The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] [Discussion] Management vs Coaching

Rate this topic

VegasCanuck

Who would you like to see stay or go?  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There's been a lot of discussion in a number of threads, I'm just wondering how does everyone feel about Boudreau vs the rest of the Canucks Management team. Personally, I think Boudreau was pretty much setup this season to fail by the fact that very little was done to address our defensive transition game in the off season.

I believe that management signed specific players at forward, believing that they would be able to pull off trades that would improve in other places, but that doesn't change the fact that it didn't happen and now we have a pretty good mess.

The Possibilities in the Poll are pretty straight forward, would you prefer to fire the Management, Coaching staff, Both or Neither.

People I'm assuming that we'd like to keep, collectively as fans, Stan Smyl (lifetime Canuck) Ian Clarke (I think he's the best goalie coach in the league if not world).

Edited by VegasCanuck

IMO, I wouldn't fire Boudreau, but I'm not sure that I would re-sign him after this season. I like him as a personality and he definitely connects with the players.

I think I might offer him a position with the team, mentoring / consulting etc and bring in a full new coaching staff for next season.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

IMO, I wouldn't fire Boudreau, but I'm not sure that I would re-sign him after this season. I like him as a personality and he definitely connects with the players.

I think I might offer him a position with the team, mentoring / consulting etc and bring in a full new coaching staff for next season.

That doesn't happen unless Rutherford is replaced with someone capable of conducting himself appropriately.

• Like 2
  • There it is 1

I don't want them to fire Bruce but at this point it'd be a mercy, he knows he won't be coming back. It's an ugly scenario and it's largely management's fault for stoking the flames. I'd be okay letting him ride out the season though but management would need to openly commit to that. Bringing in another coach isn't going to do anything at this point and there should be a larger pool of coaches later, I'd rather we take a more thorough approach. 

Aqua needs to screw off though, we don't need Francesco meddling and personally getting involved in hires. Let JR work, that's why you're paying him. 

I like Bruce, I was advocating for him to be brought in before Green was let go. That being said, he's probably not the right coach going forward although it's hard to say who is. Whether management wanted it or not we should probably be looking at a rebuild, they can call it a retool if they'd like but it'll probably be a rebuild. Maybe not a scorched earth version but yeah. So much for contending in two years eh? Was always a load of crap. 

It's only been a year but management hasn't won over the fanbase. Turning over the roster and undoing some of what Benning did was always going to take more than a single offseason but management really seems to have alienated themselves from the fanbase. I for one don't have a whole lot of confidence in them. Guess we'll see what they do next. 

Management needs to realize that the BC market, while overzealous and several other things, isn't stupid. They're not gonna pull wool over our eyes. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

I think you need to stipulate things to be done right now cause I want to clean house with management and sadly that would entail Brice being gone next season to avoid this fiscal again. 

So I choose the last option as that will entail what will happen when getting rid of this whole management team. 

• Cheers 2

Lest we forget this was said LAST year.

image.png.a004d6e81c514eb6ddc44859deb00cb8.png

Source: https://canucksarmy.com/news/analyzing-patrik-allvinrjim-rutherford-diverged-original-plan

image.thumb.png.35027489fdfb030e51d5bf9c51c79d6b.png

Have we not learned our lessons when someone says this? An accelerated retool DOES NOT WORK. Anaheim spent years rebuilding (almost done). Coyotes are rebuilding - started last year. Edmonton has been cycling between rebuild and retool. Detroit's rebuilding.

All of this takes years.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Source: https://canucksarmy.com/news/analyzing-patrik-allvinrjim-rutherford-diverged-original-plan

Have we not learned our lessons when someone says this? An accelerated retool DOES NOT WORK. Anaheim spent years rebuilding (almost done). Coyotes are rebuilding - started last year. Edmonton has been cycling between rebuild and retool. Detroit's rebuilding.

All of this takes years.

To be fair to JR at that time, had he not re-signed Miller and trader him and Horvat by now or around this time, we could realistically turn this around 2 years from now (2024-2025 season). 

Unless they pull a rabbit out of their hat and managed to trade Miller, think that boast has sailed. 

Edited by 24K PureCool

4 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

To be fair to JR at that time, had he not re-signed Miller and trader him and Horvat by now or around this time, we could realistically turn this around 2 years from now (2024-2025 season). 

Unless they pull a rabbit out of their hat and managed to trade Miller, think that boast has sailed. 

I believe if he had traded Miller, we wouldn't be so screwed, but that is on him, not anyone else. Yet people are still finding excuses to defend JR by blaming the previous regime (lol), even though it was JR who said we were basically a few pieces away from the playoffs. At the same time, the cap situation was WELL KNOWN to JR when he came in.

What did he do?

He spent like a kid at a candy store. Make no mistake, Kuzmenko and Mikheyev were good signings. Lazar was okay, but doesn't move the needle at all.

Then he re-signs Miller - AFTER saying we needed to make cap space.

So he trades Dickinson away in exchange for a 2nd round pick. AFTER saying he wasn't interested in trading picks, except lower round ones.

This management is BRUTAL.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Not firing Boudreau is exactly what management has done this year.  They just keep saying they'll get rid of him while not actually doing it.  He should've been fired immediately after management lost confidence in him instead of humiliating him in press conferences.

For the record, Bruce is the wrong coach for this team.  As likeable as his personality is to the squad and to the media/fans, the players have given up on him.  He can't get anything out of them right now.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Dazzle said:

All of this takes years.

This is exactly correct.  

Option #7 in this OP should be about ownership allowing a different direction. 

None of the above. Ride out the reason with this coaching staff, sell at the deadline, make moves over the summer, reevaluate closer to next season. That would be my preference.

I'm hoping the new coach has been brought in to implement systems with the winkwink that we don't really need to win many games and it's the process that matters. Not realistic, but that's my current hope.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, combover said:

I’m not liking JR 

I don’t think we can even fairly judge PA I doubt he gets two words in without grandpa spouting off about how it use to be.  

JR reminds me of keenan time here.

no body will be sad he’s gone 

Yup.  Benning might have been incompetent as a GM, but he came across as a decent person and likeable.  JR not so much. Don’t know what our owner was thinking, unless JR was the only experienced person who would agree to follow the owner’s concept of “retool” to win now? 

My gosh, the chaotic mess left behind by Benning is challenging. They can't trade any of the players, because other teams don't have cap space or the contracts handed out or inherited by Benning are terrible and unmovable.  So, the Canucks are stuck with these players and they're not a good team this season. But eventually, they will make a trade or two, the Horvat situation will be settled (he might even be re-signed, or not) and in the off season they'll probably buy out a player. It's going to take time to unravel the mess and right the ship. 

JR was skeptical with last years;' wins down the stretch. He wanted to give Bruce this season to see if that was an anomaly or if he could actually coach them to a playoff spot. The whole team was so confident in the off season. Boeser declaring HE WILL score 30 goals this year. Yeah, sure Brock. What do you got, 9 goals at the halfway point? Maybe what hurt them most is Demko not being good and then getting injured long term. He saved their bacon many many times over the years, and now this team is being exposed as BAD (unless they have stellar goaltending, then they're okay).