The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If Management sign a new Coach, then we know the Ownership group is interfering

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

Coaching change a good idea?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Should the team fire Boudreau and hire a new head Coach?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/22/2023 at 08:35 AM

4 hours ago, Alflives said:

Owner went to Vegas to meet with Tocchet. Not sure that’s interfering, but more needing to talk to the guy JR has wanted for the job since he arrived.  

Seems that JR is just padding himself with a bunch of his "YES-Men" buddys. I'm not impressed with PA so far and I'm really starting to wonder if he's just paying back old friends and debts by gifting all his old pals with canuck jobs for their past support before he retires in 2 years.  Hope that doesn't turn out to be the case ?  I always get suspicious when new bosses bring in their complete "old-team" from past employers.   Hmmmmm???

I’m voting “yes,” but definitely not because I want Bruce fired or Tocchet hired.

The team should fire Bruce because management clearly doesn’t have confidence in him. And they don’t feel (and never have) that he coaches the team to play the style and system they want.

It’s well within their rights to put someone in place who will coach the team the way they want it coached. 

You just can’t have that kind of misalignment between management and the coaching staff. It clearly doesn’t work. And it’s just a bad look for everyone involved. 

While I’ve generally been in favour of letting this season play out and waiting for the offseason, I’m starting to come around to the idea that they need to make the coaching change now (or should have done it sooner, even).

Not for any coaching bump or to try to salvage the season. That’s just stupid. This season is over.

But with all the leaks and public statements, it’s just not fair to Bruce to have to continue showing up for work. So pull the damn trigger, already. At this point, it would be a mercy. 

And if Rutherford is serious about doing “major surgery” on this roster, then they probably need to get the new coaching staff in place now. Whoever is going to be coaching this team moving forward should some input on what players they want to keep, and believe they can win with, and which ones need to go. Same goes for what kinds of additions need to be made, especially when it comes to targets on upcoming trade returns.

If management is bound and determined to get rid of Bruce and hire their own guy, then just get it done and do it now.

Get the new staff in. Let them get a feel for these players and this roster. And then start making the changes, with the help of the best assessments possible from the new coaches (who will actually have to coach this team after the changes), to complement the work that management and the scouts need to do to actually reshape this team.

EDIT: I’m just trying to be pragmatic, I suppose. I’m really not too thrilled about the rumoured new coaching staff hires. And I’m really not all that convinced this management’s “retooling” plan has much of a chance of succeeding. But I can’t change any of that. It is what it is. So let’s just get on with it. 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, dr.naughtypants said:

Ownership hired this coach. Bruce was in place before all the new managers. So the topic of this post doesn't really make sense.

The team was not going to pick up the option on the second year for Bruce as was and continues to be stated by management that Bruce is not providing the coaching they want.

After last season's rally and the media / fan love in with Bruce there was no way the management group was going to be a part of the PR disaster by not picking up his option. And Bruce deserved another shot after the limited success of last season.

They will bring their own people in soon, part of their plan moving forward just taking time.

• Cheers 1

13 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Rutherford is the root cause of the toxic environment and the convicted felon he wants as a coach won't help either.  

not that it matters, but he isnt a felon. a criminal yes, but a felon no. certain more serious gambling crimes are considered felony's, tocchet's was not, it was considered a third degree gambling charge. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

Why do you assume its about getting a bump?

I think its more about hitting the ground running for next year/getting a plan in place and trying to mitigate a toxic work environment.  

There has been numerous reports that ownership has no hand in hiring/firing the coach-JR has full autonomy if/when.

Why did JR assemble an inexperienced team? The performance this season shows that the team has made a ton of mistakes, some of which could be fire-able, such as not leaving enough room for Horvat's re-signing.

7 hours ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

The team was not going to pick up the option on the second year for Bruce as was and continues to be stated by management that Bruce is not providing the coaching they want.

After last season's rally and the media / fan love in with Bruce there was no way the management group was going to be a part of the PR disaster by not picking up his option. And Bruce deserved another shot after the limited success of last season.

They will bring their own people in soon, part of their plan moving forward just taking time.

It is a PR disaster now. If management paid attention to what the fans are complaining about, it's not Boudreau. Therefore, management is NOT actually responding according to what fans want.

Any fan that thinks we can be "retooled" is delusional. BTW, that word was also the reason why we got into trouble. If JR had any understanding of this fanbase, it's NOT to use that word. However, it seems that he thinks a coach hire in the middle of the season will be a necessary response to this team's performance.

They are doing surgery on the wrong part of the body lol. These "doctors" don't know what they're doing.

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Bad_BOI_pete said:

not that it matters, but he isnt a felon. a criminal yes, but a felon no. certain more serious gambling crimes are considered felony's, tocchet's was not, it was considered a third degree gambling charge. 

Like him or not it is always a low blow when people bring out the personal life stuff that has no bearing on the team or what the individual brings to their roles. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

2 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Like him or not it is always a low blow when people bring out the personal life stuff that has no bearing on the team or what the individual brings to their roles. 

He copped a plea and charges were dismissed. How many years ago? As a hockey coach and definitely as a player he has cred. If he is hired then fans should watch. 

If Tochett is going to be hired then it should be done sooner than later. He comes in and can take the team to the season finish. He gets to know the players. He has the experience of Arizona which should give some insight in to coaching young players. 

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

He copped a plea and charges were dismissed. How many years ago? As a hockey coach and definitely as a player he has cred. If he is hired then fans should watch. 

If Tochett is going to be hired then it should be done sooner than later. He comes in and can take the team to the season finish. He gets to know the players. He has the experience of Arizona which should give some insight in to coaching young players. 

Tochett can do some of the tough love that will likely be needed. As long as he drops down to the #5 pick or better I will be happy. 

10 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Tocchet hasn't done well with Arizona at all. If anything, he is the last person who should be coaching this team.

Bruce let the players play. Let 'em loose to do their thing. That hasn't worked. How many times we see all five skaters getting caught up ice and leaving poor Delia or Martin to defend. 

Tocchet will be more demanding, he'll have more structure. I can see Tocchet, Miller and Hughes getting along, and Miller's game excelling under Tocchet. Miller and Hughes want to win and it's probably been frustrating for them and others on the team, with how loosey-goosey things have been, and the constant losing. Maybe some of their team mates not giving full focus or effort. As much as I like Bruce, I think this will be a good coaching change.  

10 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

hate how management has treated and continues to treat Bruce this season.  Hate it. They are absolute scumbags for stringing him along.

Not only stringing him along, but also, if this is any indication of "who's in charge" and how they act, these clowns are a flippin' joke. These guys are making multi-millions a year and they act like amateur hour. There is no real integrity or professionalism. BB deserves much, much better. I would fire these clowns asses in a heart beat. 

Its clear from the poll that the fans understand at this point making a coaching change is a less than useless maneuver.

The team is going nowhere fast... and the smartest thing for management to do is to let them drop in the standings and take high picks they'll get.

If instead, they fire Boudreau and hire someone else, then we know for sure someone with his hands on the money bags is interferring.