The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks getting calls on Thatcher Demko

1 minute ago, Canucks Curse said:

keep Demko, that game last night, he out played ottinger, him, Petey Hughes won us that game

Oettinger had an off game, they happen. There's no mistaking who's been the better tender this season and it sure as hell hasn't been Demko. 

• Cheers 1

Friedman said on their most recent 32 thoughts podcast that he thinks if anything happens with Demko it will be this summer, after he's had a chance to show he's healthy. Now this is my thought, nobody wants to make a playoff bet on his groin being completely recovered and ready to stand up to playoff stress, because there won't be any time-sharing once the playoffs start, your #1 plays all the games. Demko would by the long-term solution to the departure of Quick. He's a SoCal guy, and being trade to LA would be going home for him. I've said it before, if Hughes and Petey are the definition of the window management is aiming for, Demko is 3-4 years too old for that window, and he now has two serious injuries that have caused him to miss considerable time (concussion and groin), not to mention three other lower body/knee injuries and another concussion, on his resume. Silovs is the right age, which is why I think they had him up for an audition to see what he can do. He acquitted himself well, which I think makes a Demko trade more likely. Now hopefully Silovs can lead Abby to a long playoff run. I don't hate Demko, but if we're clearing the books, lets clear them all, JT, Brock, Garland, and any other over 25 we can get young assets or draft picks for.

41 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

Friedman said on their most recent 32 thoughts podcast that he thinks if anything happens with Demko it will be this summer, after he's had a chance to show he's healthy. Now this is my thought, nobody wants to make a playoff bet on his groin being completely recovered and ready to stand up to playoff stress, because there won't be any time-sharing once the playoffs start, your #1 plays all the games. Demko would by the long-term solution to the departure of Quick. He's a SoCal guy, and being trade to LA would be going home for him. I've said it before, if Hughes and Petey are the definition of the window management is aiming for, Demko is 3-4 years too old for that window, and he now has two serious injuries that have caused him to miss considerable time (concussion and groin), not to mention three other lower body/knee injuries and another concussion, on his resume. Silovs is the right age, which is why I think they had him up for an audition to see what he can do. He acquitted himself well, which I think makes a Demko trade more likely. Now hopefully Silovs can lead Abby to a long playoff run. I don't hate Demko, but if we're clearing the books, lets clear them all, JT, Brock, Garland, and any other over 25 we can get young assets or draft picks for.

Actually Demko is the right age.Tenders seem to be best going into their 30's to 35 

So we could just keep him.

• There it is 1

2 hours ago, cripplereh said:

Well when we start getting good we will or should have two good ones and maybe then Demko gets traded or becomes the backup.

so we should wait till demko is worth nothing more than a backup before trading him? we aint competing in the next 2-3 years.. demko contract will be over in 3.. if we can get value for him right now i'm all for moving him.. keeping demko in Vancouver doesn't help with the rebuild in the next 2-3 years.. easier to find a stop gap goalie in UFA while we continue our tank.. with demko's injury history.. he can very well be the next Cory Schneider.. couple good years left and then deteriorated fast.. we prolly aint competing till his contract is over.. and by then there's a big risk he's the next schneider.. if that's the case do both a favor give demko a chance at a contender if there's one willing ie LA while Van gains asset for 3-4 years down the road

i find it hard to believe a lot of the player before they came to vancouver were all doing fine.. and then as soon as they reach vancouver.. they don't know how to play hockey anymore.. i want to believe this is just a case of miscasting players in the wrong role putting them in a spot to fail

Edited by wai_lai416
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, canuckleheads fan said:

4 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

so we should wait till demko is worth nothing more than a backup before trading him? we aint competing in the next 2-3 years.. demko contract will be over in 3.. if we can get value for him right now i'm all for moving him.. keeping demko in Vancouver doesn't help with the rebuild in the next 2-3 years.. easier to find a stop gap goalie in UFA while we continue our tank.. with demko's injury history.. he can very well be the next Cory Schneider.. couple good years left and then deteriorated fast.. we prolly aint competing till his contract is over.. and by then there's a big risk he's the next schneider.. if that's the case do both a favor give demko a chance at a contender if there's one willing ie LA while Van gains asset for 3-4 years down the road

i find it hard to believe a lot of the player before they came to vancouver were all doing fine.. and then as soon as they reach vancouver.. they don't know how to play hockey anymore.. i want to believe this is just a case of miscasting players in the wrong role putting them in a spot to fail

Y'all know LA just traded Quick for Korpisalo, right?

Why ruin Silvos though?  Speaking of So-Cal... Gibson was amazing during a lot of bad ANA teams ... they didn't trade him.   Probably should have.    Demko isn't old as far as EP/QHs "window".   He's a great stop-gap at worst unless his injuries have mounted up to the point he's Salo but in net which wouldn't work well for us or a team trading for him.  

