The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Andrei Kuzmenko

1 minute ago, Provost said:

I can’t even inform an opinion on this without the context of what else happens in the offseason.

In complete isolation and excluding any potential outside context this is a pretty good deal.  Lower cap hit than what he is producing, but fair for his limited resume and just not knowing how much he is driving the play vs. just getting a Petey bump.   The player gets a chance to become a UFA and cash in more while still fairly young at a time what there is a ton more money available system wide in the league.  We are easily going to have an $8-10 million cap ceiling increase by the time this deal expires (barring Covid23 happening).

IN context, I definitely like it a lot less.  If we have largely the same roster next season but are spending more cap hit for just Kuzmenko and Miller than we were this year on Kuzmenko, Miller, and Boeser… then it is a complete fail as we should have just gotten a return for the asset in Kuzmenko. We are terrible this year, so what makes anyone think we will be a playoff team next year by removing Horvat and giving his cap money to Miller and Kuzmenko.  Why allocate more money to wingers when that is the only strength of the organization both on the roster and in the pipeline.

I like the additions of Mikheyev and Kuzmenko a lot judt as hockey players and what they bring.  I am less sure about the opportunity cost of spending money on that position vs. Overhauling the defence.  For the same money, the team would have been a lot better with Marino than Mikheyev this year.

In a world where we can get a great return for Horvat, and somehow extricate ourselves from the cap hits of Boeser, Garland, Pearson, Myers, Poolman, and Stillman (without giving up assets or buying them out which will hurt us exactly when we have to re-sign Petterson)… then an excellent move.

They have to prove they can make those moves before I can applaud this one though.  Just in isolation, it seems a continuation of the Benning (lack of) strategy of falling in love with specific players and not considering overall team construction or timing for when we might have a competitive window.

1000%; my exact thoughts. Its not about individual signings anymore, its about how they fit into or inhibit a rebuild; this isn't a simple retool.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bad_BOI_pete said:

its not that we think we can do better than them, its that we think any other professional can do better than them...

there may be a few lost souls who think they could do a better job... I would point out who they were, but thats a rat move.

keep repeating your message and they will surely correct you given enough time.

funnily enough though i dont think its the regular armchair posters who are the self proclaimed enlightened ones... they just want a good conversation and hope to find people with like minds to discuss potential trades

Canucks office has been consistently been touted as "elite" by insiders and the media. They made incredible rounds last summer by bringing in female talent, by bringing in all sorts of consultants, experts, advocates etc. So in terms of awareness, statistics, metrics etc they are stacked. They even have Stanley Cup winning executives on the team, there is no doubt of their ability.

The way I see it if they can't get it done than no one else could too, it must be really tough to make trades or get good deals for anyone in the current NHL. This is just the new climate and most fans refuse to believe it so they cling to the idea it must be managment who is inapt rather than to accept authority and learn to respect authority as I have been doing all my life.

Edited by CanuckRookieFan

4 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Man, imagine if we did that trade in August! We could have had a D that resembled functional. Then, made the Carolina trade for the 5th with no retention.

Hughes-Jones

OEL-Bear

Dermott/Burroughs/Rathnbone-Myers/Schenn

Hummmmmmm

And, to be clear, I am actually being serious not just trying to sarcastic!

beavis and butthead 90s GIF

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, billabong said:

Personally, I’m really wondering if the Canucks will pull a Guerin like he did the Parise and suter and buyout the previous regime’s bad contracts with garland and OEL

If they want to eat almost $4.3 million in dead cap through 2031 sure why not

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

People think they can do a better job managing the cap or making arm chair trades is laughable. Canucks managment gets paid 7 figures a year to make these decisions, it's crazy to think a fan on a forum can offer a more informed, a better negotiated executed trade than an elite front office team of hockey experts. It's comical to keep thinking this Canucks are doing what any other GM is doing on other teams lets stop bashing the managment for how they choose to make their valuations or trade decisions. No matter what you think you know they know a lot more.

Im pretty sure looking at the last 8.5 years of management decisions any number of people here could do a comparable job of spending to the cap and drafting in the top 10 consistently 

Edited by Warhippy
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

Canucks office has been consistently been touted as "elite" by insiders and the media. They made incredible rounds last summer by bringing in female talent, by bringing in all sorts of consultants, experts, advocates etc. So in terms of awareness, statistics, metrics etc they are stacked. They even have Stanley Cup winning executives on the team, there is no doubt of their ability.

The way I see it if they can't get it done than no one else could too, it must be really tough to make trades or get good deals for anyone in the current NHL. This is just the new climate and most fans refuse to believe it so they cling to the idea it must be managment who is inapt rather than to accept authority and learn to respect authority as I have been doing all my life.

Wow, I think we found out JR's troll account. This FO hasn't handled anything properly. Kuz has been their biggest win, and I am not sure it actually fits well with where the team is at right now.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

ohhhh.... never mind.....

Rachel Dratch Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

People think they can do a better job than trading for Dickinson for a 3rd then paying a 2nd to move him?

I'm pretty sure looking at the last 8.5 years of management any number of people here could do a comparable job of spending to the cap and drafting in the top 10 consistently 

Like the Leafs and Coilers management have done over the years.

1 hour ago, Goal:thecup said:

Aren't the other teams going to have to give salary back?

They're in no condition to eat Boeser's and Myers' cap hits either.

The word from insiders is that Boeser could possibly be moved for a draft pick (2nd or 3rd rounder).  Myers would probably be moved quite easily in the offseason.  He'd only have 1 year left.

8 minutes ago, hammertime said:

So what worse contract are we taking back? Dude Brocks 6.65m is nuclear waste.

I don’t think the team would even get Jones for Brock. It would mean the team would have to trade picks and assets that the Nucks need even more than acquiring Jones. 

It doesn’t make sense.