The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Andrei Kuzmenko

18 hours ago, EB43 said:

Great deal, but can’t help but think the plan is to try and ice the same team next year..

I don't see how you could have that feeling based on their last press conference? They literally said this team needs way more changes and work than they had previously thought...."major surgery" was the term used.... sure doesn't sound to me like they plan on keeping the roster the same.

Edited by Harold Drunken

14 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

True. As fans we don't know what PA was getting for offers on Kuz. I don't think you can assume it was only a low 1st rdr. Canucks have insisted they want young prospects. In any event we aren't privy and obviously the offers not enough for PA to bite. As said previously there are others I would rather see traded. Your point about Petey is well taken. By this summer he will have to see a clear path forward for Canucks. I fully expect him to be the new captain

You're right, I can't. I'm just assuming it would've been a rental deal for a contender or a team on the playoff bubble trying to bolster their offense. 

I think Petey being the next captain is inevitable if Bo is traded. He's the right choice and our franchise player, possibly the most talented Canucks player of all time. 

Edited by HorvatToBaertschi
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

I don't see how you could have that feeling based on their last press conference? They literally said this team needs way more changes and work than they had previously thought...."major surgery" was the term used.... sure doesn't sound to me like they plan on keeping the roster the same.

Removing an elephant from the room is major surgery.  Sad to see Bo go, but it’s looking like he’s the first (and biggest) bite. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, RinkonRenfrew said:

Opening offer for Horvat was less than his current avg. The highest/last offer was reportedly well below 50 million - so 6 something per year? JR and PA rewarded Miller with a retirement contract for somewhat one-dimensional play on a career year. Seems like a pretty clear message to me if I’m Horvat, and he’s now doing what is valued most.

I don’t agree he’s been disrespected his entire career in Vancouver. It is very recent.

Sure, the true disrespect started more recently. I'd have time for the argument that over his entire career he was never given consistent wingers to play with. I know they tried, but not hard enough.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Life life said:

He could take discount,like some  Colorado Avalanche player.Cant have pie and eat it.

Mac's deal was market value at the time and for his performance to that point.  It looked like a hometown discount because exploded right after.  Could have had the same thing with bo, but gave Miller a retirement deal instead

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Shayster007 said:

Sure, the true disrespect started more recently. I'd have time for the argument that over his entire career he was never given consistent wingers to play with. I know they tried, but not hard enough.

Exactly right.  He got leftovers and was never given the chance to really show what he could do 

3 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

You reminded me, we also used to buy a paper copy of the NHL Records book, expensive and out of date almost immediately.

Now we are up to date immediately on everything, and it is, more or less, free.

We didn't even get all the Canucks games on TV; just now and then when CBC felt like it.

I keep a spreadsheet of Canuck stats, and update it every game (pretty much, sometimes there is a backlog of games).  I know it's all online, but I do it for fun (yes, I'm a dork).  But this reminds me of my teen years, scouring through those record books/almanacs for players that played with the Canucks so I could create my first Canuck stats spreadsheet.  I was super stoked when I got the Hockey Encyclopedia that came out in the late 90s for my birthday, that was when I could actually have it 100% filled.

Lol, I also remember updating hockey pool stats from newspaper boxscores....ah the simpler days.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

You're right, I can't. I'm just assuming it would've been a rental deal for a contender or a team on the playoff bubble trying to bolster their offense. 

I think Petey being the next captain is inevitable if Bo is traded. He's the right choice and our franchise player, possibly the most talented Canucks player of all time. 

I hope they don't give Petey the captaincy. He's our best player and we don't need to lumber him with extra responsibility that will only distract him. Give it to someone older and more vocal,my choice would be Schenn or even OEL.

9 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Really you have to concentrate on the found money component.  With Kuzmenko anyway.  

Last deadline we looked like we might squeak in to post season?  That is why we did not trade Miller at the deadline.  Maybe we tried in summer, maybe that was the Islander deal which got skuttled by (rumored Allvine) leaks to the media?  So that leaves two major roster moves we did make to break down;

* Re-signing Miller. 