One year doesn't equal a career.    Every single year a different goalie moves into the top five and another out.   Blue chip number ones aren't easy to acquire.    Last year Martin was the man.    Silvos, odds are much greater he's a flash in the pan (Martin and 400 others like him) than an NHL starter.    As far as age goes, it's only relevant because Demko was used and abused and couldn't make it work.  Luongo was used and abused for at least 1/3 of his career.    Including his first two years with us.      You can't ice an NHL team like that either.    Even those great Oilers teams had veteran leaders.   Same with PIT first Crosby cup - loaded with them.   Same with CHI first cup.   Demko at 30-33?  That's a different story ... by then on his next deal and either settling into a back-up role or recovered and entering his latter half.    The best goalies don't suck at that age that's for sure.   

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Y'all know LA just traded Quick for Korpisalo, right?

The Kings wanted Gavrikov, and sent Quick as a cap dump, it's why they had to sweeten the deal with a #1 pick. Korpisalo is a rental. He's a FA after this year. While Demko is on a known contract for the next few years. Korpisalo's a backup, with a career GAA of 3.05 and a S% of .903. He's not going to be their starter going forward. They'll clear enough cap room this summer to acquire a true #1 goalie like Demko.

Don't get it... he has had a concussion and a groin injury that kept him out for 3 months, so now we should trade him? And who is going to take over in net?

Petey has had a concussion and various minor injuries. If he gets an injury that keeps him out for 3 months, should we trade him as well... and Quinn as well...

And if Silovs isn't able to do it, we're waisting Peteys hockey life. If ever there was a way to make Petey wanna leave, this would be high on the list. 

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Why ruin Silvos though?  Speaking of So-Cal... Gibson was amazing during a lot of bad ANA teams ... they didn't trade him.   Probably should have.    Demko isn't old as far as EP/QHs "window".   He's a great stop-gap at worst unless his injuries have mounted up to the point he's Salo but in net which wouldn't work well for us or a team trading for him.  

One year doesn't equal a career.    Every single year a different goalie moves into the top five and another out.   Blue chip number ones aren't easy to acquire.    Last year Martin was the man.    Silvos, odds are much greater he's a flash in the pan (Martin and 400 others like him) than an NHL starter.    As far as age goes, it's only relevant because Demko was used and abused and couldn't make it work.  Luongo was used and abused for at least 1/3 of his career.    Including his first two years with us.      You can't ice an NHL team like that either.    Even those great Oilers teams had veteran leaders.   Same with PIT first Crosby cup - loaded with them.   Same with CHI first cup.   Demko at 30-33?  That's a different story ... by then on his next deal and either settling into a back-up role or recovered and entering his latter half.    The best goalies don't suck at that age that's for sure.   

I think if they're going to move him for a good return, it'll have to be this summer. Hopefully he can stay healthy through the rest of the year, and play like his old self.

5 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Don't get it... he has had a concussion and a groin injury that kept him out for 3 months, so now we should trade him? And who is going to take over in net?

Petey has had a concussion and various minor injuries. If he gets an injury that keeps him out for 3 months, should we trade him as well... and Quinn as well...

And if Silovs isn't able to do it, we're waisting Peteys hockey life. If ever there was a way to make Petey wanna leave, this would be high on the list. 

First of all why does it matter who plays goal for the next two years, the team is going to be baaaaaad, that's what happens with a rebuild. Get a good return and move Demko to a team where he can win. If management wants to rack up good picks, play Delia and Martin. Or if they want, bring Silovs along as the eventual starter, and let him grow up with the young team. He certainly played well enough in his audition, so let him play.

Edited by canuckleheads fan

2 minutes ago, canuckleheads fan said:

First of all why does it matter who plays goal for the next two years, the team is going to be baaaaaad, that's what happens with a rebuild. Get a good return and move Demko to a team where he can win. If management wants to rack up good picks, play Delia and Martin. Or if they want, bring Silovs along as the eventual starter, and let him grow up with the young team. He certainly played well enough in his audition, so let him play.

A healthy Demko can win games (a lot of them) on his own.  He can win playoff series too. The guy is amazing. So having him playing great can accelerate any retool around Petey and Quinn. We can be a very good team by the 2024/2025 season. Unless the return for Demko is over the top fantastic, we need to keep him. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Petey has to get used to not making the playoffs for the next two years. Rebuilds don't happen in a season. If management is lucky they'll get a solid middle six forward or second or third pairing Dman unless we get a top-five pick. But that top pick  this year cN develop over the next couple of years. 

Edited by canuckleheads fan
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

A healthy Demko can win games (a lot of them) on his own.  He can win playoff series too. The guy is amazing. So having him playing great can accelerate any retool around Petey and Quinn. We can be a very good team by the 2024/2025 season. Unless the return for Demko is over the top fantastic, we need to keep him. 

Completely disagree, but I've made my case. We will see if a more structured defense helps, but who is going to play defense other than Hughes and maybe Bear? Do they sign some top 4 guys? That's not cheap. Do they draft them? That takes a few years to develop unless you get a Top 5 pick. This team needs at least two years to retool the defense alone.

• Vintage 1