The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edit- Rick Tocchet Expected To Be Next Head Coach

Rate this topic

BertaNuck

1 hour ago, Moe Knows said:

If Tocchet really is the next coaching choice, can someone PLEASE tell me why management would want to hire a guy with a losing coaching record to coach a losing team? We really are a badly run organization !!!!

To be fair, and I hate tocchet, the majority of his time was in AZ.

I don't know too much about Tocchet, except I don't think I like him.

Isn't he another of JR's cronies? I hate that...this isn't a place for friends to gather and collect a paycheque. (I could be wrong). In reading about him, he seems more like a loser than a winner.

For crying out loud, firing Bruce at this point is pointless. Ride things out because we aren't going to turn it around in time.  Status quo and no "rushed/pressured" decisions. Weigh things out patiently and make good decisions that help us moving forward. Not decisions to "show" you're doing "something". Too little too late.

• Upvote 3
  • Huggy Bear 1

9 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Gillis' mishandling of Schneider and Luongo

Poor drafting by Gillis' regime resulting in a bankrupt depth for futures

It fits the theme. It's complete incompetence. The team didn't address drafting/development for Gillis' entire tenure.

1 hour ago, GB5 said:

Rutherford and Alvin are treating Boudreau like sh*t and look like a bunch of amateurs.

Boudreau has been nothing but a class act 

Rutherford is constantly throwing his coach under the bus and rumors to have met with Tocchet in Vegas and on and on it goes.

The current coach is a lame duck under these idiots who are full of cheap talk but no action.

I'm really feeling a lot of the same. 

I don't know that some of this current management team really cares about the team as much as their own security and circles. Some (JR) signed on for a job at the end of their careers and are now seemingly making moves for the sake of. Some that appear to be hired based on favouritism for those they know and "trust". It's lazy. 

This is our team they're messing with....I would really appreciate a thorough search and NOT just going through the contacts list to find people. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Isn't he another of JR's cronies? I hate that...this isn't a place for friends to gather and collect a paycheque. (I could be wrong). In reading about him, he seems more like a loser than a winner.

For crying out loud, firing Bruce at this point is pointless. Ride things out because we aren't going to turn it around in time.  Status quo and no "rushed/pressured" decisions. Weigh things out patiently and make good decisions that help us moving forward. Not decisions to "show" you're doing "something". Too little too late.

I agree with this. It's wreaks of desperation. If I were Bruce I would have quit by now just because of how they have treated him. You can't fire me! I quit!

Quit Dave Chappelle GIF

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

I would have bet the farm they wouldn't hire another head coach this season and just run with one of the assistants as an interim guy until they could do a proper search and see who is available in the offseason.

If these reports are true (and no reason to doubt them as they are coming in from many sources now), the only conceivable explanation for this move is that they really honestly think the issue with this team is the coaching and a new guy can turn it around.  That is just so crazy I couldn't have imagined it being true.  No one is knocking down the door to hire Tocchet right now and there is no risk of missing out on him even if you think he is the right guy (which also seems kind of crazy).  There is literally no reason to bring him in unless you think he can improve things THIS season.,,, why the hell would you even WANT do to that?  All the other GMs who are even remotely out of the playoffs is reportedly thinking about tanking for a better pick in a really good draft.  Our play is to see if we can squeak out a coupe more wins?

Do they really need this half a season to get a line on what players they like under a new system and decide who you want to keep or not?  What is that going to tell them that they don't already know?  I mean Boudreau had a remarkable record over half a season and they still didn't believe in him.  Anyone in hockey, and most fans even remotely familiar with the game know this roster is just no good and requires major surgery.

I honestly thought I was at a new low for apathy after cancelling Sportsnet and not bothering to watch games this year until "something" happens.  I am actively starting to feel antipathy towards a team I have followed for 40 years.  Everything is not just bungled, but had a sleazy undertone to it which I don't really want to associate with.  If Tocchet is your guy (and probably always was the moment you took over the job), then fire Boudreau and just be up front about it.  Don't spend a year sniping in the press at one of the winningest coaches in league history about how bad he is and how the roster is good enough if only they had better structure.  

Geniunely... screw these guys.

Most fans feel sorry for Boudreau because he is obviously a quality guy. The NHL reality is results. The d-side game has gotten worse from last year. Was it Shaw who got those results? Bottom line is that Boudreau could walk away if he felt disrespected. I am assuming there are frank discussions behind the scenes. Ultimately it is played out ion the ice. 