* Signing Mikheyev.

Most of CDC, even though it seemed rich, seem content with Mikheyev.  Just not that we did not resolve a poor D.  Most of CDC seems content with minor moves such as Lazaar & Joshua.  It's the moves we did not make to create cap room, discard bad cap that everyone, even JR this week, is exceptionally frustrated with. 

As to just doing what Benning did?  Tinker;

Look, the cat is not out of the bag.  We are all set up to sell high on Horvat. Do we need three 80 point centers? It's not what I would have preferred?  Miller..., but moving Horvat will be our biggest move since trading for Luongo.  And it's not like we don't have some of the core parts, young, and still 2 or 3 years from their prime in Petey & Hughes. Demko in his prime now, if he recovers.  And I love the Kuzmenko recruitment, now re-signing!  I wouldn't be trading Pettersson & Hughes!

We also silently went in to tank mode as Demko went down, sending Podkolzin & Hoglander to the minors. Great athletes who will re-invigorate our middle 6 when they arrived, complete with better development. We fired a coach who was no better at running a penalty kill, than our management is at media relations? 

Trading our captain is waay more significant than tinkering!  

I think we were ok with Mikheyev and Lazar because we needed help on the pk. Its apparent to me that this is more coaching than the personnel

Management's desire to get young players instead of draft picks is going to result in an empty prospect pool. Why? Because all the players they want are older than what is found at the junior tiers. There is a severe lack of confidence for developing prospect, which is stupid because current management has the ability to change this.

In short, we are going to get a team that will have overagers and/or "vets" on a team and then once that's done, we will have an empty prospect pool once again.

I can't believe this management (which includes ownership) is THIS shortsighted.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Management's desire to get young players instead of draft picks is going to result in an empty prospect pool. Why? Because all the players they want are older than what is found at the junior tiers. There is a severe lack of confidence for developing prospect, which is stupid because current management has the ability to change this.

In short, we are going to get a team that will have overagers and/or "vets" on a team and then once that's done, we will have an empty prospect pool once again.

I can't believe this management (which includes ownership) is THIS shortsighted.

We'll be ok if we do NOT trade anymore 1st and 2nd round picks.  They also need to land 1 or 2 NCAA guys.  Three years of drafting and adding an NCAA prospect would restock pretty quickly.  In 2 years, our pool of top 10 prospects would consist of a minimum of:

2023 1st Round Pick

2024 1st Round Pick

2025 1st Round Pick

NCAA Prospect

2023 2nd Round Pick

2024 2nd Round Pick

2025 2nd Round Pick

Kuz signing an extension with us makes me feel better about the direction of the team. The fact that he did it shortly after Tocchet was hired might be a sign that he approves of the hire and thinks that the team will get better with him coaching. Or maybe he just likes the city and fat new paychecks. 

3 hours ago, Taphouse Canuck said:

I hope they don't give Petey the captaincy. He's our best player and we don't need to lumber him with extra responsibility that will only distract him. Give it to someone older and more vocal,my choice would be Schenn or even OEL.

I think Tocchet's coaching will go beyond the ice. He is playing nice with the Vancouver moron squad but that will end. Petey as captain. He is the natural. The press will get the famous Petey stare. I kinda feel sorry for them it a twisted way.

39 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I think Tocchet's coaching will go beyond the ice. He is playing nice with the Vancouver moron squad but that will end. Petey as captain. He is the natural. The press will get the famous Petey stare. I kinda feel sorry for them it a twisted way.

As long as Bo goes im good

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, amplified0ne said:

Probably means this team will have to either add assets, retain dollars, get pennies on the dollar to get rid of cap.  Its short sighted but understandable given his performance.  

This has no bearing on their trades.

They’ve already said they’ll use buyouts if they can’t clear cap. 

• Like 1