The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Russo] Dumba Being Scratched Tonight a “Hockey Decision,” Trade Incoming?

AngryElf

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I know Dumba and Severson are far from elite and make a lot of sloppy Myers-like plays, but I'd take them both right now for a couple of our wingers if they're going.

Boeser for Dumba, Miller for Severson

Would fix a lot of our current problems (and probably make some new ones), but we'd be better off.

Sorry, but NO. Those are just two really bad, desperation type trades.  

If you're trading those two, you should be able to get much better than that.

If not, the entire management crew needs to be fired, including yourself.

22 minutes ago, Provost said:

For me to want Dumba, it would have to be at a huge discount form his current salary and intended for the 3rd pairing.  I would do the deal JUST for the cap space in the offseason.

With another year of flat cap, having that space means you can make a trade for a Marino/Bjorkstrand kind of player for pennies on the dollar who teams need to shed to afford raises.

That is all contingent on the league and PA not coming to an agreement to artificially raise the cap this offseason even though they haven't fully paid off what they owe the owners.  No one has talked about it beyond just in passing, but I suspect they may give a $2-4 million boost this offseason once they are more sure of the numbers.  The players have "almost" paid off what they owe, and the current agreement would mean a limit of a $1 million increase next year, but likely bump up by $4-6 million each of the consecutive years based on the calculation of HRR over the previous two seasons.  The PA may do it because free agents will have difficult times getting contracts this year, but the ones coming up the next two years will absolutely cash in once the cap space becomes available.

Honestly, for me, I think I would have to see the Wild sending something back than just Dumba. Boeser is a better player at this point. He had an injury in camp and had a rough start, but he's been getting better as the season goes on.

16 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Honestly, for me, I think I would have to see the Wild sending something back than just Dumba. Boeser is a better player at this point. He had an injury in camp and had a rough start, but he's been getting better as the season goes on.

But if it means there is now monies to sign Kuz, bring it on.

58 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Depends on what teams are offering, I was reading something the other day Minnesota needs other teams to "make it make sense" for them. https://zonecoverage.com/2023/wild/what-makes-sense-for-the-wild-in-a-dumba-trade/#:~:text=One executive said that when,will play in the room.

They could treat Dumba as their own rental, but I don't think a hockey trade is outside the realm of possibility. It also depends on whether they want to retain him and whether he wants to stay, which they've probably got a pretty good understanding of at this point. 

Makes sense that they wouldn't want to weaken their D, but if he's not in next season's plans a move could make sense too. 

They can't retain him next season - they don't have the cap space and will actually have to move money out in the off-season after signing Boldy.  Dumba told Guerin that Minnesota is home but he knows that his days are numbered.   

Saw that quote but it sounded like Guerin was talking of the now - he was talking these playoffs and not down the road.  He said that if they trade him they would need a D in return to replace him.  It can be a domino trade where they get picks/prospects and then trade for a replacement in a subsequent move but they aren't going to create a hole on D because he's an upcoming UFA.  That's why I don't really expect them to trade him and instead keep him as their own rental.  

There is always a balance to make it work for both sides.

Maybe we do something like Dumba and Simon Johansson (RD prospect) for Boeser (1M retained each year) and Schenn.  Minn gets a longer term asset in Boeser for a slight discount and a playoff ready D for their push.  We get an RD to see how he pans out this year in Dumba and a prospect for depth at RD (Yes he is more offensive than defensive).

If Dumba is an improvement on Myers we can sign him for a lower cap amount (3Mx2 maybe?)and trade Myers in the final year of his contract to again help free up cap space.  If he's a complete liability and not a fit, then we can just free up cap space.  There are options here that work for both sides.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mll said:

They can't retain him next season - they don't have the cap space and will actually have to move money out in the off-season after signing Boldy.  Dumba told Guerin that Minnesota is home but he knows that his days are numbered.   

Saw that quote but it sounded like Guerin was talking of the now - he was talking these playoffs and not down the road.  He said that if they trade him they would need a D in return to replace him.  It can be a domino trade where they get picks/prospects and then trade for a replacement in a subsequent move but they aren't going to create a hole on D because he's an upcoming UFA.  That's why I don't really expect them to trade him and instead keep him as their own rental.  

