The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks fire Bruce Boudreau, Trent Cull; name Rick Tocchet as head coach, Adam Foote as assistant coach, Sergei Gonchar as defensive development coach

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, Ballisticsports. said:

Tocchet saying it's not a quick fix

Take the rest of this season Rick ;)

Yeah, for all the elephant jokes, that idiom basically equates to a rebuild. It’s going to take time and a lot of steps. Sounds like we’re not trying to win this season, and have a long term view.

• elephant 1

3 minutes ago, IRR said:

That’s the thing…..I don’t agree with how they handled Bruce (made me sick), but the media 100% percent played a role and that’s a common theme with them in this market, but some want to ignore it. They are horrible in so many ways & this press conference is another example…they are just bad at their jobs. 

That is a common theme in any media and news reporting. 

You just don't like media, we get it. 

• Huggy Bear 2

I’m going to reserve my comments on hiring Tochett as a head coach,.  But even with a better line up than this..   I don’t think he’ll get the room.

I can appreciate more than anything defensive coaching changes,.  This aspect has been weak for many years.  Perhaps this group of D coaches are vocal to management about their player needs to establish a core of fearless back Enders.

The real issue is still with JR and an entire management group not moving away from players they should have last Summer.

(a small example of that would have been keeping or Re acquiring Motte and letting Boeser go home or trading him closer to that.)

Th pressure is still on this management group to make changes,  this coaching change is a smoke screen . 
Nothing  will change until that happens, proving moving away from Boudreau was wrong , and he deserved Management , namely Rutherford to do his job with player management,  and not cut down Bruce like he has since Rutherford’s arrival.

Rutherfords ego is inflated ,  he should retire.

it’s expected as he was only hired to bring in a management team,.   That is now bursting at the seams and doing very little it seems except look like henchmen and hags in the Brass Box.

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

A lot of it was just media speculation and intensity driving it.

But this is the lack of accountability that irks me.

Blaming others for his piss poor handling of things. He GAVE opportunity for speculation by not directly addressing things, as he should have. Let everyone (mostly, Bruce) know exactly what is happening and dispel the myths. It's not like the speculation was false...everyone knew but he was still trying to hide behind a wall of denial. Didn't want to be the bad guy...or at least outed as such. 

He gave a wishy washy bunch of bull less than a week ago:

“All I can say is that Bruce [Boudreau] is our coach right now,” Rutherford told media members, despite well-circulated rumours that Rick Tocchet is all but pencilled in as Vancouver’s bench boss moving forward. "But with that, I’m calling and talking, but don’t know that we’re making a change and don’t want to make a change.”

"I don't want to make a change"??  Horseshit.

That's where he lost us. He was in the process of making a change. And Bruce reportedly didn't get a memo. He should've been direct and said "yes, we're making a change and I've been talking to a potential replacement". AFTER telling Bruce that in person. That's how good Presidents handle business.

He created the mess...and owning it would've gone a long way for me. I don't like his deflecting and blaming. Media did it. Media was reporting on it while he sat on his hands and his phone.

And it would've been nice to have acknowledged Bruce with some appreciation with an in game message. It was crap.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

Too much finger pointing.  Every coach is fired amongst speculation...we always know who the next coach is way before it happens.  The team is not performing and we have three legends of hockey willing to deal with the scrutiny and media...all of whom are already wealthy so it's not for money...to come and make this special. 

I've noticed in the last 10 years everyone wants to have answers and complain and trash about every perceived slight.  In tochetts day you'd settle it on the ice without whining...I this the team amd the fans could use a bit of this.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Too much finger pointing.  Every coach is fired amongst speculation...we always know who the next coach is way before it happens.  The team is not performing and we have three legends of hockey willing to deal with the scrutiny and media...all of whom are already wealthy so it's not for money...to come and make this special. 

I've noticed in the last 10 years everyone wants to have answers and complain and trash about every perceived slight.  In tochetts day you'd settle it on the ice without whining...I this the team amd the fans could use a bit of this.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Yeah, for all the elephant jokes, that idiom basically equates to a rebuild. It’s going to take time and a lot of steps. Sounds like we’re not trying to win this season, and have a long term view.

This might have been the only actual bit of information he gave us and it's nothing we didn't already know 

They can dance around the rebuild word all they like but it looks inevitable at this point

Just now, Ronning4center said:

Firing is understandable. But the botched way they handled it has crappy optics.

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

2 minutes ago, Ronning4center said:

Well said