The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Andrei Kuzmenko

1 minute ago, Spoosh said:

Great news! Absolutely.

Now I really hope we get Bo signed and move on from other expensive players like Boeser at the TDL and Myers (buyout) in the summer. Garland has been pretty inconsistent but I think Tocchet will want to keep him around. Just a guess but he seems like he could find his game under the new coaching staff.

IF PA is able to jettison Boeser and Miller without attaching sweeteners, I'll give him full credit and respect....it isn't going to happen. 

I LOVE the kuz signing; great term and $$. The problem is the team doesn't have the $ available, and just showed their cards to the whole NHL. Canucks now NEED to get rid of salary, not just want to get rid of. Meanwhile, nothing has been done with the D.....

46 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Predictable response by Drance. 

It's all just designed to stir the pot.

D&D had David Pratt on a couple weeks ago and they all pretty much revealed that's the key to success in this market. I'm pretty sure Drance was on the same day and they were all echoing the importance of stirring the pot. And they were treating Pratt like some revered hero. That's how bad things have sunk.

And really, that's the only way any of our media gets any attention. And they laugh at fans while doing it too. 

It's just too bad people fall for their s***. 

• Upvote 2
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'd have moved him too

But we can move him in a couple years, odds are we'll still be towards the bottom or floating in no man's land 

That’s the thing I think some people are missing.

This is not the only time we can “cash in” on him.

If in two years this team still hasn’t made progress they can trade him to a contender. His value should be the same if not higher since he’ll have had two more seasons to prove he’s legit.

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Donnie was a lot more fun when he was a happy go lucky smart alek.  They let big ry talk too much and they’re just all so bitter now. 

Not many media people have been around as long as Don Taylor, so I can see why he is frustrated...I think all fans are but we have 0 input on what happens, so remain a fan and enjoy the ups with the downs or like some whiners...go jump onto the Kraken bandwagon but don't keep coming on here and posting, if you do what is the point...can't lose complete grip of being a Canucks fan!?

Get over it, a Cup is NOT in the Canucks near future with how the team is built and the poor prospect pool we have hence why we need to trade Bo for some good assets and I hope the GM allows Horvat to talk extension with teams if the return is better then you better allow teams to talk to his agent!

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, BC_Hawk said:

IF PA is able to jettison Boeser and Miller without attaching sweeteners, I'll give him full credit and respect....it isn't going to happen. 

I LOVE the kuz signing; great term and $$. The problem is the team doesn't have the $ available, and just showed their cards to the whole NHL. Canucks now NEED to get rid of salary, not just want to get rid of. Meanwhile, nothing has been done with the D.....

Don't think it's a secret the Canucks are wanting to shed salary.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

It's all just designed to stir the pot.

D&D had David Pratt on a couple weeks ago and they all pretty much revealed that's the key to success in this market. I'm pretty sure Drance was on the same day and they were all echoing the importance of stirring the pot. And they were treating Pratt like some revered hero. That's how bad things have sunk.

And really, that's the only way any of our media gets any attention. And they laugh at fans while doing it too. 

It's just too bad people fall for their s***. 

Pratt and his Poker is a sport argument.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

There's obviously scenarios where we are able to re-sign Bo.....the likelihood of them happening or not is another conversation altogether. 

I would bet  Boeser isn't a Canuck past the deadline, I will throw into that mix that we don't need to add a pick or prospect to do so. But it may be a struggling player for struggling player trade, or just Boeser for a pick. Just because some of our fans don't like him, doesn't mean other teams don't.

Ottawa liked Hamonic enough to give us a third... :lol: 

and we squandered that third away like magic beans on Dermott; a guy that would have been waived that week.

Just now, DeNiro said:

That’s the thing I think some people are missing.

This is not the only time we can “cash in” on him.

If in two years this team still hasn’t made progress they can trade him to a contender. His value should be the same if no higher since he’ll have had two more seasons to prove he’s legit.

I hope we do, I don't see us being a surefire playoff team in two years let alone a contender 

I don't expect us to be as lousy as we've been but I think some folks underestimate how challenging it is to acquire and build a quality defensive core 

6 minutes ago, hammertime said:

At what cost? he's basically the only player on the list who could return anything the rest we need to pay to move. By end of next year we will have to pay to move Kuzzi too I agree with @Shayster007 all signs point to him regressing. His shooting % is sooo unsustainable. 

