The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Tampa Bay Lightning | Jan. 12, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

You still need some vets to show the young players how to be a professional or you get a fiasco like in Edmonton.  Schenn has 2 cups, likes it here, and fits in well with the group.  I'd like to see him retained after this year.

People fall in love with these players and no matter what just want to keep them despite all the losing.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Devron said:

We should be trading Schenn. Why people want to keep a 34 year old on an expiring contract is beyond me, especially when teams want him this year, 

I agree I don’t wanna keep him.

But fans can’t have it both ways. They can’t hate on Horvat for not standing up for teammates and then want Petey as captain.

Seems like fans are turning on him to make the breakup easier.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I prefer Schenn too.  Look what happened to Edmonton with McDiver, and imagine where they'd be if they didn't have a locker room cancer wearing the C.  It's possible he would have learned to backcheck and turned into a real man if he hadn't been gifted an unearned leadership spot.  Your best players don't have to be your  best leaders.

Fans put too much emphasis on the captaincy imo, or at least that's what I've noticed around here. You don't need a letter to be a leader but folks like to fetishize what they want in a captain.

Some fans seem to want Shea Weber and nothing less. Huge, talented, tough as as nails, good at both ends, physical. Weber was a unicorn, a throwback to an era of hockey that doesn't exist anymore. Some fans want a unicorn. 

Which is why I prefer captains who aren't your star guys, who are guys who just go out and do their job. That's all I look for in a leader, someone who shows up game in and game out and just does their job. I don't need all the bells and whistles or the toughness some fans fetishize. The game has changed, pushback looks different nowadays and you're never gonna see that rough and tumble pushback come back. 

A third liner with Hansen's work ethic would be a perfectly acceptable captain in my eyes. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

So we don’t like that Horvat doesn’t fight someone any time one of our guys is roughed up, but we wanna make Petey captain? What do you think he would do?

If you want a captain that will chuck em then we should be making Schenn captain.

Even Gretzky dropped the gloves...

Just now, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

People fall in love with these players and no matter what just want to keep them despite all the losing.

The alternative is either no veteran leadership, or overpaid UFAs.  I'm fine with getting a good return for Schenn or re-signing him to a reasonable contract.  We are not going to be icing a team where everyone is under 25.

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

You still need some vets to show the young players how to be a professional or you get a fiasco like in Edmonton.  Schenn has 2 cups, likes it here, and fits in well with the group.  I'd like to see him retained after this year.

I don’t care about that anymore. I used to think it’s was important, JB did a good job there and got crucified for it. Schenn needs to be traded as he’s worth as much as a 2nd round pick right now. 

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

Blackhawks beat the Avs. Toews with a secondary assist and Kane with nothing. These two are so done. I can’t see any team giving up much for these guys. 

Kane is injured.

Rumours circling that he might be done for the season.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Blackhawks beat the Avs. Toews with a secondary assist and Kane with nothing. These two are so done. I can’t see any team giving up much for these guys. 

Look at the supporting cast around them.  Atrocious.  Toews and kane on a good team can still play.  

• Huggy Bear 1

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I agree I don’t wanna keep him.

But fans can’t have it both ways. They can’t hate on Horvat for not standing up for teammates and then want Petey as captain.

Seems like fans are turning on him to make the breakup easier.

Yeah the fans that want Petey to be captain will have the same type of captain. I’m all for it if Petey wants it but I also think he doesn’t like the media and I’d rather let him focus on his game. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Kane wasn't even playing, he's been out with an injury 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1