The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Bruce Boudreau, Trent Cull; name Rick Tocchet as head coach, Adam Foote as assistant coach, Sergei Gonchar as defensive development coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Prediction: We see the worst defensive effort of the season tomorrow night. :lol:

They have three coaches inside their head right now.

Green telling them to collapse back in a box the first sign of trouble, Boudreau telling them to jump up and be aggressive, and Tocchett telling them to play a balance.

• There it is 2

54 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Be nice if CGY or some other Pacific team did something stupid too, like maybe the head coach having no idea who their 1st round pick from 2019 is. :blink:

He knew exactly who he was. He was just poking him in the eye. Sutter is one nasty old prick. I cant believe he got back in the league

• There it is 1

4 hours ago, RWJC said:

Green had already been a soldier in the org before made head coach. Maybe that’s worth the extra? Hard to say, in retrospect not though hah

And he'd been head coach for 3 years at $1M per.   The $2.75M was the salary after his extension by Benning

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

It's interesting ... for years we've tried to take the nice guy approach, focusing on character, building a roster of nice guys, to a point that's really gotten ridiculous. 

It's often the not so nice guys that give a team certain levels of snarl, intimidation, grit, intensity, and pushback that nice guys can't (and won't).

Call them D-bags, call them toxic, etc, etc, but that's what those type of guys bring to the team. And we've lacked that in our team for years, going nowhere, and now we're getting laughed at by others even more so.

As much as I hated Bruce leaving - absolutely loved the guy - and hated the way it went down, we now have a management and a coaching staff that's bringing a much harder edge than we're used to experiencing. And it's uncomfortable. I mean, even Allvin piped up yesterday and pushed back, saying, well, he doesn't see any banners hanging from the rafters ... and he's right! 

Look, this is all uncomfortable and painful but, imo, we need to embrace the edge these guys are bringing to the team, because it's an edge we've needed in our game. With most eastern teams, culturally, this harder edge is expected and accepted by fans, which gives them an advantage.

This may be a disaster or it very well could be what we've needed. 

Thank you for pointing this out. I have been concerned for this for decades. We have been man handled over and over and people wonder why we aren't successful in the playoffs. Our stars have been pushed around and continue to be pushed around to this day.

Messier in 94, Marchand in 2011, Keith in 2012 and Ferlund in 2015 are some of the more notables and many of us know of others over the years.

These new guys coming in know 2 things we don't. They know snarly play and Cup success.

I have waited decades for these type of guys I just hope they can teach the team what they need to know to become successful, I am crossing my fingers.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Are you implying that's not a good enough reason?

I hope not, I'd me a mess if that was me. I like dogs more than people. 

Yeah, these people judging Bear are nuts. Definitely a good enough reason to miss a game and take some time away.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, johngould21 said:

. Mind you cap issues again have screwed this franchise for at least two more seasons.

almost $20 mill signed for next season, by the new management.

self inflicted wounds are the worst.

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

We should start to see these hard decisions unfold soon. They will weed out the soft and who's not onboard. 

We should have seen hard decisions made last season.

45 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

colour me shocked that people would be on their toes on the bosses first day.

Media already going for the low hanging "look things are getting better" trope.

3 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

It's interesting ... for years we've tried to take the nice guy approach, focusing on character, building a roster of nice guys, to a point that's really gotten ridiculous. 

It's often the not so nice guys that give a team certain levels of snarl, intimidation, grit, intensity, and pushback that nice guys can't (and won't).

Call them D-bags, call them toxic, etc, etc, but that's what those type of guys bring to the team. And we've lacked that in our team for years, going nowhere, and now we're getting laughed at by others even more so.

As much as I hated Bruce leaving - absolutely loved the guy - and hated the way it went down, we now have a management and a coaching staff that's bringing a much harder edge than we're used to experiencing. And it's uncomfortable. I mean, even Allvin piped up yesterday and pushed back, saying, well, he doesn't see any banners hanging from the rafters ... and he's right! 

Look, this is all uncomfortable and painful but, imo, we need to embrace the edge these guys are bringing to the team, because it's an edge we've needed in our game. With most eastern teams, culturally, this harder edge is expected and accepted by fans, which gives them an advantage.

This may be a disaster or it very well could be what we've needed. 

I don't know... this line especially reminds me of people rationalizing why they go into questionable dates with questionable people...

• Haha 1