Be careful, fans out for blood this morning for those using logic over emotions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Mustard Tiger said:

27 in 2 weeks. The entire hockey world has heard them say 25 and under and since then we have only signed 3 wingers who are all over 25 lol.

I already tried to paint myself as PRO kuz anyways so this is a good deal for us but now there isn't a chance we get our of boeser or Garland without paying big time to do so

Yeah, this management group can sign players but they're not very good at getting rid of contracts.

• There it is 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Not necessarily.

Some teams have depth on D but no depth a center. They can afford to trade young D men to fill holes at center.

There’s also young forwards on teams that are playing lower in the lineup because the team is so deep.

Those are the players we’ll look to acquire.

Maybe we need to level set. 

When you say 2 roster players around 25 what are you thinking / expecting? 

Top 6 or bottom 6?

I'm thinking a guy like Lane Pederson 25 yo playing in a deep Carolina system with a ceiling of a middle 6 forward. 

I have no doubt that hogz, klim Podz Karlsson will all outperform him. 

What I've seen in this latest trend of free agency is, you can still find vets who will outperform guys like Pederson at a minimal cap hit. 

Its a scary world for ufas. If you aren't a bonafide superstar, the salary / contract offers fall off a cliff. 

We already have Petey Kuz Mikheyev Miller Podz, Klim, Karlsson. Lekkermaki, Hogz (our 1st rounder this year) vying for a top 6 role. A 25 Yo cast off will not displace any of those guys. The top prospect on the other hand will / should. The draft also has no guarantees but I'd rather at least have a chance for a difference maker rather than trading for 2 guys that can later be filled in ufa... 

There are no guarantees but the real difference makers (top 4 D and top 6 forwards) need to come from the draft. 

1 minute ago, Shayster007 said:

Be careful, fans out for blood this morning for those using logic over emotions.

Yes I do not get it.Kuz is the player we wanted BB to be and he signed a great deal but people are mad we did not trade him? 

Shaking my head and wondering about some fans.  

This should be a happy day for all.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, IRR said:

I can’t stand Drance…..he’s ignorant, often wrong, negative & toxic! Can’t be happy about anything. Building a team means getting good / great players, but the media and some fans just want to get rid of them when we have them. Doesn’t that defeat the purpose?! 

I agree.  It seems that they are against the Canucks for whatever reason.  I'd love for a homer media reporter than being against them.  It is ok to criticize the team's moves but not anytime they get the fair value on any deal whether it be signings, trades or drafting or coaching changes except for BB mishandling in which I agree with them for once.  

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Moving Boeser and Myers would be enough to re-sign Bo at $8M AAV.  Would still have nearly $9M in cap space for next year if that were the case ($10M if we traded Schenn too).

Our defence would still be a mess, but maybe we can snag a RHD in UFA... like Severson or Mayfield.

We likely aren't moving Myers until the summer, at the earliest. That's too late to try to sign Bo. He needs to be signed or traded by the TDL.

I also wouldn't give Bo $8m. My max would be $7.5 and that wouldn't be max term (prob 5-6 years), or with trade clauses.

And Schenn doesn't give us $10m as you need to spend ~$1m minimum just to replace him. Same largely goes for Boeser/Myers. You're only adding, at best, $6m as you need to replace them as well.

• Cheers 2

Great deal, steal getting him under 6M, as bad as management have been, they're good at their cap management and haggling players down. I'm sure they'll get Bear back on a cheap deal too.

With Bear, assuming he gets at least a 1M rise, thats 8M in rises next offseason and only 2.4M in dead cap and Bo's 5.5M coming off the books. We're still going to have to move cap. Lots of changes still needed.

Of course flipping Miller would fix a lot of problems still...

Regardless, 5.5M for Kuz, 5M for Mik and Petey at 7M is a great top line.

Next year our 2nd line will probably be Boeser, Garland and Miller good for 19M, more than our top line and a lot worse.

Then our 3rd line of (enter 3C here), Hoglander and...Podkolzin? Probably will cost us 4M.

Finally a 4th line of 3M in total.

• Like 1