If we were to ever trade Dem, I would want:

1) a first and a second

2) a grade A prospect goalie 

3) a grade A prospect defenceman

He gets more than Bo because:

1) when healthy, he is a top 5 NHL goalie

2) excellent Cap hit for 2 more years 

3) not a rental

A goalie will never get more than Bos return. 

Yes Patrick Roy demanded a trade which gave teams leverage on Montreal, but still, it's Patrick freaking Roy.

Patrick Roy and CAPTAIN Mike Keane 

To the Avs for

Andrei Kovalenko, Martin Rucinsky and Jocelyn Thibault.

Thats like trading a healthy Demko and Horvat for

2 top 9 forwards and a back up goalie/fringe starter.

Demko gets you maybe a late first and that's it, maybe 2 later round picks and a young replacement goalie.

He's worth more on the Canucks.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Provost said:

Jarry is a UFA who they have not yet been able to re-sign.  Demko is cost controlled over the next few years on a really nice cap hit.  Demko has much more value.

I don't see them including Jarry though as the whole point is to improve their goaltending in the short term by adding Demko.  We can always try to sign Jarry as a UFA in the summer if he is available, but it makes no sense from either side to make him part of the trade.

Demko also has had two major injuries in his career and really hasn’t looked the same since his knee operation this past summer. I mentioned this in the other Demko thread, but I don’t think he can recover from this latest injury. Certainly not the level he’s capable of playing. At this point Jarry should have more value, despite being a pending UFA.

We can still get a team to take a flyer on him, especially a team like Ottawa (Bernard-Docker and a pick). But I don’t expect his value to be as high as people think it is. Just because of what he did in the bubble and last season. 

Trading Demko would be a mistake. The team has no one in the pipeline to replace him. He’s been reliable except for this season, which has been a garbage season from the word go. 

It would be unwise to trade Thatcher. Maybe instead this management group could give him an actual competent defense to play behind. I have a feeling Demko combined with a solid defense would do wonders for this team. Then again, this is Rutherfraud and Allvin. 

3 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Demko also has had two major injuries in his career and really hasn’t looked the same since his knee operation this past summer. I mentioned this in the other Demko thread, but I don’t think he can recover from this latest injury. Certainly not the level he’s capable of playing. At this point Jarry should have more value, despite being a pending UFA.

We can still get a team to take a flyer on him, especially a team like Ottawa (Bernard-Docker and a pick). But I don’t expect his value to be as high as people think it is. Just because of what he did in the bubble and last season. 

Um it's not just you who thinks that he can't recover its literally the consensus of the hockey community and the analytics staff. Thus the urgent need to look for suiters, obviously Demko will never be the same Demko.

Edited by CanuckRookieFan

1 minute ago, CanuckRookieFan said:

Um it's not just you who thinks that he can't recover its literally the consensus of the hockey community and the analytics staff. Thus the urgent need to look for suiters, obviously Demko will never be the same Demko.

What hockey community? Which analytics staff? A bunch of bloggers?

16 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

For just Demko I agree.

You take back a Petersen then you can get an improved return but still doubtful you get a A+ prospect or young solid roster player from a playoff contending/hopeful team. 

I wouldn't take any bad contract past 2024 preferably. Could live with a G till 2025 but preferably not and the return would need to be worth it. 

DeSmith + Kapanen both total exactly $5m (coincidentally EXACTLY Demko's hit) and both expire after 23-24 season. Just saying...

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

What hockey community? Which analytics staff? A bunch of bloggers?

Anyone who has access to behind the scenes discussions with the Canucks (which very few fans on CDC have). But if you do have insider knowledge you'll be sure to understand the Demko situation looks bleak.

25 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

For just Demko I agree.

You take back a Petersen then you can get an improved return but still doubtful you get a A+ prospect or young solid roster player from a playoff contending/hopeful team. 

I wouldn't take any bad contract past 2024 preferably. Could live with a G till 2025 but preferably not and the return would need to be worth it. 

