The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Edmonton Oilers at Vancouver Canucks | Jan. 21, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

Just now, Darius said:

I think Bruce made mistakes, and isnt the best coach when it comes to defence.  Green system was more conservative in both ends of the rink..wouldnt you agree?  Yet he also had to rely on stellar goaltending.  I think Bruce was more successful than Green (with healthy demko in net) because he emphasized the strength of the team - offence.

They need two top 4 dmen, a legit shutdown 3 c, and a couple of wingers that can play on lines 2 and 3 that are defensively responsible. You can try and trap your way out of this fact, but you will still be an average at best team that will put the fans to sleep and probably never win a round.  

A bit, but Green still wasn't a big systems coach, he was all about energy and momentum and being "hard to play against".  He was better with defensive play, but not a ton imo

No argument on what they need, but they have enough talent that they'd be in the playoff mix with any kind of structured play in their own end

• There it is 1

49 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Goaltending is bad, and seeing Miller's frustration on the bench after they got scored on again, says it all. The players are working hard at times and really trying and then Martin lets in a softie. It's got to be crushing. 

Maybe this goaltending will help the Canucks get into the Top 5 at the Draft

They have a kid who’s playing lights out in Abby I’m not sure what some of those guys have to do to get a shot hmm maybe fire the coach.

27 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Knowing this ownership and what management has said they wanna win a bunch of mean nothing games against easy opponents to create the illusion that the team is close again.

Renewing seasons tickets is the goal after all, not creating a winner.

I mean, seattle leads the division. do we really see that as an easy win?

44 minutes ago, stawns said:

Again, all the more reason to have a structured system and disciplined play.  Ive seen coaches do a lot better with a lot worse because of the system they use.  That's good exactly why systems are used, to even out the playing field for low talent teams

If you want to look at structure how about the Boston Bruins? Their game has carried them threw some weak years. You mentioned Finland which was bang on. 

• There it is 1

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

If you want to look at structure how about the Boston Bruins? Their game has carried them threw some weak years. You mentioned Finland which was bang on. 

And that's how NJ dominated through the 90's as well.  Brodeur was good, but it was the system that made him elite.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Darius said:

I think that relying on 2 backup goalies, at least one of which should be in the AHL, and a d core - at least half of which probably cant crack the lineup consistently on a good team, is a pretty big ask of any coach or system.  Bring back Scotty Bowman, give him Delia and Myers, and lets see what he can do lol.

Bruce emphasized offense, and probably isnt the best X and O coach in the d zone, but i think you are over estimating what any coach can do with this roster.  

One thing Benning did that I agreed with was prioritizing the net - usually 2 guys who could play.  

Ryan Miller, Marky, Demko, Holtby, Halak.  I know some of them didn’t work out, but the intention was there. 

Kind of fitting “Canuck luck” that the one year out starter goes down we don’t have an NHL caliber backup. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1