The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edit- Rick Tocchet Expected To Be Next Head Coach

Rate this topic

BertaNuck

17 minutes ago, Rubik said:

listen from the 4 minute mark... this is not news, but Gabby is a fantastic guy and ownership/management is downright trash for the way they have been handling this situation.. oh and yeah, that last question, how f**king stupid can you get?! that really pisses me off

This is sad to watch. BB has been very professional and handled himself the best he could. I wish him the best what ever happens

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

The way they've treated Bruce in all this is absolutely disgraceful & beyond unprofessional. What happens on the ice is what it is, but it's hard to be a supporter of this organization when you see them treating great people so badly. 

This franchise is a full on dumpster fire right now & deserves to be carved over this.

Absolutely, I haven't seen something like this before this publicly talked about, and it couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Absolutely disgusting treatment of their staff.

I wonder who's to blame, it's probably media to an extent but obviously management are involved and maybe ownership a bit. This does reek a bit of JR to be honest, I doubt Allvin is pulling these strings here.

• Cheers 1

Absolute trash the way they are handling BB. 

If this is how he treats his coach, hopefully JR has the fortitude to do whatever it takes to make this program a winner. 

So far, he's been weak in handling the Miller and Boeser situation

Only time he's shown ruthlessness is against BB.. Seems like a typical bully.

If he can keep up with his demeanor after the BB situation, we should call him Ruthless Rutherford. 

6 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Absolute trash the way they are handling BB. 

If this is how he treats his coach, hopefully JR has the fortitude to do whatever it takes to make this program a winner. 

So far, he's been weak in handling the Miller and Boeser situation

Only time he's shown ruthlessness is against BB.. Seems like a typical bully.

If he can keep up with his demeanor after the BB situation, we should call him Ruthless Rutherford. 

It goes back to his days with the Hurricanes. Him, Konstantin Karamnov, Larry Polden, really the entire old boys club there delusionally thought they earned their cup through more than just freak surprise goaltending. Not sure why we get a president whose age is in the mental decline phase anyways

5 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Just come out and tell people "We are keeping Bruce for the remainder of the year; and we have asked that he start getting the team ready for the years to come, and not worry about results, in the now".

makes more sense to get the new coach in now if you can so you can get their read on the room prior to the deadline and offseason.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tas said:

makes more sense to get the new coach in now if you can so you can get their read on the room prior to the deadline and offseason.

What's there to read? We need 2 top 4 D. And a young centre to replace Horvat and to somehow get rid of OEL Myers and Boeser 

16 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Also wanted to add, if BB was responsible for bringing Yeo on board, he dug his own grave. 

BB needed a guy like Shaw. 

Still doesn't excuse the way the organization has treated him. 

If BB wasnt responsible for Yeo, then he was set up to fail. 

apparently BB and shaw did not get along together which begs the question, if tocchet comes in, how many the present coaches are let go?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, tas said:

Makes less sense, as you have a reduced pool to hire your coach from.

Hypothetical- Joel Quennville is re instated by the league- but you can't sign him , cause you hired Rick T.

Personally I don't want coach Q on this team, but is he a better coach than Rick?

Or, after a bad play offs Jon Cooper asks to leave Tampa, so they can have a new voice. Tampa agrees and suddenly a B.C. guy is available to coach- so sad, too late for the nucks- they already hired Rick.

Edited by Gurn

39 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm not opposed to people redeeming themselves. And he's a HELL of a coach.

But he'd have to jump through a LOT of hoops to even be considered. We're talking counseling/training, charity work and $ for fair play organizations, and a big "I F'd up" press conference completely owning what happened there and his part in it. And the league would have to ok his return as well.

Yeah he probably hasn't been in coaching jail long enough for most.  He always claimed he never knew what Aldrich was up to, but even if he was just purposely ignoring warnings, he should suffer to some degree. Meanwhile of course, most people say that Toews was aware too, as he should have been, and did nothing to stop it either. But he's allowed to keep the  C and keep on playing like nothing happened.

I just know that it will only be after the Canucks are wedded to another coach with years ahead on their contract, that suddenly Bettman wlll announce Joel's get out of jail card, and a team like Calgary or Seattle will scoop him up. 

In some ways Vancouver is the perfect place for a restart.  A team that made a name for itself recently as hiring more diverse execs than anyone. We are more woke than most teams!  After enough tears and promises I'd be stoked to have Quenneville land here.  And yes, it would have to be sincere.  But whatever outrage spiking when/if he was hired, would dissipate in this town once we started winning again, and probably wane around the league after a season. Too many other scandals up the pike.

• Cheers 1

This owner and management team are embarrassing. Why string Bruce along? Just fire him if you don't want him. Bruce is a human being and a very good coach. I wouldn't like it if my boss held a press conference and talked about how he was talking to people about my replacement and still expecting me to perform. I personally would keep Bruce. 

Rutherford hasn't made one good move. Not one fan wants the retool. REBUILD the team from the ground up. 

• Cheers 1

maybe we could give the new coach and who comes with him a chance to see what they can do with this team and work along with JR and PA on who all should be moved. fans shouldn't be involved because we are all over the place. JR said that not all the core will be here next year. that some won't be agreed with and some will be. their road is going to be filled with obsticles. as a fan, i wish them luck.

1 hour ago, tas said:

I'm not a tocchet booster, but the narrative that travis green is a bad coach is wrong and dumb. he was great until whatever happened behind the scenes that fractured the room. 

He is a bad coach though. He was given a number of different rosters, all of which he had some kind of say in. Moreover, the last roster he had was the most skilled one that he ever had. That ended up being the hero season for Boudreau because that exact same roster had that interesting run.

Get this: he has a worse record than Willie Desjardins, and his rosters were CRAP. Well, at least they didn't have shiny pieces like Hughes and Pettersson. Players like Megna were roster fillers and they took up lots of minutes.

Green also coached during the Spengler Cup this year... he's not a good coach.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Huggy Bear 1

38 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

What's there to read? We need 2 top 4 D. And a young centre to replace Horvat and to somehow get rid of OEL Myers and Boeser 

there's a lot more to it than position. attitude, who's going to be willing to buy into the culture, who fits the style the coach wants to play, etc.

personnel decisions aren't just looking at stats and positional need. 

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

Why hire a coach from such a limited amount of available guys- or even gals?

There will be many more available choices after this season, seems stupid to hire  now.

Sadly-I won't be surprised if they do hire the Rick.

Nobody good is coming here after the way Bruce was treated.

Tocchet and Babcock were the two best candidates, that says it all…

Edited by J-23
  • Cheers 2

This is just plain cruel to Bruce at this point.

As.they have made their decision they owe it him to him to.be more respectful.

Bruce can't quit aa it would cost him big money .... he needs for them to release him

I like Bruce but if they have made a firm decision which it sounds like they have..... don't hang Bruce out for humiliation ......

It could impact other coaches from noy wanting to join us in the future 

• Cheers 1