Petersen is an interesting case because he'd basically be a two season stopgap at 5M per (not including the remainder of this season), the Kings would have to pay us to take him on but yeah, I don't think we'd be getting an A-A+ prospect or young player back

You're not getting Clarke, you're not getting Vilardi, maybe they give up Turcotte but I reckon not 

I still think it'd be more Grans + 2nd turning into maybe Grans + 1st or two 2nd's 

We're all spitballing around here but maybe something like

To LA

Thatcher Demko

2024 4th

To Vancouver 

Petersen 

Grans 

2024 1st

2024 3rd 

Taking on Petersen's 5M bumps up a 2nd to a 1st and a 3rd is added 

Could be a bit off, who knows, I don't think it'd be far off though as I see Grans as really good value on his own 

We give up a 4th to level out the trade a bit, or maybe we don't 

Edited by Coconuts

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

2020 bubble, most part of 2020-21(shortened year), all of 2022-23 he proved capable of playing like an elite NHL goalie.  Before that he was a developing goalie with unattained potential. He was an AHL, NCAA goalie and backup goalie for the most part prior to showing capable of playing like an elite NHL goalie. 

So he only proved capable of playing like elite NHL goalie the past 2-3ish years, for the most part. Anything prior to that he wasn't an elite NHL goalie and wasn't worth the same value he had when he has shown capable of playing like an elite NHL goalie.

His play this year has been far from an elite NHL goalie, he has had surgery and has suffered two injuries(one of which he is still out for). As a result his trade value has dropped. 

I'm done with this circular argument. by your logic, mcdavid wouldn't be considered elite prior to being drafted either, which is obviously really dumb. 

4 minutes ago, tas said:

I'm done with this circular argument. by your logic, mcdavid wouldn't be considered elite prior to being drafted either, which is obviously really dumb. 

You haven't really been putting up much of an argument. 

Not really what I have been saying whatsoever. What I am arguing is that he isn't an elite NHL talent until he proves it in the NHL which McDavid proved when he stepped in as an 18 year old.

8 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

That wouldn't be too bad as a base.

DeSmith, + Kapanen + Blomqvist + pick(ering)/prospect for Demko.

They roll through playoffs with Jarry and coming back from injury Demko tandem, and then have insurance for a starter under a nice cost controlled deal for likely what remains of their dwindling contention window, to replace expiring Jarry next year.

Edited by aGENT

Just now, aGENT said:

DeSmith, + Kapanen + Blomqvist + pick(ering)/prospect for Demko.

They roll through playoffs with Jarry and coming back from injury Demko tandem, and then have insurance for a starter under a nice cost controlled deal for likely what remains of their dwindling contention window to replace Jarry next year.

Yeah I was thinking something similar along the lines of two of conditional 1st/Pickering/Blomqvist/Hallinder/Poulin. Pickering might be hard to pick out of Pittsburgh but he'd probably be my top target, even over Blomqvist. I really like his upside, late bloomer that went from 5'7" to 6'4" in a short timeframe. Give him a few years to grow into his body more when he's already a breakout machine. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah I was thinking something similar along the lines of two of conditional 1st/Pickering/Blomqvist/Hallinder/Poulin. Pickering might be hard to pick out of Pittsburgh but he'd probably be my top target, even over Blomqvist. I really like his upside, late bloomer that went from 5'7" to 6'4" in a short timeframe. Give him a few years to grow into his body more when he's already a breakout machine. 

Yeah Blomqvist + Pickering would be the ideal IMO. Another 1st wouldn't be awful either.

Then you run DeSmith/Martin next year and let Silovs and Blomqvist duke it out for Abby starter/first call up and eventual backup at the TDL (and hopefully starter gig in a couple seasons).

I’m okay trading Demko if the plan is to not compete for 3 years or so, but then why did we extend Kuzmenko? Miller and Mik signings i get (not that I agree) - they thought we’d be competing this year. If they can’t move Miller, then the only reason to move Demko would be because he’s damaged goods, and I doubt JR/PA would ruin their reputation that way. Any talk of another team overpaying is ridiculous- goalies just aren’t worth that much.

• Like 1