Rangers.

He will be traded at some point I think. Rangers need some help with their playoff run, they got Copp last year so this year Horvat makes sense for them. 

Horvat is obviously a guy they can use. They can move Trocheck to RW or play him as the 3C.  With Horvat they would be deep down the middle. 

Schneider has to be a piece coming back. Canucks can’t afford to trade their best trade chip only for a winger. They need to get back either a centre or a RHD.

Horvat, Schenn and Rathbone makes sense for the Rangers for a deep playoff run and add a good prospect back in Rathbone who would be reunited with Fox. Lafreniere, Schneider and a 1st round pick makes sense for Vancouver. The Rangers have the extra 1st this year in the Lundkvist trade so they can afford to give up one of their 1st round picks.  

I could see us sending a package like that. Not sure what we’re sending them; gets us that 1st. But I’d be stoked.. the possibilities at the draft could be pretty sick!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, aqua59 said:

Ok Hairy just back it up a second. I know Lafreniere's name only. 

What does Vancouver get in Lafreniere?

From what I'm reading he's kinda been a flop in NY. Aside from what ever goes the other way what are we getting in this player and why has he seemingly fallen short?

What's your take?

I haven't watched him play really. But from looking at his stats he had a pretty good year last year 19 goals and fallen off this year but could still get a dozen goals this year, he has 5.Some good physical stats 109 hits last year, reminds me of Podz in size and offensive potential. Probably more skill than Podz. But he's definitely not enough for a 1 to 1 trade for Bo. They'd have to add imo. Faceoffs need work but trending up. I'd try him as 3rd line centre probably? He looks like he could be a 20 goal a year guy-maybe, with work. He's a project. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Good point.  Bert and McAbe were far better players than Lafrenierre and Schneider.  Can’t see those guys putting up big numbers and being tough as hell like our two guys did.  Rageroos need to add.  

Acquiring Alex Lafreniere is a dangerous act. 21 years old, but hasn't shown like he's going to burst. Will he? I mean, if he's 23 and he's not producing at the rate that a 1OA is expected to, then he's considered a bust. And the Canucks would have traded a 2nd line centre, posting 40 plus goals for a bust. That would be yet another trade we lose. This franchise and team cannot afford multiple loses in trades. They need homeruns, and when was the last time a homerun trade was made? 

OEL, Garland was a complete loss. We're on the books for OEL's contract for the next several years, for what? For a guy that's starring in the World Juniors in Guenther. 

We're without good players on ELC contract. 

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Nah, Schneider is still in his ELC next year. With their cap situation, no way they’re giving him up.

Then the Raggedy Andy’s can watch any hopes of a Cup fade fast as their top forwards age out.  Their core forwards are all soon over 30.  No good young guys coming up behind them.  

3 hours ago, Fanuck said:

the JTM signing makes us worse down the road.

The JTM signing definitely makes us worse. Much worse. That contract isn't going to age well. He's already playing poorly, and establishing bad habits at 30 years old. At this age, the player is what they are. People thinking that JT's going to change his habits are in for a rude awakening. 

Honestly, the longer they hold onto JT, the more he becomes untradeable. 

They need to get rid of him ASAP before his new deal kicks in, or else they'll be stuck with him for the entirety of that contract. 

I can see another 8 years of JR and PA, like we did with Benning and Weisbrod. 

Futility is in the books with incompetent ownership and management. 

Whatever job they were given, they have not gotten the job done. Benning really f**ked us over. JR and PA haven't done what they're supposed to. Saying that they tried to improve the defense is an excuse. Everyone else "tried" as well. Kent Hughes in Montréal turned that roster over. They're not a good team this season, but I'd argue that they have more promise and hope than we do here in Canuck nation. 

Am I wrong? 

Edited by N4ZZY
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, N4ZZY said:

Acquiring Alex Lafreniere is a dangerous act. 21 years old, but hasn't shown like he's going to burst. Will he? I mean, if he's 23 and he's not producing at the rate that a 1OA is expected to, then he's considered a bust. And the Canucks would have traded a 2nd line centre, posting 40 plus goals for a bust. That would be yet another trade we lose. This franchise and team cannot afford multiple loses in trades. They need homeruns, and when was the last time a homerun trade was made? 

OEL, Garland was a complete loss. We're on the books for OEL's contract for the next several years, for what? For a guy that's starring in the World Juniors in Guenther. 

We're without good players on ELC contract. 

Which is exactly why, if we move Bo, the Rags must add Schneider to Lafrenierre and their first.  Or they can get old P. Kane or J. Toews who are a combined minus 50 this season.  

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Which is exactly why, if we move Bo, the Rags must add Schneider to Lafrenierre and their first.  Or they can get old P. Kane or J. Toews who are a combined minus 50 this season.  

We're not getting all three, Alf. Stop drinking so early in the evening

Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3