The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Rutherford press conference

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, Jaimito said:

I don't care what the wording is. I do agree with the need for change to the roster. People get too hung up on retool vs rebuild.  They are tanking now, and will miss playoffs like last yr. That's two yrs.  Not signing Bo will be increasing cap space. Signing JT goes against that for sure when they still believed a minor surgery was all that was needed. 

As long as they are selling assets at the TDL for picks/prospects and not holding them to lose for nothing or worse yet, buying because they show a late spark.

They really need at least another first and second this year and have the tradable assets to get them.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Statement #1: Jim Rutherford says when he arrived, he believed the team would need minor surgery (in terms of changes to the roster). He now says he believes they need major surgery.  

Statement #2: The changes we need to make are not with the core players, but with the other players on the team

Which is it Jim ?

(P.S. : I Think we all know the answer)

Last year during the Boudreau run for the playoffs almost all the Canuck fanbase were excited. Boudreau was a god and the team was a contender. If anything the fans wanted Rutherford to be a buyer. Why would Rutherford have a rigid view of this roster. He added some nice pieces and it still doesn't work. Yes, He didn't do near enough on the d-side. 

My impression is that JR & PA know what they want to do. Going public with the fanbase weakens their position within the league. The question might be is who he considers 'core'. Fans talk being OK with a rebuild and then go snakey with speculation. Rutherford doesn't need this job. I suspect his team is exploring all the avenues open to them. When they make a deal then they will be judged on their evaluation. They might fail. That is a reality when you have to assess emotional, physical and skill attributes of players. 

What is happening on the ice isn't as bad as it looks. That doesn't mean this roster does not need major changes. Start with Miller-Boeser-Garland-Meyers. Try and sign Horvat and Kuz but failing that they have to go. Look at Abby and Europe and assess those players in the long term plan. All being done. IMHO Abbey is doing much better this year and have a nice core of young players. There are 2-3 prospects in Euroland who might come next year. 

I suspect trades being cooked by PA are well developed and are waiting on the TDL. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Last year during the Boudreau run for the playoffs almost all the Canuck fanbase were excited. Boudreau was a god and the team was a contender. If anything the fans wanted Rutherford to be a buyer. Why would Rutherford have a rigid view of this roster. He added some nice pieces and it still doesn't work. Yes, He didn't do near enough on the d-side. 

My impression is that JR & PA know what they want to do. Going public with the fanbase weakens their position within the league. The question might be is who he considers 'core'. Fans talk being OK with a rebuild and then go snakey with speculation. Rutherford doesn't need this job. I suspect his team is exploring all the avenues open to them. When they make a deal then they will be judged on their evaluation. They might fail. That is a reality when you have to assess emotional, physical and skill attributes of players. 

What is happening on the ice isn't as bad as it looks. That doesn't mean this roster does not need major changes. Start with Miller-Boeser-Garland-Meyers. Try and sign Horvat and Kuz but failing that they have to go. Look at Abby and Europe and assess those players in the long term plan. All being done. IMHO Abbey is doing much better this year and have a nice core of young players. There are 2-3 prospects in Euroland who might come next year. 

I suspect trades being cooked by PA are well developed and are waiting on the TDL. 

This management group is freaking delusional. At this point, all players SHOULD be available for trade. Horvat, our captain, is on the brink of leaving. If that's not a rebuild, I don't know what is.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Jaimito said:

I don't care what the wording is. I do agree with the need for change to the roster. People get too hung up on retool vs rebuild.  They are tanking now, and will miss playoffs like last yr. That's two yrs.  Not signing Bo will be increasing cap space. Signing JT goes against that for sure when they still believed a minor surgery was all that was needed. 

We're probably 2-3 years away including this one from being able to build proper.

The goal should be to clear cap and garner picks/prospects in said time.

That gives you flexibility and multiple options to build the roster. 

IMO Miller and Horvat should go.

What's really interesting to me is that this in some ways parallels all the NTCs that Benning inherited and the same early challenges in his regime. There were upwards of 10 NTCs when Benning took over, which dictated the approach in his first four years. 

Like Rutherford mentioned today, they have to wait for some contracts to expire. All sounds so familiar. Benning had to work around contracts, it took longer ... Rutherford now working around contracts, it's taking longer.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Goal:thecup said:

Calling a press conference to explain the Pearson 'situation' and then giving a big lecture on how the system works, totally leaving out the patient's injuries, reinjuries, and rehab set backs isn't me 'believing what I want'.  It is double-speak trying to cover their arses.  We spoke to everyone, we spoke to Tanner, but we can't comment on anything, etc, etc.

I think JR is an ego-maniac who cannot handle criticism of any kind; he always gets so upset whenever anyone calls him out on anything.

Even his 'admission' that he hasn't done a good job is full of deflections, throwing coaches, staff, and players under the bus again, etc.

Just fess up JR: you got caught with your pants down with Miller cuz you didn't realize how the whole league was in cap hell.

Whatever in the world makes you think offering Bo a deal only based on prior years' performance and not adjusting to take into account his performance since is offering a 'fair deal'?

Hiring convicted criminals and horrible people like Tocchet and Yeo and treating good people like Bruce like trash?

What makes you think you can get away with your abhorrent behaviour in front of Canuck fans who cherish good, honest, hard-working team and management?

He should be made to watch that presser over and over until he realizes it.

Well, you are obviously not a fan of JR.  You interpret everything as the worst case scenario. 

I don't see it that way. 

8 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Another thing. How did Jim, when he started, look at the roster, and the glaring weakness of the defense, and determine that it would only be "minor surgery" instead of some serious roster resconstruction? That many years in the league in various positions should enable one to make better determinations.  

Didn't he say they needed to change the supporting cast and keep the core though? So who are the core?  Bo, Miller, Demko, Petey, Hughes.  JR knows we need to fix the D.  We only have one guy who is really a top four.  The rest are bottom pair or lower. 

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

image.thumb.png.e09e25df4f0060a5623d08f0eb14dfdc.png

Who does this refer to ... Miller?

The buyouts scare me. What do they plan on wasting this credit advance on?

Also no draft picks instead of crap that can play now. Not a fan.

Yes, that reply was in reference to JT. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

image.thumb.png.e09e25df4f0060a5623d08f0eb14dfdc.png

Who does this refer to ... Miller?

The buyouts scare me. What do they plan on wasting this credit advance on?

Also no draft picks instead of crap that can play now. Not a fan.

Looks like the Canucks never learned the lessons of Gillis' poor drafting/development.

We are in a world of hurt for many years. I predict we'll be "oil changing" every year, ala Edmonton. Wow. I'm seriously thinking about walking away from this team if that happens.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We're probably 2-3 years away including this one from being able to build proper.

The goal should be to clear cap and garner picks/prospects in said time.

That gives you flexibility and multiple options to build the roster. 

IMO Miller and Horvat should go.

They should, but management needs to be replaced before any more roster moves.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

It's because the failure has been so BLATANT in such a short period of time. He did all the wrong things and the consequences have been IMMEDIATELY felt.

The team is really good at offense, I'll give you that. JT has a part of that. However, the weakness of our roster was in defense, specifically in the way the forwards. JT is the wrong player to have on a team like this.

We aren't defensively good enough. What did management do? Nothing.

From someone who defended Benning for eight years and probably would have given him eight more......

3o4h86.jpg

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1