The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Andrei Kuzmenko

Just now, hammertime said:

Can't tell if youre defending the signing by throwing Kuz under the bus?

I’m saying he’s more valuable to us playing on Petey’s wing.

This 1st round pick that may or may not have been offered is a fantasy. The value for these players is never as high as it should be. The players that teams covet at the deadline changes.

• There it is 1

9 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Everyone & their mother knew the Canucks were trading Horvat yesterday, it's not some new idea. This doesn't change anything imo

Speculation doesn't equal confirmed. Now it's confirmed. Hopefully it doesn't change anything, still a factor worth considering. 

To the people saying they would rather a 1st then a 30 goal scoring kuz.

Look at the list of Canucks first round picks outside of the top 10 in the last 20 years... hell look at all the picks besides petey Hughes and horvat 

This is a great move and contract by management 

Edited by BlakeQuinnAndEggs
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, VforVasili said:

Maybe, but do those statistics and comparable a factor in the fact that his is still an NHL rookie? Increasing comfort with the NHL game should surely offset a slight age related decline in this case, wouldn’t you think? 

I really don’t think those averages make much sense in this case. Likewise I think his unique situation probably deflated his value as a rental. Better to sign him. I am willing to bet it will prove to be a great signing. 

Gonna be like a jagr. Age nicely could put up points till 40. The next sedin twins.

Keep hoping for the other shoe to drop and to hear that Brock or Garland have been traded so we can pay for this.
Kind of handicaps us to be buying cap with prospects again if can’t.

Will be on the market looking to replace Bo at C with less cap space if we don’t move both since seems like Miller likely staying. 

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

So acquiring a 30-goal scorer for FREE is not even considered a base hit?

I would say it is a HOME RUN...

It is for sure a home run if they could turn him into a C or a Rhd. 

I love Kuzzi and his exuberance I would have no issue with the signing whatsoever for the record if we didn't just pay Brock 6.65m to play the same role except worse. 

We aren't contenders in the next 2 years. Kuzz is a luxury. If we were contenders right now I'd cough up the first to add him. But we aren't. He's one of the few trade chips we actually have that could return a long term gain and start us on a path to becoming a better team. Now we have another expensive winger and ho cap to fix our D or replace Horvat at C so it's subtraction by addition.    

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Speculation doesn't equal confirmed. Now it's confirmed. Hopefully it doesn't change anything, still a factor worth considering. 

The Canucks have already been talking with other teams on Horvat, that's not speculation. Consider it sure but I don't think theres much there, the reality of his availability has been known for awhile. 

19 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So acquiring a 30-goal scorer for FREE is not even considered a base hit?

I would say it is a HOME RUN...

Idk how people can be critical of this teams trades & signings, other than to say there haven’t been enough of them. Look what we got for free:

kuzmenko 

mikheyev 

johansson 

almost free:

bear 

I can’t really fault them for boeser either, contract was fair for what he has done up until that point. 

miller at 8m wasn’t a bad deal, that’s the going rate for a point per game guy. If people wanna see a bad deal, look at the Huberdeau contract. 

Kuz deal is a straight up steal. 

The nhl is now about asset management, something benning was terrible at, something this group seems to be extremely competent at. 

• Upvote 1

I would like to point something out. Historically, Vancouver was a no-go for Russian players (for different reasons: too far away, no other Russian players, weather, travel, and taxes). Finally, we got a good Russian for FREE, who is happy in Vancouver and fun to watch on the ice. No, let's screw up the chemistry in Vancouver for the future 2nd round, and nobody will come to play for us if we treat players badly. We always overpay in FA, but this is not an overpay by any measurement. Be happy and enjoy Kuzya and EP40 for the next two years at least.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Don't forget Joshua and Lazar.  They were free as well.  The problem with this management group isn't what they have done, it's what they haven't done.  They need to get alot busier over the next 6 months...

And studnicka was almost free too, 

I agree. I’m keen to see what they do with Horvat. If they nail that deal, they might just pull off the “retool”. 

• Cheers 1