The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Alexis Lafrenière

1 hour ago, Shayster007 said:

He's 21 and underutilized in New York. 

A) he wouldn't have any sort of trade protection.

2) he'd likely step onto the first line with Petey, why wouldn't he want to come to the most beautiful city in North America .

When it’s put that way, I can see it more. Thanks for that perspective!

• Cheers 2

47 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Basically every GM board is filled with tweets from Drance, Robinson, Williams, and MacIntyre, and posts from @RU SERIOUS, @Alflives, and @sedin26.

See, that's what I thought, but then I thought, if they are all really paying attention, why haven't all the trades that we've proposed on this board, happened? I mean, WFT do they want from us? For us to do the paperwork for them???

;)

Edited by VegasCanuck
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Well I knew he was crap last year and pleaded for him not to be re-signed. Regardless how on earth are they so dumb as to add an $8mil 3C when we're cap strapped and the league is in turmoil financially?, while publicly stating we're at least 2 years away from competing. Made zero sense then and makes even less now.

1) he was not “crap” last year, he was our co-mvp

2) they had to sign him because management felt the offers were not good enough and 8M for a 99 point player is good. Folks around here were thinking he was going to sign for 9. 

3) Miller’s 7 year extension would have helped in that 2 year point of contending that they talked about

2 hours ago, Shayster007 said:

I haven't heard that one. Source?

There was a rumor started on Reddit that he was harassed at the pumpkin patch with his family. But Miller disputed that and said it didn't happen, and then the original poster admitted to fabricating the story.

What exactly are we supposed to be appreciating him for right now? He's playing bellow average since he's been here offensively, absolutely god awful defensively, he looks lazy and uninterested, and he's optically making the whole team look bad due to his attitude. What has he done at all this year to be appreciate?

You're focusing too much on this year. He almost got 100 points last year. Someone who puts up points at that clip is not someone you just give away.

This year, he has 30 points in 36 games. He's within striking distance of getting a point per game. Ignore the first 6 games where the whole team was playing terribly, and he's basically there.

We got him for a 1st rounder, and he's proved to be worth a lot more than that. We should appreciate that. It's myopic to focus on the brief tantrums on the ice this year, and ignore everything he's done for us.  

Edited by Nave

19 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

This season especially, yes he is. And Petey is the only one close this season. Miller is closer to mediocrity than Bo and it is not even close right now.

No one is debating that Bo is better this year than Miller. Alfie saying overall in the whole time he has been here, Miller has been the better player. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

23 hours ago, Alflives said:

It’s called be a fan.  You know .. fanatic?  True fan.  Not some fakeroo who has backup clubs they cheer for.  

If we trade Bo to the Raggedy Andys the both Schneider and Lafrenierre are coming back and their first. :towel:

how many times are you going to repeat that, Alf?

you know that "fan" is like "Fanatic lite"

there are lots of us here, not "true fans" and not "fanatics" like yourself and a few others

Most fans around here have a long time passing interest in this Hot Mess called the Canucks

I for one would not miss dinner or a date or a dance or a chance to babysit my grandson to watch the Canucks play

here is websters definition

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fanatic

not something I aspire to

So beat your drum and bang your chest

be aware that many around here consider you a delightful, delusional side show and and maybe a schtick, but not the leader of this pack

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, lmm said:

how many times are you going to repeat that, Alf?

you know that "fan" is like "Fanatic lite"

there are lots of us here, not "true fans" and not "fanatics" like yourself and a few others

Most fans around here have a long time passing interest in this Hot Mess called the Canucks

I for one would not miss dinner or a date or a dance or a chance to babysit my grandson to watch the Canucks play

here is websters definition

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/fanatic

not something I aspire to

So beat your drum and bang your chest

be aware that many around here consider you a delightful, delusional side show and and maybe a schtick, but not the leader of this pack

Heres two slippers to keep your feet warm. 

image.jpeg.5ab03056fbc2941d9c336c5b2ccb74a9.jpeg

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

1) he was not “crap” last year, he was our co-mvp

2) they had to sign him because management felt the offers were not good enough and 8M for a 99 point player is good. Folks around here were thinking he was going to sign for 9. 

3) Miller’s 7 year extension would have helped in that 2 year point of contending that they talked about

He was crap defensively last year. Great offensively yeah. 

Signing anyone after an amazing career year offensively when he still has a year remaining on his contract doesn't seem like a good idea. In hindsight it wasn't, he probably could have been had for less with his current play this season and we still would have had the option to move him.

This is more a management problem than a Miller one.

I am not sure they're able to do that in 2 years. We're gonna lose Horvat which alone will set us back a while. He's been the most relied on player for the Canucks for a long-time, he's gonna be extremely tough to replace in any amount of short timeframe. They already are gonna have to ice a worse roster for next season. They will likely lose quality picks and prospects in order to move out cap which limits are options to improve and creates a potential stall in the teams progression. By the time we're able to compete for even a playoff spot Miller and OEL will probably be on the wrong side of 32.

Overall management's decision making and team outlook doesn't look too good. Ultimately they've handicapped themselves with how to improve the team. Barring any miracle with multiple big Ws I don't see us getting out of mediocrity for a few seasons. We're a ways away with limited options. 

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

46 minutes ago, Nave said:

You're focusing too much on this year. He almost got 100 points last year. Someone who puts up points at that clip is not someone you just give away.

