The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Canucks trade Bo Horvat to Islanders for Anthony Beauvillier, Aatu Raty, 2023 1st-round draft pick

Just now, tan said:

agreed.

should be at least a D prospect + 1st

I'm happy with Raty as the main piece, but they should have gotten a dman back, not a small winger.  I'm not sure, but I think they've already got one of those

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, KyGuy123 said:

We just traded Horvat so we could sign Pettersson. 

No, you are unclear on the concept.

We traded Horvat BECAUSE we signed Boeser and Mikheyev.

We could have afforded both Pettersson and Horvat if we avoided signing the two above.

Pettersson signing is good till Spring 2024... plenty of time to adjust the roster.

Just now, stawns said:

A 5'11, 185 lb winger who doesn't score, heading to free agency (at that point)........realistically, what is a team going to give for that?  Not much.

Or our forward group and coaching style of RT provides better numbers on Beau and we get a second pick! 

Happy Be Positive GIF by V Energy

51 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

Ok; I'm with ya.

Out with the knives.

Not a Canuck!  Bo Sucks!

Not a Canuck, not your fault, now you're a Busteroo Bansai!!

(C'mon back Heff.)

Heff's still here

Just changed they Avetar to Crackie logo

Islanders will probably miss the playoffs. 

The more I think about it, I’m not sure why they made this trade. 

We will likely get a 15th overall pick to go along with our own 5-7th overall pick. That’s a pretty good way to restock the pool. 

And if the Isles somehow sink deeper in the standings, that signals bigger problem with their roster and they could bottom out next season giving us a top 10 pick? Or dare I dream, a top 5 pick?

Hey come to think of it, wasn’t it Lou who traded Bo to us for Schneids 10 years ago? So he’s just taking Bo back so that we can continue Corey Schneider trade tree. How nice of him!

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I usually agree with you, but I don't think this is a good trade at all. Horvat was a 9th overall pick at the time. Since then, he's improved a lot.

Now if we're looking at it from that standpoint, the 1st round pick this year is protected, which means the Islanders have the leverage. If say they win the Stanley Cup next year, we'll be getting the 31st overall (worst case scenario). That's not a good return at all.

Raty is doing well in the AHL. So let's say he's comparable to Hoglander in that respect (Hoglander is not a C, I'm aware). That's a B+ prospect, at best. He may do well, or he might not. Raty dropped a lot in his draft year because scouts didn't think he was that good.

Beauvillier is a winger - a redundant piece that doesn't necessarily help us in the future.

The only time this trade would be good is if the Islanders miss the playoffs next year and are at the very bottom of the standings. There's too much uncertainty in this trade for a surefire talent like Horvat.

This is a bad return for the Canucks, IMO, especially if Horvat is re-signed long term with the Islanders at a good cap hit.

Canucks lose again.

The Isles are not winning the Cup next year. I'd bet my entire life savings on it. Raty has top 6 upside, he has immense skills, and he isn't small. B+ prospect sounds fair. He has A prospect upside, but would need a lot to go right to reach it. I'd rate Hogs lower but that's just me. Beauvillier was 100% a cap move. One of the better ones, he's only locked up for next season. I am fine with him.

That 1st rounder though. There isn't a team in the Horvat running that would have offered us a better 1st round pick, which is why I say it's the best value 1st. Detroit was never gonna give it to us, and if people think they would have without protection are lost. The Isles are literally banking their life on Horvat breathing life into their scoring. I don't think they are making the playoffs this year, I also don't think they're drafting top 12. But even if they are. They have no cap to make moves this summer. So if they weren't good enough to make the playoffs this year, and were bad enough to draft top 10. Why would they be an improved team next year? That was us last summer, except worse. Cause we actually added pieces in the offseason and still sucked worse than last season.

If they lose out this year, draft top 10. We are getting a lottery pick next year. Bo would literally have to be a 50 goal scorer going forward to move the pendulum for that team. Possible? I guess. Highly improbable though. He is having the year of his life playing in a contract year. Can he do it consistently is the key. Also, there's no guarantee they even can keep him, especially if they lose out like you say to move that 1st to next year. Very few of the naysayers are bringing up the fact he's a UFA. If he wasn't taking a friendly contract for us. The team he essentially grew up with, started a family with. Why would he re-sign with a just as bad team (again, going on the idea they draft top 12 this year) that he doesn't really have ties to?

• Cheers 4

Just now, grandmaster said:

Or our forward group and coaching style of RT provides better numbers on Beau and we get a second pick! 

Happy Be Positive GIF by V Energy

I wouldn't be surprised if PA insisted on a second and Lou convinced him to take a protected 1st

Just now, Zerofaith said:

Whooppiiiieddiiii doooooo

so what keeps failing to get D m’en we need 

bunch of monkeys running this team 

Interesting take. 

How many teams offer young dmen for 27 year old pending UFAs?

Now how many will offer young dmen for 23 1sts and top prospects?

• There it is 1