That's riiiight, I forgot about Boldy. 

They could, hard to say. They would need a D, maybe they move him in a trade for someone who's less proven but who has a smaller cap hit. Hard to say. Maybe a team wanting to go for it this season would be willing to make such a move, I've no doubt the Wild likely don't view themselves as a contenders right now so I could see them being something that benefits them more on longer term basis, even if said players only had a season or two on their deal. They're in cap hell the next two seasons but it's possible that they could accommodate a smaller cap hit by moving out someone else. 

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

But if it means there is now monies to sign Kuz, bring it on.

So, my personal priorities are (in order of priority):

Move Miller - 1st round pick and #2 RD (Yes, I really think he's still worth that)

Move Boeser - 1st round pick or solid defensive prospect who's ready to play in the NHL

Move Garland - 2 x Bottom 6 forwards

Move Schenn - 2nd round pick from a contender, let him chase another cup - resign him in summer

Move Stillman - whatever we can get for him as a draft pick, he doesn't seem to fit here

Move Myers (don't think he can be moved till his bonus is paid) - whatever we can get

Move OEL (we can't afford his cap hit on the left side. Need to spread cash around more evenly. Even if he was playing well, we still need to move him) - Whatever we can get

Sign Horvat 8 yrs x 8 - 8.5 per

Sign Kuzmenko 4 yrs x 6M per

Sign Bear 3 yrs x 2M

Sign Dermott 2 yrs x 1.75

Not looking at UFA's who are coming up this summer from other teams as we don't know who will be available.

Make room for Bedard so he can join the team next season :) (Think positive, it's our year for once!) 

24 minutes ago, rekker said:

Even with salary retained?

They have to clear cap this off-season.  In his presser following the Boldy signing this week Guerin was talking about how they'll have to make tough decisions this off-season given their cap situation.  They have 9.3M in cap space with a roster of only 14 and RFAs in need of raises and UFAs they'd like to bring back.  Speculation by Smith and Russo is that they could be moving Greenway in the off-season to create some room.  

41 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Move Miller - 1st round pick and #2 RD (Yes, I really think he's still worth that)

Move Boeser - 1st round pick or solid defensive prospect who's ready to play in the NHL

Move Schenn - 2nd round pick from a contender, let him chase another cup - resign him in summer

Move Stillman - whatever we can get for him as a draft pick, he doesn't seem to fit here

Move Myers (don't think he can be moved till his bonus is paid) - whatever we can get

Move OEL (we can't afford his cap hit on the left side. Need to spread cash around more evenly. Even if he was playing well, we still need to move him) - Whatever we can get

Sign Bear 3 yrs x 2M

Not looking at UFA's who are coming up this summer from other teams as we don't know who will be available.

Make room for Bedard so he can join the team next season :) (Think positive, it's our year for once!) 

41 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Sign Bear 3 yrs x 2M

Boom, I like you as the new GM

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That's riiiight, I forgot about Boldy. 

They could, hard to say. They would need a D, maybe they move him in a trade for someone who's less proven but who has a smaller cap hit. Hard to say. Maybe a team wanting to go for it this season would be willing to make such a move, I've no doubt the Wild likely don't view themselves as a contenders right now so I could see them being something that benefits them more on longer term basis, even if said players only had a season or two on their deal. They're in cap hell the next two seasons but it's possible that they could accommodate a smaller cap hit by moving out someone else. 

The lower cap hit doesn't really matter though - they have so much deadline cap space.  Most of any playoff team which is pretty amazing given their buyouts' dead cap. They can add over 16M in contracts at the TDL and remain cap compliant this season.  The Wild believe Faber can play top-4 - he's already ear-marked as their Dumba replacement next season.

This past off-season Guerin explained that they are in between phases.  No longer at the stage where they are chasing picks/prospects (they now have a top-5 prospect pool) but not yet at the stage where they are ready to sell their picks/prospects to go for it.  His mandate is to build a perennial contender.     

In his mid-season presser this week he said that he thinks they can compete in the playoffs this year and it's the team that will tell him what he needs to do at the TDL.  He talked of possibly adding if the team is doing well.  They might not be willing to spend much just yet (ie he's unlikely to carve into their prospect pool) but he still expects them to win.  The West is there for the taking.