This year, he has 30 points in 36 games. He's within striking distance of getting a point per game. Ignore the first 6 games where the whole team was playing terribly, and he's basically there.

We got him for a 1st rounder, and he's proved to be worth a lot more than that. We should appreciate that. It's myopic to focus on the brief tantrums on the ice this year, and ignore everything he's done for us.  

So no source on the dinner thing?

I appreciate what he did last year, he had a hell of a season. That does absolutely nothing for the overall disappointing hockey we've witnessed this year.

13 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He was crap defensively last year. Great offensively yeah. 

Signing anyone after an amazing career year offensively when he still has a year remaining on his contract doesn't seem like a good idea. In hindsight it wasn't, he probably could have been had for less with his current play this season and we still would have had the option to move him.

This is more a management problem than a Miller one.

I am not sure they're able to do that in 2 years. We're gonna lose Horvat which alone will set us back a while. He's been the most relied on player for the Canucks for a long-time, he's gonna be extremely tough to replace in any amount of short timeframe. They already are gonna have to ice a worse roster for next season. They will likely lose quality picks and prospects in order to move out cap which limits are options to improve and creates a potential stall in the teams progression. By the time we're able to compete for even a playoff spot Miller and OEL will probably be on the wrong side of 32.

Overall management's decision making and team outlook doesn't look too good. Ultimately they've handicapped themselves with how to improve the team. Barring any miracle with multiple big Ws I don't see us getting out of mediocrity for a few seasons. We're a ways away with limited options. 

I wouldn’t say he was “crap” defensively either. He was ok. But not crap. He finished the season at plus 15. His big issue this year is his speed. He is not playing well as a result. Gets frustrated too. Everyone knows it, including himself. All I can hope for is that him to snap out of it.

I agree with you on the 2 year contention time. We are nowhere close to that time frame.

Everyone dogging Miller he still has 30 points in 36 games. 8 million is the new 6 in a couple years with the Cap rising (apparently) 

He has value you just need to take back a contract that has a couple years on it to a contender who needs to compete now. Look at Petey last year and the outrage from fans, players have kinks. 

Just now, grandmaster said:

I wouldn’t say he was “crap” defensively either. He was ok. But not crap. He finished the season at plus 15. His big issue this year is his speed. He is not playing well as a result. Gets frustrated too. Everyone knows it, including himself. All I can hope for is that him to snap out of it.

I agree with you on the 2 year contention time. We are nowhere close to that time frame.

He outscored his defensive play last year. In retrospect he has twice as many giveaways as Horvat during his time here and a negative Takeaway-Giveaway ratio. Consensus on this board usually consider Horvat an average defensive player(I agree for the most part) at least I find and he also has a positive Takeaway-Giveaway Ratio. 

It's nothing knew with him. He's never been a defensive guy throughout his career. I am surprised with some of the Selke nods(two top 25 nods) but those were both his 2 better offensive seasons here with positive +/- and good faceoff stats.

IMO he should be like Kesler and vent his frustration out on the other team instead of elsewhere because elsewhere has looked bad IMO. We kind of need more bite towards the opposition anyway. 

Personally I would trade him if I could and Bo and do a reset with garnering picks/prospects and cap for a couple seasons but that isn't happening. I feel we have young enough pieces but I don't think ownership is willing to sell like that. It definitely wouldn't be a 2 year timeframe to playoffs going this route but we could(nothing ever a guarantee obviously) have a better long-term outlook, maybe something we can all get behind.

Right now IDK if I like the long-term outlook. IDK what we're trying to get behind. It makes it hard to put faith in this management group and the core, especially with the rough games we've seen. Everytime we see one of those games it's like a gut punch telling me how far apart we are. 

Anyways I should probably stop before I go on a rant in regards to my frustrations with the team. 

• Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, KyGuy123 said:

Everyone dogging Miller he still has 30 points in 36 games. 8 million is the new 6 in a couple years with the Cap rising (apparently) 

He has value you just need to take back a contract that has a couple years on it to a contender who needs to compete now. Look at Petey last year and the outrage from fans, players have kinks. 

The goal is to build a championship team.

There’s more to that than just putting up points. We need players that will play hard at both ends of the ice and sacrifice the body. Oh and not turn the puck over like it’s a beer league game.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Lol Bo is our best Player, what are you talking about mediocrity for?

Mediocre Is slamming our stick at teammates then coughing up the puck and gliding back on defence. Not sure how you relentlessly defend JT then label Bo as part of the mediocrity. LMAO

I’m talking about changing the culture from mediocre to emotionaly engaged.

Thats why they signed JT  4 yrs of 1 ppg here.

Bo waited too long to put up numbers.

Had he played like this in previous seasons , he probably would have been signed first.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

That's true. Why hasn't anyone made that comparison yet

Because it wasn’t a great comparison at all.  Hahah

The kid is what…21?   Scored 19 goals last year on the 3rd line with minimal PP time.  
The kid will be fine 

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

14 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

I’m talking about changing the culture from mediocre to emotionaly engaged.

Thats why they signed JT  4 yrs of 1 ppg here.

Bo waited too long to put up numbers.

Had he played like this in previous seasons , he probably would have been signed first.

JT’s leadership this year has been Mid at best and abysmal at worst. 

• Vintage 1