The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Rutherford press conference

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, Kuzy said:

If we can't trade our long term anchors like OEL, buying them out is the next best option. We either are stuck with a rapidly declining veteran who is barely keeping his head above water on 5v5 for the next several years, or we eat the smaller cap hit for the next several years and gain cap flexibility again. Lesser of two evils.

Much as I don't like it, I think  you are correct with this.

1 minute ago, Jaimito said:

Buying out bad contracts that he didn't sign is not his fault.

Sounds like a last resort if they can't create cap space. 

As long AQ can stomach it.  JB really left a mess... 

It's entirely his fault when it's an obviously stupid idea.  Firing this clown is a far better option.

5 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

He revealed a lot of his cards in this presser. We're pretty much not getting anything for the players we want to trade. Teams can line up and sign them when we buy them out.

Poker Lose GIF by PokerStars

Well it’s that or we don’t have any idea what’s going on as fans and we’d be b!tching about that! 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Buying out bad contracts that he didn't sign is not his fault.

Sounds like a last resort if they can't create cap space. 

As long AQ can stomach it.  JB really left a mess... 

They can't get cap space because of the moves they made.......and didn't make.  I'm sick of the lack of accountability by this group.  They created this mess, not JB 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

Im not sure I agree with a buyout for OEL

With a buyout, we still get a pretty massive cap hit from 2024-2027 (the duration of his contract anyway) and then we get FOUR more years of 2.2m cap hit after that.

the problem is if we buy him out, we have to replace him. Even if we accept hes playing to a 4m a year level right now, and we replace him with a 4m guy, if you include his cap hit + the new guys cap hit until 2027, we're paying OELs full salary anyway... and now we get punished with him being on the books for 4 additional years.

Let him run his contract out. 

I generally agree. Neither are ideal options. Really comes down to $ saved versus value of potential replacement. If only we had a stocked prospect cupboard to pull cheap promising D from....

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Just live with the contract.  Crippling the franchise for years out of impatience is simply unforgivable.  The contracts should expire once we're in a position to contend; no GM with a functioning brain would think dead cap at that point is acceptable under any circumstances.  This idiot needs to be fired before he causes permanent damage.

I haven't actually dove into capfriendly to see exactly how much we'd save. I've read here that it would be a decent chunk of savings but the buyout would exceed his actual contract. We're really screwed either way. Hopefully we can take advantage of another team, or OEL gets sent to Robidas Island?