The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Edmonton Oilers at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 21, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

These are some weird, dark times for Canucks fans man. This while situation is just uncomfortable....hoping there are brighter days ahead. Will it get worse before it gets better? Like most....I've really been caught off guard with how bad this team is....

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • There it is 2

7 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Firing is normal. It's the way they dragged it out and let it fester. That no matter what is unprofessional. If Tocchet had obligations and couldn't take over at a certain time.

They should have looked for another candidate then. It just shows very poor planning. And really looks bad for a sports franchise.

They should have just had one of the assistant coaches be the interim head coach like many other teams do. 

16 minutes ago, Odd. said:

What are these systems you speak of? 

Systems have been engrained to these individuals since peewee. Bruce is 2nd in NHL history in win percentage. Do you know how incredible of a feat that is? He’s coached for 50 years. He’s coached more games, been around hockey longer than I’ve been alive for (27 y/o). In what ways did he lack structure? 

Coaches don’t just lose their coaching ability like a player loses playing ability. Like Schenn said, there’s only a handful of systems in hockey. Being able to execute lies within the players. Our players are not good players. This wasn’t a coaching issue at all. 

If a coach like Bruce can’t win games with this team, how do you suppose a losing coach like Tocchet will do?

Exactly

When a team plays a strong, structured system they work as one organism, always knowing where everyone is within that structure.  When you get the puck, you know where your teammates are going to be, you don't have to guess and you know you e got support.  Players don't cheat and they don't cut corners because if one player cheats it all breaks down.  

BB has never been a systems coach and that's the main reason he's not particularly successful in the playoffs..........you don't win with offense, you win with defense and successful teams play strong, disciplined team defense.

Can you really watch this team play in their own end and tell me that the coach has any kind of cohesive, coherent defensive system of play?  They're all over the place, fwds cheat like crazy, leaving their dmen in no man's land with little to no puck support shift after shift after shift.  

watch Abbotsford, they play a very disciplined, very structured system and the difference between the two clubs is very obvious.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Firing is normal. It's the way they dragged it out and let it fester. That no matter what is unprofessional. If Tocchet had obligations and couldn't take over at a certain time.

They should have looked for another candidate then. It just shows very poor planning. And really looks bad for a sports franchise.

Either that or they really wanted Tocchet. In any event they could have let BB go and just had an assistant coach carry on until Tocchet was available. My curious question is whether this whole scenario is being crafted to lower expectations of the team and management so that even small victories in the future will be +++. Also wondering if other teams will view what has gone on as an opportunity to pluck a deal from the carcus? At the end of the day who JR & PA bring back in future deals will be their legacy not the crap that led to it. 

Edited by Boudrias
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Oh looks like they finally remembered they actually have to fire him.

Nice of them to finally get around to telling him what’s going on.,.

If I were Bruce, I would just not show up. A big last middle finger to this management group

Goaltending is bad, and seeing Miller's frustration on the bench after they got scored on again, says it all. The players are working hard at times and really trying and then Martin lets in a softie. It's got to be crushing. 

Maybe this goaltending will help the Canucks get into the Top 5 at the Draft

13 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

These are some weird, dark times for Canucks fans man. This while situation is just uncomfortable....hoping there is brighter days ahead. Will it get worse before it gets better? Like most....I've really been caught off guard with how bad this team is....

I think it will. I have faith in this management group to turn things around (unlike some other posters here). They are experts in their field and have had to deal with a big mess left behind by JB and the flat Cap. I’m sure they have a good idea now with what they have and what they need to do. 

Team’s surgery has just begun. There will be a lot more moves happening. Some will hurt at the moment but in the long run, it will be for the better.

The team will play like a team again, we will learn defence and we will get new players on the roster, picks and futures.

Darkness for now but there will be light in the future. 

Edited by grandmaster
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

I think it will. I have faith in this management group to turn things around (unlike some other posters here). They are experts in their field and have had to deal with a big mess left behind by JB and the flat Cap. I’m sure they have a good idea now with what they have and what they need to do. 

Team’s surgery has just begun. There will be a lot more moves happening. Some will hurt at the moment but in the long run, it will be better.

The team will play like a team again, we will learn defence and we will get new players on the roster, picks and futures.

What big mess?  The one that needed two easy, obvious moves to fix?  The one that would have resolved itself in a year regardless?

The mess is on this regime, not the old one.

• There it is 1

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Either that or they really wanted Tocchet. In any event they could have let BB go and just had an assistant coach carry on until Tocchet was available. My curious question is whether this whole scenario is being crafted to lower expectations of the team and management so that even small victories in the future will be +++. Also wondering if other teams will view what has gone on as an opportunity to pluck a deal from the carcus? At the end of the day who JR & PA bring back in future deals will be their legacy not the crap that led to it. 

Not so sure.  Keenan is still remembered for his character issues over the return from Linden.

3 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Team’s surgery has just begun. There will be a lot more moves happening. Some will hurt at the moment but in the long run, it will be for the better.

I hope they handle the rest of the “surgery” with more professionalism, so far it looks like a botched boob job

• There it is 2

Just now, Muttley said:

You can have all the firepower in the world but if the defense is weak because of poor construction and players that really have no desire to play till it hurts because 

they have iron clad contracts. Tocchet can't fix that. LOL.  Anyone that knows anything should realize that JR was just waiting for the losses to pile up to the point

the playoffs were unattainable.  Would cutting their goals against been easier with a healthy Demko in net 4 out of 5 games? Do teams play differently knowing 

the netminder is A-one and dependable?  I fear Tocchet will simply be an older version of Travis Green.  

The defense is only as good as the system the coach deploys.  A well defined structured system is the equalizer, it is meant for teams (or dcorps) that are the lower end of the talent scale.  A strong, structured system takes the onus off the individual player and truly makes it a team game. 

That's what makes small countries like Finland so successful on the international stage, they overcome individual short comings with a strong team game.  

• Like 1
  • There it is 2

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Goaltending is bad, and seeing Miller's frustration on the bench after they got scored on again, says it all. The players are working hard at times and really trying and then Martin lets in a softie. It's got to be crushing. 

Maybe this goaltending will help the Canucks get into the Top 5 at the Draft

Well all of Millers turnovers during man advantages are a big help too. Also his lack of effort on the back check.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

The defense is only as good as the system the coach deploys.  A well defined structured system is the equalizer, it is meant for teams (or dcorps) that are the lower end of the talent scale.  A strong, structured system takes the onus off the individual player and truly makes it a team game. 

That's what makes small countries like Finland so successful on the international stage, they overcome individual short comings with a strong team game.  

I do think the team keeps being let off the hook. To let them know they are serious, they have to start making serious moves involving the roster.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

9 hours ago, Down by the River said:

If you're thinking of donating money to charity, reconsider donating to Canucks for Kids Fund:

image.png.be51255129042fbd47ab0f22c1e140be.png

For every dollar you donate, just 9 cents will actually go to the cause. Your money will go a lot further to helping children if you look at more reputable charities. 

https://www.charityintelligence.ca/charity-details/532-canucks-for-kids-fund

Thank you for this link.

I'll check this out later- see if they have historical numbers as well.

Maybe the amount that actually reaches their charity has changed, as management/owner changed?