My assumption is that Rutherford and Allvin know what they have with this roster. IMO opinion a serious rebuild is in the offing beginning with the TDL. Rutherford is already on the record as saying there is no structure to what he sees during games. Is Tocchet a coach that can move a younger roster thru a restructuring? Can he teach? How long the term? Is there another coach on the bench like Yeo or Cull who could be a shorter term option? Is it Allvin who sets the type of game he envisions for the Canucks? 

Like you I am a long term Canucks fan back to '72. The antipathy your talking about is real for many. We have seen some pretty bad times over the years. IMHO I don't think you should get too down. The team does have some real talent. Some of it will be moved out in the coming rebuild. IMHO a rebuild is necessary. There are no guarantees and a rebuild might blow up in our faces. Let's face it the NHL is getting younger. In our day players weren't hitting their primes until +30 and now it is 25-26. Orgs have to make value judgements on younger players with less room for mistakes. Really hard to do. Is PA and the new management group up to the challenge? Ownership has spent big money on this rebuilt management structure. IMO they have done a decent job to date. Saying that I am assuming the Miller and Boeser contracts were structured so they could give certainty to any acquiring team. Rutherford made some questionable deals in Pitt so judgement must be reserved. 

When I really get down on the Canucks I refocus on Abby. There are about 6 players there that might come to the Canucks. Europe has another 3-4 players who might make it. If PA can cut some deals he will have prospects and picks coming back. My hope is that Van has 3, 1st rdrs, this summer in a strong draft year.   

Petey and Hughes are the base to build around. Big changes coming. 

6 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

IMHO a rebuild is necessary. There are no guarantees and a rebuild might blow up in our faces.

I would take that chance over remaining on the present course of indefinite mediocrity which we've been on over a decade now.

At least if they make a clear move and sell off key assets for prospects/picks then fans will understand the direction.  I don't think anyone knows exactly what's going on right now with this disaster they're calling a franchise?

46 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

I am just tired of our players being coddled. Enough is enough of this country club atmosphere. They are way too comfortable with this situation. Even now with all these losses they are talking about how they didn't give up. Whoohooo!

If they wanted to get rid of the country club atmosphere, why are they surrounding themselves with staff and middle management from their glory days in Pitts etc?

• Vintage 1
  • There it is 2

44 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

That pick is getting traded....a 5 game winning streak is coming and they'll make a "push"

My biggest fear with this latest development is that a coaching change will happen,  the proverbial 'new coaching surge' will occur (JR himself spoke of this in the past) and we'll rise up a few places in the standings making ownership decide to yet again,  make a push for PO at all costs, then the Neverending cycle of mediocrity continues....

• Upvote 1

Just now, Fanuck said:

My biggest fear with this latest development is that a coaching change will happen,  the proverbial 'new coaching surge' will occur (JR himself spoke of this in the past) and we'll rise up a few places in the standings making ownership decide to yet again,  make a push for PO at all costs, then the Neverending cycle of mediocrity continues....

You Got It Bob GIF by CBS

37 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

The quick and dirty on Tocc is he's a very structure orientated coach. To the point where he will bench even high profile players for mistakes. He sucks the creativity out of games in favour of ridged structure. Exactly what JR has been saying this team needs all along.

He's not a players coach, at all. Many players under him seem to see dips in performance offensively in the past.

He will hold players accountable though. Players who aren't putting in the effort will not see ice. No matter how much they are being paid. For that reason he tends to get a lot out of fringe players. 

TLDR; all structure, no fun. 

Edited by Shayster007
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

The quick and dirty on Tocc is he's a very structure orientated coach. To the point where he will bench even high profile players for mistakes. He sucks the creativity out of games in favour of ridged structure. Exactly what JR has been saying this team needs all along.

He's not a players coach, at all. Many players under him seem to see dips in performance offensively in the past.

He will hold players accountable though. Players who aren't putting in the effort will not see ice. No matter how much they are being paid. For that reason he tends to get a lot out of fringe players. 

TLDR; all structure, no fun. 

You basically just described Trotz, no?  Except Trotz isn't a convicted criminal douche.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shayster007 said:

Yup, and I'm still hoping for Trotz. The theory of Tocc is good, the person seems bad.

I wouldn't be against that, but I don't see it happening for 3 reasons:

1.  Right or wrong, that's never been the style of play ownership likes to see their team play.  Doesn't matter if it's successful or not Aquaman likes high scoring,  end to end action - Trotz I don't think prefers that. 

2.  Trotz seems much too intelligent a hockey person,  with way to many options,  to agree to come here and step into this sh!$ storm ownership calls their team.

3. Word is that a coaching change would already have happened but ownership didn't want to be on the hook for paying 3 sets of coaches at the same time,  and with Trotz's pedigree he likely wouldn't come cheap or short-term.

• Cheers 1